CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Stuart Buck
Member Stuart Buck is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springdale  AR
Posts: 260
No Massages

New study here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0507164405.htm wfs Not vouching for it, as there are no details about the methodology, but the finding is interesting:
Quote:
A Queen’s University research team has blown open the myth that massage after exercise improves circulation to the muscle and assists in the removal of lactic acid and other waste products.

* * *
Kinesiology MSc candidate Vicky Wiltshire and Dr. Tschakovsky set out to discover if this untested hypothesis was true, and their results show that massage actually impairs blood flow to the muscle after exercise, and that it therefore also impairs the removal of lactic acid from muscle after exercise.
__________________
Squat: 315x15 | max pullups: 36 | deadlift: 515| press: 180
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: No Massages

1. What kind of massage were they using. That's the main question.

2. You don't need to "remove" lactic acid at all because it's not the cause of DOMS/etc..... unless you have an event within like 20 minutes after the event you just performed in.....

That's the only reason you would have to improve metabolic recovery.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador
Member Andrew H. Meador is offline
 
Andrew H. Meador's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Williamstown  MA
Posts: 917
Re: No Massages

I knew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
2. You don't need to "remove" lactic acid at all because it's not the cause of DOMS/etc..... unless you have an event within like 20 minutes after the event you just performed in.....
True. Lactic acid is a source of energy. The associated positive ions are the cause of muscular micro-fissures (and therefore muscular inflammation and pain).
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings. -W. Mozart
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: No Massages

Quote:
The associated positive ions are the cause of muscular micro-fissures (and therefore muscular inflammation and pain).
What???
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Jeff Yan
Member Jeff Yan is offline
 
Jeff Yan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York City  New York
Posts: 868
Re: No Massages

Who cares? Massages feel awesome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Emily Maisannes
Member Emily Maisannes is offline
 
Emily Maisannes's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 1,114
Re: No Massages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
Who cares? Massages feel awesome.
Agreed!
__________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
My CF workout log
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Departed
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Re: No Massages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
Who cares? Massages feel awesome.
I agree with Emily's agreement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
Marcel Zwinger
Member Marcel Zwinger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Podersdorf  Burgenland
Posts: 327
Re: No Massages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
I agree with Emily's agreement.
Chris, I agree
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Andrew H. Meador
Member Andrew H. Meador is offline
 
Andrew H. Meador's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Williamstown  MA
Posts: 917
Re: No Massages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
Who cares? Massages feel awesome.
True

Re: Stephen

DOMS is caused by nerves being impacted upon by inflamed muscle tissue. This inflammation is caused by damage caused to the muscle by exercise. H+ ions contribute to this damage. H+ ions help to convert pyruvic acid into lactic acid, which is then used as a fuel source. Lactic acid is not "a waste product" of glycolysis.
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings. -W. Mozart
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: No Massages

Quote:
H+ ions help to convert pyruvic acid into lactic acid, which is then used as a fuel source. Lactic acid is not "a waste product" of glycolysis.
Well, that's not true which was why I wanted you to clarify.

1. H+ are byproducts of carbohydrate oxidation as well as ATP -> ADP + P dephosphorylation.

2. Stoichiometrically, there is no acid produced or needed in conversion of pyruvic acid to lactic acid.

3. Yes, lactic acid is an intermediate metabolite... not waste product. Although accumulation can be thought of as anaerobic waste I suppose if you want to measure intensity of exercise.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massages Jason Tanner Health and Medical Issues 3 05-19-2008 05:41 PM
Plantar Fasciitis stretches/massages Peter Dell'Orto Injuries 8 11-01-2007 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.