CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Liam McKarry

Profile:
Marathon Running and CF

I've run a search and have come up empty on info relating to training to run a marathon while doing CF.

Personally I'm not running the event but a good friend of mine needs a training partner to get ready for a marathon and given that I'm always up for a bit of stupidness I've agreed to do his training runs.

The event is nearly a year away so there is plenty of time but I'm interested in whether the assembled knowledge of the message board thinks about the most appropriate training method - I'm pretty much leaning toward CF Endurance methodology but the guy actually doing the marathon is a distance runner who prefers LSD work.

Your educated views would be most appreciated.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Wil Vicinus

Profile:
Re: Marathon Running and CF

Speaking from personal experience, CF Endurance is the way to go!

I started out as a marathoner, and for my first 10 marathons saw very little improvement. For the 9th and 10th I was dogged by hamstring injuries as well.

Then I discovered CrossFit - after just a few months of training CF 3x/week as a supplement to my running program, and eliminating my middle-distance run, I was injury-free and set a PR in my next marathon (by over 10 minutes!)

At that point I was still on the LSD regime. I got certified in CFE last fall, and while I haven't officially adopted CFE or run a marathon yet since then, I am seeing good improvement in my mile and 5k time trials based on the modified CFE programming I have started working into my training. Still injury-free, too.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Thanks Wil

So are you following CFE drills with one longer distance per week or do you have some additional plan?

Basically my friend seems to want to do 5 - 7 milers twice a week followed by a 'distance' run at the end of the week. That seems a bit contrary to CFE but being a marathon virgin I'm just looking for info here.

Basically I want to make my training as efficient as possible.

How do you get on when you do heavy metcon (I'm thinking Murph et al) workouts on run training days? Do you just rely on the mainsite stuff or do 'muscle out' the run anyway?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
Thanks Wil

So are you following CFE drills with one longer distance per week or do you have some additional plan?

Basically my friend seems to want to do 5 - 7 milers twice a week followed by a 'distance' run at the end of the week. That seems a bit contrary to CFE but being a marathon virgin I'm just looking for info here.

Basically I want to make my training as efficient as possible.

How do you get on when you do heavy metcon (I'm thinking Murph et al) workouts on run training days? Do you just rely on the mainsite stuff or do 'muscle out' the run anyway?
You should read over some of the posts on the CFE forums.

The program outlined by your friend may work but I don't think it is as efficient as possible.

If you are already doing CF, work in 2-3 runs per week. Make one of them a longer tempo run (between 10k and 13.1 miles). The other two can be two intervals, or one interval and one short tempo (between 1 mile and 5k, maybe up to 10k once in awhile).

Take the day off from CF when you do the long tempo run.

If you are already doing CF, adding in a short interval or short tempo in addition to a heavy metcon should be doable. It will be hard, but of course, the CFE program is supposed to be hard. Try to maintain 3 hours between workouts on days where you have to do CF and CFE.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Thanks for the help Shane.

I'll take a look at the CFE forum (stupid not to look there to begin with!)

Really useful advice much appreciated.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

Liam, like Shane mentioned the best bet is to spend some time on the CFE site. www.crossfitendurance.com (wfs)

It's helpful to be a week or two behind the main site for your CF WODs - this way if anything comes up that is too brutal if you're on a double with CF/CFE (for example, Murph + a 10k time trial) you can sub a different CF WOD.

I have cut out my LSD entirely, focusing instead on higher intensity when I do run. I am currently only supplementing my CF with occasional CFE workouts but even in that limited capacity I'm seeing good results and am looking forward to getting more into the CFE program over the next few months.

best of luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

CFE works well for people who already have a solid aerobic background, results may differ if this is your first foray into endurance.
CF and CfE wil help, as will running, however most "running "programs have you run far too much, so if your friend is doing a standard 6 days week running you may want to drop it to 3 days a week with only one of those being "longer".
Take your rest days when you need them and train HARD when you do train.
Learn how to dial in your nutrition while on the move,it makes a world of difference for those longer days.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're looking to become advanced/elite with marathoners... you're gonna have to put up the miles and intervals/speed work like the kenyans/ethiopians do.

But if you're just looking to do well and improve yourself... CFE will work just fine.

Putting in miles without any type of interval/speed work is stupid because there's very little improvement.

As is people doing marathons to "finish" one IMO.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
John Penner

Profile:

Go to Runner's world .com and check out the F.I.R.S.T. run 3 days a week training plan. You can do CF 3 days a week. Rest 1 day a week. As far as the runs go, 1 day speed, 1 day tempo, 1 day long.

read for yourself and decide.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
As is people doing marathons to "finish" one IMO.
Curious as to why?