CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:
Re: Heavy D's Workout Log

From CrossFit SanFrancisco via Mpower CrossFit:

"Snitting is the act of quitting or abandoning a workout or race because it is difficult, or because it does not go as planned. In World Cup level Whitewater Slalom, “snitting” is the lowest form of competitive behavior. But, snitting can be observed in nearly every sport.

When an athlete snits, it speaks volumes about that person’s stability under pressure, their developed level of self-efficacy, and their potential capacities as an athlete.
Great athletes never snit. Remember when Bodi Miller lost a ski mid course and finished the race skiing down on one ski? Not a snitter. In the olympics this year, there was a top female American marathon runner that was clearly cramping and having the worst day of her life. She literally walked parts of the course until she could run again. She had many chances to abandon, but she finished–and poorly. Not a snit.

It is rare in a Crossfit workout to actually see someone snit. We have witnessed it a few times in the last three years and when it happens, especially viewed within the context of the global suffering going on around the snitter, it is shocking.

More often though, we witness athletes snitting reps or rounds. Not Snitting is a conscious decision to stay in the pain cave. It is fortitude to finish in last place, but to finish. Honest counting mistakes do occur, but Snitting due to discomfort is a deliberate thumb in the eye of self achievement and very, very low.

We are all going to have bad training days that are based on no sleep, being thrashed from the week’s workouts, or bad nutrition. How we deal with the collapse of our performance is probably the most important thing we train for. The larger life metaphor for what snitting behavior represents doesn’t even have to be made here.

So don’t snit, and (MODIFIED FROM POST DISCUSSION) when you percieve that one of your fellow athletes is close to a snit attack, realize that right then they need you most. Lean over, and tell them to hang on. They’d do the same for you. (Thanks Danny and Ross)"

Today's WOD was "Hansen," a (new?) Hero workout. I haven't heard of this one before, and I don't think it is in the FAQ's as a Hero, but it SURE AS HELL deserves Hero status.

"Hansen"

Five rounds for time of:
30 reps Kettlebell swing 70#/ 50#
30 Burpees
30 Glute-ham sit-ups

My overall time came to 40:06. I had 30 GH situps to do at the 39:00 mark, and I tried to beat 40 minutes, but just came up short.

I did the female RX (50) which is absolutely rediculous. I will bow and kiss the feet of any woman who is capable of doing this in a respectable time.

Hansen has reverted me back to the mentality of the former 3 year old I once was. All I want to do is curl up into a little ball and call for mommy.

40 of the hardest minutes in my 20 years of life.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

So I'm on summer vacation starting this monday (6 days from now). My roommate and I have been doing CF religiously at least 4 times a week, sometimes even 5 or 6 depending on our schedules.

We've decided to do our own "CrossFit Total" to see what our maxes are in several different exercises. This way, when we get back from our summer vacation, we can do this "CrossFit Total" again to see how much we have improved since last working out together.

So today was the first of three days, and this was the workout:

*Max Bench Press (3 attempts for one rep)
215 Successful
235 Successful
255 Unsuccessful-----> 235 Max

*Max Deadlift (3 attempts for one rep)
255 Successful
275 Successful
295 Unsuccessful-----> 275 Max

*AMRAP Knees to Elbows in 2:00
32 Reps

*AMRAP Double-Unders in 2:00
54 Reps

***There was a 5 minute rest period in between each exercise***
Old 05-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Today was day two of our very own "CrossFit Total"

The exercises consisted of:

*Max Push Press (3 attempts)
125 Successful
145 Successful
175 Successful-----> 175 Max. (I think I could have done more if I had another attempt or two...)

*Max Backsquat (3 attempts)
175 Successful
195 Successful
205 Successful-----> 205 Max. (Again, this weight was pretty easy for me and I wish I had another attempt. My only problem is that the weight REALLY digs into my neck/spine/shoulders, and it HURTS! I didn't want to use that stupid rubber pad though.)

