CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-08-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Been reading lots of Dan John material lately and he seems to have lots of respect for one-handed lifts.I was trying to think of one-handed exercises besides the usual snatches, cleans, Turkish get-ups, etc.Then I was wondering if one-handed dumbell thrusters would be a worthy exercise.Seems like the legs would get twice the work and the core would be stimulated more because of the balance required when using just one-hand.I plan on giving these a try today in my warm-ups but has anyone else tried them or have an opinion about them?
Old 06-08-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Matt- Your one arm DB thruster idea is nice! In reading your post I was reminded of some other rarely utilized movements.

One of my mentors taught me a series of DB movements years ago. I know that XFIT posted a Dan John seminar photo with everyone engaged in a waiters walk. (BTW-I am assuming that my invite was lost in the mail) This is an excellent movement.

Along with some other gems, Tom Cross taught me the waiters lunge walk. There are variations off of this movement. You can lunge with your arm in front or at the side. If you are really in for some punishment, give waiters duck walk some time with all the above mentioned positions.

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 06-09-2004, 05:37 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Try using a barbell instead of a dumbell. That adds a whole additional layer of fun. Also, if you haven't tried Side and Bent Presses with a barbell, they are a lot of fun. The difference between the two--as I do them, in any event--is you lean to the side on the Side press, but don't bend your legs.

An obvious parallel to the thruster as well would be the Jerk. I used to do a lot of 1 hand barbell clean and jerks. That is a very fun movement, but I feel like the two handed movements are better for power development for the obvious reason that you use heavier weights. The 1 hand stuff will work your obliques really well.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:04 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Two more: 1 hand deadlifts (great grip exercise), and 1 hand overhead lockouts. For the lockouts, stand in a power rack, and set the pins so you are bending your legs slightly. Lift the barbell out of the rack with a straight arm. You will find muscles in your upper back you didn't know you had.

I've tried 1H overhead squats, too, but they hurt my back for some weird reason. Check out http://www.iowastrong.com/oneoverhead.html

Surf around that site, too. Usually you click on the corn.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Here's a nice and risky one if you're silly with it. 2 hands anyhow, using a barbell and a dumbell/kettlebell. My favourite method is to power snatch the bar overhead with one hand in the middle and one at the plates so I don't have to adjust at the top. Then it's a 1 arm overhead squat to pick up the dumbell and swing it overhead. I'll need to practice a lot more before I'm putting respectable amounts over my head but still tough at light weights.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Lots of good suggestions guys.Having done a lot of work on the old York lifting courses, I've enjoyed one-handed lifts and think they are beneficial.Have yet to try the two hands anyhow and Barry, your one-hand barbell thruster sounds like a real challenge.I'll have to give both a shot.

I did the one-arm thrusters with a #35 kettlebell in my warm-up yesterday and I like the feel.Probably start incorporating these more frequently into my warm-ups.
Thanks again for the ideas.I appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Matt -

Do you know all the RKC exercises and their variations(Windmill, Double-KB Windmill, KB Side Press, Bent Press, etc.)?
If you don't, let me know and I'll describe the exercises; they're fun.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Matt,

One thing: if you do barbell thrusters, keep the barbell pointing forward and backward. It is really hard keeping it straight if it's in the front. I found with the 1H C&J I had to Jerk it instantly or it would swing around.

The 2 Hands Anyhow record is only about 400 pounds, so I bet it's ripe for the picking.:happy:

Seriously, it is astounding what the old-timers did. A lot of them died young, but some didn't. I was just reading that Thomas Inch deadlifted 560 at age 68. I think part of it is they didn't understand Progessive Overload, so they kept switching it up and rarely did two workouts exactly alike. They also did a lot of different sports, especially boxing, wrestling, swimming and cycling. Sounds familiar.

Apropo of nothing, a good quote from Louie Simmons: "When your body has all the answers, you need to change the questions."
Old 06-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
Mark Mueller

Profile:
Ross,

I would love a description of all those kb exercises (Matt and I work out together sometimes).
Old 06-09-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Ross-I'm familiar with the bent press, but lost on the others.Descriptions would be great if you don't mind.I hear the evil wheels spinning around in Mark's head from here.

Barry-Thanks for the tip on thrusters.I will definitely keep that in mind.RE the oldtimers, I agree.Some truly amazing individuals.I especially liked reading about Bob Peoples and his deadlift training.This guy was a hard working farmer by day and deadlifting animal by night.