CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Scaling

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm asking alot of questions that have already been answered.
If it's any concerlation I do
1) Look at the last 50 thread headings
2) Search and read for about 20min
Before posting a question.

QUESTION.
Ok so a buddy and I of similar 'fitness' have started the Main Site WoD.
Now I've read about this scaling thing.
What are our goals in a WoD???

How do I know which 'scale' I (we) should be at on the CFX website?

Thanks for your patience with this newbie

Sean
Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
QUESTION.
Ok so a buddy and I of similar 'fitness' have started the Main Site WoD.
Now I've read about this scaling thing.
What are our goals in a WoD???

How do I know which 'scale' I (we) should be at on the CFX website?
The goal of the WOD is usually stated in the description of the workout. Often, it's to finish the stated number of reps in minimum time. Sometimes, it's to finish as many rounds as possible in a given time, or to lift as much weight as possible. Read the description, the comment thread, and any related threads in the WOD forum.

Start with the Brand X workout that looks too easy. If it really is, scale up next time. If you can't move the next day, scale down.

Katherine
Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Alex Europa

Profile:

That's pretty good advice from Katherine.

Generally, the eventual goal is to be able to complete the WODs at the Rx'd weight/reps without stopping. Yes, there are some WODs that even the best will be forced to break up the sets into more managable numbers...but the goal is to eventually get to completely unbroken sets with as fast a transition as possible.

How you get there is up to you and your strengths. Some people scale the weight and keep the reps the same. Some people scale the reps and keep the weight the same. Others scale down both. This is, of course, after the initial "indoctrination period" of heavily scaling down the weight/intensity to develop technique and consistency. Even if you follow the BrandX scaling to a T (which is the best route for beginners until they gain a better understand of their strengths/weaknesses and the programming) understand that you don't have to stay with one Level of scaling. You can do puppy one day, porch the next, and Rx'd the last...it all depends on your skill/ability on that particular WOD.

- Alex
Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

ok,

So we did the filthy 50. We made some changes and scaled back a few things, but it was basically the same. But for alot of it we were breaking it up into generally 3 set, some times 5, and even a 6 in there.

The rule tends to be work on technique first, then speed, then weight, then volumn. well thats how it works in Rucking anyway.

So how many rep breaks is about right? We took about 30min to do the fithy fifty, it felt more like a grind then a high intensity.

Sean
Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Is it gassing vs tanking. We want to stop becuase of muscel fatigue not cos of cardio fatigue?

S
Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
ok,

So we did the filthy 50. We made some changes and scaled back a few things, but it was basically the same. But for alot of it we were breaking it up into generally 3 set, some times 5, and even a 6 in there.

The rule tends to be work on technique first, then speed, then weight, then volumn. well thats how it works in Rucking anyway.

So how many rep breaks is about right? We took about 30min to do the fithy fifty, it felt more like a grind then a high intensity.

Sean
The rep breaks are up to you, but generally the fewer the better. Plus you want to make sure your breaks are shorter. If you're taking 2 minute breaks then you're defeating the purpose of the workout.

One thing I've learned is that there is no true right or wrong with crossfit. We all do different things with different wods and workouts. The importance is that you are pushing yourself as hard as you possibly and seeing improvement each time. You gotta do what's best for you.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Is it gassing vs tanking. We want to stop becuase of muscel fatigue not cos of cardio fatigue?
Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. I hit muscle fatigue first because I'm relatively weak. Someone with a lifting background might have no problem with the weight, but hit cardio fatigue easily.

Katherine
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
The rep breaks are up to you, but generally the fewer the better. Plus you want to make sure your breaks are shorter. If you're taking 2 minute breaks then you're defeating the purpose of the workout.

One thing I've learned is that there is no true right or wrong with CrossFit. We all do different things with different wods and workouts. The importance is that you are pushing yourself as hard as you possibly and seeing improvement each time. You gotta do what's best for you.

Thanks for the replies folks,

So to clarify,

With my scaling do I want to aim to hit Muscle Fatigue or MetCon Fatigue.

Surely the scaling goal is to maybe have to break up each exercise into 2-3 sets (i.e. reach Muscular fatigue 2-3 times during that exercise).

If I have to stop due to being out of breath, thatís OK, just push as hard as I can, my MetCon will catch up and then Iíll start primarily experiencing the Muscle Fatigue.

Yes?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Sorry let me be more clear

I.e. for the Fithy Fifty scale so I reach fatigue 2-3 times
For the WoDs that are already 4 sets or 5 sets try to scale so I can do a whole set with 0-1 breaks.

essentially applying the 3 sets to fatigue rule as you would in isolation work.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Peter Evans

Profile:

Hey Sean,

You want both approaches to WODs

1) Go hard, hit the wall move through the rest as best as possible.

2) Next time Pace yourself based on the feedback you get from doing the above approach and break hard sections into managable chunks.

Alternate between the two approaches.

Simple reason - to hit the goal of work capacity across broad time and modal domain you need to keep the stimulus varied - including pacing or not of the WOD.

The first approach may hit your muscular stamina and the second may affect your cardio endurance more.

Simple aim - to increase the amount of work you can do in a shorter time frame (therefore become more powerful) and condition yourself mentally to the harder aspects of the CF WOD.

Have both, plus its more fun!