*AMRAP pullups (unbroken) in 2:00
24 Reps (jumped up from a previous PR of 16 I believe)

*AMRAP burpees in 2:00
43 reps

*AMRAP until failure of Handstand Pushups (against a wall, unbroken)
9 reps (Tried to shoot for 10 but lost my balance)

I was really happy with my overall performance tonight, especially with my pullups and my HSPU's
Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

"CrossFit Total" Day Three:

*Max Front Squats (3 attempts)
150# Successful
160# Successful
175# Successful-----> 175# Max

*Max Pushups in 2:00
53 Reps (broken up)

*Max Dips in 2:00
45 Reps (broken up)

*5k Run
I ran the first mile in 6:36 and didn't have the energy/will to finish the 5k. The fact that I couldn't finish MY OWN workout really bothered me. =/

Anyway, I was somewhat happy with my frontsquat, so I guess I can't complain.

It was too late by the time I got back to my room to post, so this is why I'm posting late, just in case anyone was wondering.. haha
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

So today my roommates little brother came to visit from New Jersey. He's also a coach at his CF affiliate, so it was nice to get some good coaching.

We decided to do Fran together, just for a quick, fun workout.

Both of them PR'ed, one upping his weight but lowering his time, one RXing and dropping his PR time by at least 5 minutes.

I stepped up to the plate, and didn't perform as well as I would have liked. Tonight's Fran time was 6:49, 30 seconds slower than my last attempt (and PR).

I originally tried 135# Fran, and did 13 Thrusters before I completely ditched all attempts. I'm thinking this had some sort effect on my PR attempt, but I can't be making excuses for myself.

Oh well. Fran is always a good time.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

I have been seriously slacking lately. I haven't worked out in three days, and it was really getting to me. I forced myself to the YMCA today just so I wouldn't have to deal with another day's worth of guilt.

My last workout, which I forgot to post was done on Wednesday. I took the workout from the main site, and chose "Mary" because it was late and the Y was closed. I figured I could do this one easily in the comfort of my own bedroom!

"Mary"
AMRAP in 20 minutes:
5 Handstand Pushups
10 one-legged squats, alternating
15 Pullups

I ended up completing 7 rounds of this. I wasn't too happy with my performance, but this was the first time I ever tried it. On my VERY FIRST HSPU, I smashed my knee against my dresser drawer and I got a nasty charlie horse, along with some of the old sticky red stuff. That messed up any attempt at a decent one-legged squat, and I began to support myself on the edge of my bed. (Shame on me). I finished 6 true rounds of the HSPU's, but on the 7th I was gassed and had to sub them for 10 REG pushups.
Pullups got pretty hard towards the end (again... I NEED TO LEARN THE KIP!)

Today's WoD:
Five Rounds for time:
8 Deadlifts 185# (scaled it down to 155#)
Run 400m

I was unsure as to whether or not the YMCA would allow me to do deadlifts with their steel weights, so I cautiously set up my little station, and just went to it. I had my Ipod on as to keep anyone from bothering me. Nobody said a word, but I felt a few glares behind my back.
My overall time came out to 12:34, but I stopped my stopwatch everytime I finished the last rep or meter because I had to walk/jog to the other side of the gym to get to/from the treadmills.

I'm glad I got back into the wods, but I can tell it's going to be really hard following CF on my own, with only the local YMCA equipment to work with.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

PS: I don't know how to edit something that I have already posted, so that's the reason for my double post.

Anyway, just a quick update on CrossFit Endurance. I've still been slacking on that, and don't want to jump into something I'm unfamiliar with. I'm thinking of taking some swimming classes at the YMCA so I can incorporate those swims into my Endurance workouts. Also, I just recently decided to run the Chicago Marathon this coming November, so next month my training will begin for that. I don't know if I'll be able to handle the CF WoDs, CFE workouts, as well as my marathon training runs. I think I'll just stick to what I'm doing as of now and see where it takes me.

