CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #251
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
what about the artificial sweeteners?

Plus I think a regular latte is plenty sweet just from the milk.

Alyson - don't beat yourself up, you are so good on your diet. Plus it could have been a lot worse... they have higher sugar drinks. and you could have ordered a scone with it
I'll speak for Kerry () when I say, a little art. sweetner in the coffee is OK with us, that's all we get in a day.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #252
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

January is almost over and my eating has been all over the place. I'm going to start this from this evening. There is no point in waiting until the next meal, etc. No grains, no sugar. From Feb 1 till Feb 28. I already know that I'm going to have an issue on Feb 14 and Feb 15th. 14th I should be able to dodge since it's a huge potluck party. But 15th is bday party at a friends and no way of dodging that. But my first hard part is to get to Feb 14th. One day at a time and this time I'M GOING TO DO IT!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #253
John Penner

Profile:

January is almost over and my eating has been all over the place. I'm going to start this from this evening.But my first hard part is to get to Feb 14th. One day at a time and this time I'M GOING TO DO IT!

sound familiar, well feb 1st-28th sounds good to me. here i go again. sugar IS CRACK!!!! GET OFF THE CRACK

the results ARE spectacular & I belive all benifits but am an addict

no diet need lifestyle change
Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #254
John Penner

Profile:

Aaron I live in Kingsburg!!! to everyone else out there thats like 5 miles apart
Old 02-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #255
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Hi everyone! This thread is great! I am new to crossfit and new to zone and paleo. I have seriously cut down on grains and sugat-but just was at a business trip in cancun and although I was really proud that I turned down all the great deserts and starchy breakfast foods, I did indulge a little too much with the wicked fresh chips, salsa and guacamole!(Ok the chips were the only real bad part there---but... It was all washed down with too many margaritas!! I almost never drink anything other than a glass of wine, but.. The authentic margaritas were just so good!!)
So now I am heading home and back to "no starches or sugar" for me!! I really enjoy my coffee with some soy or nonfat milk and a glass of wine once in a while. I was wondering if there is anyone who allows one cup of coffee in morning and a glass of red wine at night? I really enjoy red wine with my dinner after work and I am up at 415am to get to the gym for 515, so the coffee helps!.
I don't eat meat, so I am working on eating fish and eggs more. I am also eating a little cottage cheese for protein. Not sure what people think about that? Does anyone eat tofu? I'm not sure if that is "legal".
I appreciate the support and encouragement of this thread. I have a goal to get my kipping pullups in feb (I can do one now-on good days, but still use bands for the workouts), and I know this diet change will really help.
Thanks everyone!! I look forward to folowing everyone's progress!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #256
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Anu and John - you can do it!

Anu - is the issue still with the snack foods you have for the kids?

John - What's causing your eating to be all over the place?

Marianne - welcome! Sounds like you did great in Mexico. Those little chips are so delish In general, everyone allows themselves certain foods that may not be considered paleo. It makes for an easier lifestyle change, rather than trying to create a totalitarian diet. Coffee and wine are definitly in for me. Cottage cheese is good, provided you aren't lactose intolerant. Tofu is good, but make sure you read up on the possible effects of too much soy on hormone levels (google).

I got through an entire night with pizza sitting in the breakroom the other day, I felt so much better NOT eating it. It's been a good few days. Back to zoning too.

Happy Super Bowl all!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #257
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
A

Marianne - welcome! Sounds like you did great in Mexico. Those little chips are so delish In general, everyone allows themselves certain foods that may not be considered paleo. It makes for an easier lifestyle change, rather than trying to create a totalitarian diet. Coffee and wine are definitly in for me. Cottage cheese is good, provided you aren't lactose intolerant. Tofu is good, but make sure you read up on the possible effects of too much soy on hormone levels (google).

I got through an entire night with pizza sitting in the breakroom the other day, I felt so much better NOT eating it. It's been a good few days. Back to zoning too.

Happy Super Bowl all!
Thanks Amber! I appreciate the support and I am really excited to do this. I definitely want to tone up and lose some fat around my middle and I am hoping I can do this-both to finally drop this weight that I have never been able to drop and to get my performance in crossfit up to a respectable level-like I said, I still need bands for the pull ups!
I look forward to seeing how I do on this-i will check out the soy thing. I think getting protein in enough amounts will be a challenge for me since I don't eat meat. Does anyone know if "veggie burgers" are "legal"? I suppose if the label says any kind of grain then it is out, but any other advice from "non meat eaters" (eat some seafood, but don't really like it much!) Would be appreciated.
Amber-so glad the wine and a little soymilk in coffee is ok. I just can't take black coffee and there is nothing like a glass of red wine after a stressful day at work!!
Back to the cold in CT!!! Burrrrr!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #258
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

First morning of success! No sugar or grains all day until now!

Amber - not as much an issue of junk kid food. I emptied their Jack O'Lanterns and they only kept 10% of what they got. The rest has been donated to the office! Phew! But there is still stuff around the house - like GRANOLA!! It's sooo delish and at 3 pm, it is soo good for an afternoon snack!

The plan is to eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables raw /stirfried - except for starchy vegetables like potatoes, milk, yogurt, nutsHope to keep the hunger at bay with lots of these!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #259
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

Yay! I made it 30 days! I only cheated once, which was this past Thursday (day 29). I had to pick out my wedding cake. The tasting was TOTALLY worth it!
If I can finish this challenge, anyone can. Just take one day at a time, have plenty of clean food surrounding you and variety in your food will keep you on track.
What's next for me. I am having some of my favorite foods this weekend and then starting over Monday. I will make exceptions on the weekends for a glass of wine here or there.
Good luck to all! Keep strong!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #260
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

I forgot to add one more thing. I couldn't have done this without the help of Melissa Byers. She not only supported me, but made me delicious snacks that were clean for a couple parties we had and offered lots of snack ideas to keep me satisfied. She is the best!