CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #181
Jennifer Woods

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Still going strong. Made it through the big party this weekend. It's hard to be around drunk people when you're not drinking. Oh well, snacked on these great stuffed date apps that Melissa made just for me-yum!
After evaluating my diet and talking to friend this weekend, I've decided to adopt the zone structure for the last two weeks of this challenge. I need an outline. The first two weeks were fine, but I want to see more changes. I need a plan. So, still sticking with the no grains/no sugar on a 13 block. Today went well with, plenty of food. I am tracking it on fitday to make sure I get in enough food.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #182
Alix Clark

Profile:

nice work everyone - inspiring stuff! I haven't been doing the challenge but generally try to stick to no grains and minimal sugar. Under stress however I head straight for the sugar bag and dig in. Sugar with extra sugar on top with a side of sugar. And yes, after eating my own bodyweight in peppermints last night I had a cracking headache. Why do I do it? Live and learn.
Lynn - I'd recommend reading Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet book if you're interested - it's great. And for our American friends - biltong is the same as jerky. Healthy eating everyone!!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #183
Carter Jee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
biltong is the same as jerky.
only waaayy waayyy better!!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #184
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

I've been doing pretty well, until yesterday- 4 (yes, I said 4!) godiva milk chocolate covered strawberries. YUM! but felt like crap the rest of the day. hmmmm, can anyone say "moderation"? My workout this morning sucked A**, after little sleep and sugar load.
I'm going to an italian restaurant tomorrow night for a birthday, and I'm a bit nervous about finding non-sauce-slathered-pasta-lacking dishes. I'll figure something out.

By the way, I love Melissa's "I'll eat ice cream tomorrow" mentality for staving off cravings-- it's worked multiple times for me the past week! I think we need to get "I heart MB" t-shirts made-- she's frickin' awesome! And I bought the jump rope she suggested-- I need to get used to it being a bit shorter than I'm used to, but it spins FAST
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #185
Melissa Urban

Profile:

That is super nice of you to say. I'm glad some of my random advice is helping at least one person.

If you're craving a "treat" while sticking to your grain and sugar-free diet, try a few of these bad boys. Dates aren't a great carb choice because of the high sugar content, but they're technically still a fruit, and still paleo. You can make as many or as few of these as you want, but they are totally addictive.

Buy whole dates (usually come in a tub in the produce aisle), and pit them. Stuff dates with a few almond slivers (or one whole almond) and some goat cheese. Wrap with 1/2 slice of thick-cut bacon and toothpick to keep them secure. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the bacon is kind of crispy.

Enjoy.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #186
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Tall socks and bacon

1 <3 Melissa
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #187
Adam Kurland

Profile:
Non-grain, sugar, snack...this really is awesome

I'd feel like a ******* for not passing this on...anyway, I can't take credit for the following, but have adjusted it a bit...

In one coffee mug, combine:
4 heaping tablespoons ground flaxseed;
1 teaspoon stevia;
1/8 teaspoon baking soda;
cinammon to taste;
1 scoop protein powder (if desired);
1 egg;
enough water to achieve batter-like consistency

microwave for about 90 seconds
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #188
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Considering I've been somewhat of an emotional wreck for a few days, I was doing really well with little grains/no sugars....until today. Walked into the chow hall for dinner and it all looked hideous, decided to make a meal of grilled cheese, onion rings, 2 cookies and 2 different types of ice cream (Seriously free baskin robbins is a genius, yet evil thing). Now I want to unbutton my pants and take a nap.......
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #189
Laura Kurth

Profile:

My favorite treats when trying to be somewhat good always involve dried fruits. Sure it's high in sugar but it's better than eating a slice of cake ha

Trader Joes Dried Bartlett Pears. Absolutely delicious. Nothing added just sweet chewy pear-y goodness. I try to only eat them at the weekend as lets face it, who can only eat one slice of dried fruit.

And chocolate of course. I don't consider that cheating as long as it's 85% or higher
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #190
Bob Guere

Profile:

Kerry and I have been going strong for over 2 weeks now. Only beer as a form of cheat, which isn't really a cheat in our book.