I can't think of any other important news for now other than I might start on the P90x (90 days of "HIGH INTENSITY" workouts) program on top of my CF workouts. The main goal of the P90x is for looks, rather than performance, I know. But I figure if I can do CF's workouts for performance, as well as P90x's program for looks, I will become a force to be reckoned with. Also, I really like the idea of stretching and doing Yoga multiple times a week with P90x.

I haven't been stretching, or doing any type of warmup since starting CF, and I know I probably should be.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Today I chose to do "Cindy" from the main site. There was a choice between this and Mary a few days ago, so I figured I would do both in time...

I also incorporated somewhat of a warmup today. As I said, I was told to start warming up beforehand, and this is what I came up with:

WARM-UP:
3 Rounds, 10 reps each of:
Samson Stretch (10 seconds each side)
Pullups
Pushups
Situps
Squats

Then I went right into it.
"Cindy"
AMRAP in 20 minutes of:
5 Pullups
10 Pushups
15 Squats

The fact that the warmup greatly resembles the workout is purely coincidence. I thought about it afterwards and questioned whether or not I should've done a workout that might've hurt my performance. However, I came across a post last night that stated pretty bluntly something like, "CrossFit trains you for life." Meaning, life isn't going to let you pick and choose when you have to do certain things (ie. do a crazy amount of pushups or a crazy amount of lifting over your head, etc.) I'm not getting my point across as nicely as I would've liked, but I hope it makes sense.

Anyway, I finished 17 full rounds, plus I got an extra 5 pullups in within the last 20 seconds. I was very proud of this performance, since I was originally shooting for 15 rounds.

These always seem to turn into rants.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #19
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Via Mpower CrossFit:

Found this on the Front Range CF page: “The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on my life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company … a church … a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past … we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude … I am convinced that life is ten percent what happens to me and ninety percent how I react to it. And so it is with you … we are in charge of our attitudes.” Charles Swindoll

I find the words and ideas and goals/ambitions of CrossFitters to be like none other, and I am so inspired by the words of the people who are continually trying to improve their lives (mentally, physically, AND emotionally). This article specifically hits home. A little more than a year ago I was in a bit of a depressive state of mind my first year of college. I caught myself thinking and saying negative things on a continual basis. I surrounded myself by people who viewed the world similarly, so all day I heard nothing but negativity. I finally put the effort in to stop it, and began to think of the world in a positive way. This has made all the difference.

Today's WoD was so much fun!

Row 500m
Benchpress Bodyweight 30 reps (185#)
Row 1000m
Benchpress BW 20 reps
Row 2000m
Benchpress BW 10 reps

Total time: 22:41

I did this after completing a 15 minute ab workout followed by a 45 minute cycling class at the YMCA. I'm wondering if my time might've been a bit faster without these? I like to think that extra work before the actual WoD only helps my endurance, etc. =)

I've had multiple friends ask me about my workout schedule, and what my "workout" is. I tell them I wake up to a surprise workout every single day, and I hardly ever do the same thing twice. They're all bewildered, but show interest.

Maybe I can create a few converts?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Ok so tomorrow is absolutely going to be a rest day. I definitely need it, and deserve it. I went to a bootcamp session at the Y today and guess what they made me do?

MORE CYCLING! My legs are TOAST! The bootcamp session today just happened to be 45 minutes of cycling followed by 15 minutes of "strength training."

Anyway, I went up to the weight room directly after to tackle this nice little workout:

400m sprint (SUPPOSED to be 200m, but I tacked a few more meters on)
40 kb swings (35#)
10 pushups
5 burpees
400m sprint
30 kb swings
10 pushups
5 burpees
400m sprint
20 kb swings
10 pushups
5 burpees
400m sprint
10 kb swings
10 pushups
5 burpees

This was a killer workout. MY legs were already dead by this point, and the KB swings were REALLY tough. The runs were also very tough, and the two of these back to back was pure misery. Ironically the pushups and burpees were my "rest." HA!

Total time: 20:23

Until next time.