CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Jacob Sharp

Profile:
Pacemaker/Heat issues

I have been introducing Crossfit to my fellow coworkers when I came across a difficult case. One of my coworkers is overweight and about 45 years old and would like to get fit. The catch is that he has a bad heart. He has a pacemaker that is about 5 years old. He has a condition which causes his heart rate to go out of control when he exerts himself. His doctors have told him to get used to being overweight and to not put any strain on his upper body. He has been turned down by personal trainers before who do not want to risk him being injured on their watch. I am not CF certified yet and feel unqualified to give advice. Any thoughts on what, if anything, would work for this person? If more details are needed on his condition I can find those out.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Pacemaker/Heat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Sharp View Post
I have been introducing Crossfit to my fellow coworkers when I came across a difficult case. One of my coworkers is overweight and about 45 years old and would like to get fit. The catch is that he has a bad heart. He has a pacemaker that is about 5 years old.
okay.. firstly... this wouldnt be new news to him. Most likely he has been told multiple times to improve his cardiac fitness. So he needs ultimately to decide whether or not he wants/needs to do this.

His pacer age has nothing to do with it. Batteries on them are rated for 15 years depending on the programming of the unit.

Quote:
He has a condition which causes his heart rate to go out of control when he exerts himself.
Several conditions that fall into this reaction... But the fitter the physical condition, and the less body weight.. there is a chance that the condition will improve but not necessarily "cured" most likely it may not be as problematic as it is now but cant predict that.
Quote:
His doctors have told him to get used to being overweight and to not put any strain on his upper body.
Garbage Most likely it was "lose weight and exercise." he could have chosen to hear the opposite. The upper body strain is somewhat true.. the pacer maker is not secured under the skin. its just embedded under it.
He needs to look at the basics:l ook at his diet, change his diet, and improvements in his diet. Exercise would be just get moving and some light resistance til his weight is not being a trigger the heart problem.

Quote:
He has been turned down by personal trainers before who do not want to risk him being injured on their watch. I am not CF certified yet and feel unqualified to give advice. Any thoughts on what, if anything, would work for this person? If more details are needed on his condition I can find those out.
Thanks!
Its commendable that you want to help him out. But you maybe out of your league in helping him. Best help find an an exercise physiologist that has a cardiac rehab background. His cardiologist is going to have multiple trainers to refer him to. He needs to talk to his Cardiologist to get that help.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Is it a pure pacemaker or an AICD? In very simple terms does it "shock" bad, runaway rhythms if they pop up from time to time, or does it keep his baseline heart rate above a certain level? A pacemaker is designed to deliver a very low current for a slow heart rate in order to speed it up, he won't feel those low energy pulses. An Automatic Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator is designed to produce a more powerful shock to slow down a runaway heart rate. He will definitely feel that one if it fires. If it is an AICD, he'll need to know the heart rate that it is designed to shock at. Frank is right, have him talk to his cardiologist and get the details of what device is implanted before he does exercise that hits heart rates over 150.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Jenny Butler

Profile:

Right on Tom. Why does he have to permanently stay away from upper body exercises? Usually a cardiologist will tell you not to do strenuous upper body exercise for 2-3 months until the PACER/ICD basically becomes seeded in place,but of course he should talk to his cardiologist/electrophysiologist first, they all have different guidelines. I came across a really cool blog on athletes with ICD's a little while ago, I'll provide a link which is SAFE to VIEW AT WORK. http://v-tach.blogspot.com/