CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #511
Randy Hill
Member Randy Hill is offline
 
Randy Hill's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 648
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Is anybody here doing CFSB and eating strictly paleo? If so, what are you experiencing?
__________________
"Strong people are harder to kill, and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #512
Júlíus Magnússon
Departed Júlíus Magnússon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
 
Posts: 1,282
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

What kind of question is that, Randy?

Everything is better paleo. :P
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #513
Eric Simpson
Member Eric Simpson is offline
 
Eric Simpson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Newmarket  On
Posts: 293
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Is anybody here doing CFSB and eating strictly paleo? If so, what are you experiencing?
I sorta do? I eat Yams/Sweet Potatoes PWO and Oats for Breakfast and Ive made good gains so far on my second cycle of CFSB. All lifts have gone up and my wieghts gone from 171 to 176lbs in about 5 weeks. I just make a habit of eat alot of walnuts, almonds and broccoli latherd with almond butter during the day. No complaints thus far.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #514
Eric Simpson
Member Eric Simpson is offline
 
Eric Simpson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Newmarket  On
Posts: 293
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

My final week of CFSB is coming to a close and Im wondering what to do since Im leaving on Vacation on Wednesday. Ill be heading to Calgary for a week of hiking and having fun with my buddy and his wife.

Do you guys think I should do a crossfit football total on Monday to see where my lifts have gone too ( I sub'd powerclean for front squats and Bench of Pressing)? I could follow the program as outlines mon/tues and probably get a lift in on Thursday morning before we leave to hike as well.

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #515
Peter Boobier
Member Peter Boobier is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plymouth  England
Posts: 9
Question about reps and ramping

Hi, new here. Been following CFSB for a week, after cherry picking WODs for a few weeks and been eating strict paleo for three weeks. I missed the strength element of the workouts, then I happened upon this thread, which I have read in it's entirety.

I have a couple of burning questions:

1) The ramping is described as 5x3 or 3x5 depending on whatever rep range you choose. Now I'm very well versed in the 5x5 family of programs and the theory behind it. Now to me, those numbers say three or five top straight across sets, NOT ramping. If the intention is to do worksets that end with a top end weight (hopefully a PR) is that not ramping up? For the sake of argument I would describe that as 1x3 or 1x5. I know you are supposedly counting all sets as work sets, but why? From what I've read, lifts can be from 10 to 20lbs apart, which to me, is akin to traditional ramping as made popular by the 5x5 family.

To further illustrate my point here is Madcow describing the types of reps x sets: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow..._DESCRIPTION:_ (WFS) About halfway down the page, Madcow has a little table entitled clarifying examples.

2) Sort of on the same topic, for the back squats, seeing as there is no high rep set afterwards, could one do volume work for the back squat (5 top FLAT sets of 5 reps) with of course, slightly reduced weight to accommodate the increase in volume, instead of a ramp to a single top weight?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #516
Randy Hill
Member Randy Hill is offline
 
Randy Hill's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 648
Re: Question about reps and ramping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Boobier View Post
2) Sort of on the same topic, for the back squats, seeing as there is no high rep set afterwards, could one do volume work for the back squat (5 top FLAT sets of 5 reps) with of course, slightly reduced weight to accommodate the increase in volume, instead of a ramp to a single top weight?

There are high rep back squats on front squat day.
__________________
"Strong people are harder to kill, and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #517
Peter Boobier
Member Peter Boobier is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plymouth  England
Posts: 9
Re: Question about reps and ramping

Randy, Yeah I realise there is high rep BS on the FS day, but there is no high rep exercise on the BS day. This was where my suggestion for the heavy volume came from. I wasn't suggesting a volume cluster ON TOP of the PR set(s) but rather instead of it. Thanks for pointing out something that I probably didn't explain too well
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #518
Randy Hill
Member Randy Hill is offline
 
Randy Hill's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 648
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

My bad, Peter. I woke up to take a leak and checked the thread and replied half asleep, haha!
__________________
"Strong people are harder to kill, and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #519
Marcus Allen
Member Marcus Allen is offline
 
Marcus Allen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grants Pass  OR
Posts: 1,675
Re: Question about reps and ramping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Boobier View Post
Hi, new here. Been following CFSB for a week, after cherry picking WODs for a few weeks and been eating strict paleo for three weeks. I missed the strength element of the workouts, then I happened upon this thread, which I have read in it's entirety.

I have a couple of burning questions:

1) The ramping is described as 5x3 or 3x5 depending on whatever rep range you choose. Now I'm very well versed in the 5x5 family of programs and the theory behind it. Now to me, those numbers say three or five top straight across sets, NOT ramping. If the intention is to do worksets that end with a top end weight (hopefully a PR) is that not ramping up? For the sake of argument I would describe that as 1x3 or 1x5. I know you are supposedly counting all sets as work sets, but why? From what I've read, lifts can be from 10 to 20lbs apart, which to me, is akin to traditional ramping as made popular by the 5x5 family.

To further illustrate my point here is Madcow describing the types of reps x sets: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow..._DESCRIPTION:_ (WFS) About halfway down the page, Madcow has a little table entitled clarifying examples.

2) Sort of on the same topic, for the back squats, seeing as there is no high rep set afterwards, could one do volume work for the back squat (5 top FLAT sets of 5 reps) with of course, slightly reduced weight to accommodate the increase in volume, instead of a ramp to a single top weight?

Hopefully Bingo or Jeff will stop by to clarify, but I'll get started.

The ramp ups are done for the sake of recovery. It was found that many of the oringinal participants recovered better doing the escalating sets. This was particularly true of any of the older athletes(ya know, like me)!

With low rep BS, low rep FS and high rep BS, there is a bunch of volume. Do you feel you need more?

Lastly- have you read the actual CFSB article in the journal, or just this thread? The article may answer many of your questions.
__________________
My Log, CFKids Certified
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #520
Peter Boobier
Member Peter Boobier is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plymouth  England
Posts: 9
Re: Question about reps and ramping

Thanks for the reply Marcus. I've just read this thread, because it gave me enough information to start the program without any hassle, I just created my own problems

Yeah I understand that the ramping saves recovery, which is the principle of it's use in the intermediate 5x5 template. I was just musing over the possibility of adding in volume sets for diversity and further compression of the top end and to 'grease the groove' as they say. It was just something I felt higher intensity, lower volume programs always failed to do, as you would only be spending a small amount of your weekly tonnage actually squatting with heavy weights. By lowering the weight and increasing the number of sets spend at that weight, it gives the athlete more contact time with challenging weights. It was just my own curiousity. Perhaps it is something that people could consider once gains start to stagnate on subsequent cycles?

Anyways, that question was purely to satisfy my own curiousity. However my first question, about the nature of the ramped sets was more of a fundamental question. I don't mean to be arguing over semantics, but I feel it is important to clarify the exacct terminology.

Many thanks
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IF questions Tim Taylor Nutrition 16 12-03-2008 07:13 AM
Questions... Katie Jones Starting 5 11-09-2008 07:47 PM
A few Questions matthew maclaren lawson Exercises 4 06-24-2007 08:46 PM
I'm new, a few questions... Thomas Vita Starting 4 02-12-2007 12:07 PM
Few questions Wim Lokate Starting 4 01-04-2007 07:00 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.