CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Aaron Franco

Profile:
Hyperventilation

Hello,
I'm pretty embarrassed about this.

I did 'Grace' today 30 reps 80 lbs in about 5 or 6 minutes. Great work out but I felt short of breath and rested for about 15 minutes and started to feel a bit better. Then I got on the exercise bike and did 5 minutes at 150bpm, 3 minutes at 174bpm, and 3 minutes at 120bpm. I got off the bike and got a drink. started to feel like I couldn't catch my breath and then I hyperventilated in the gym. my entire body cramped up and I was almost in a panic. The trainers talked me through it and checked my heart rate and it was fine so I calmed a bit and was then able to speak again but still couldn't open my hands. An ambulance came and I went to the hospital. I am fine now just feeling a bit week and shaky after such a frightening experience.

I usually do one crossfit exercise and one bike session at the gym. I do this twice a week. I also run 3 days a week and walk 2 days a week. I am training for a 38min 10km which I hope to run at Tokyo Marathon in March.

This was the first time this happnened. I assume my breathing is all wrong and I should probably focus on that. I'm 29yrs old a zone dieter, 5'5" 150lbs 7%body fat.

I was just hoping for some feed back.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Hyperventilation

what happened is simple ....

you were blowing off too much carbon dioxide when your breathing to fast and were only retaining oxygen. The body needs a balance of both in order to maintain the right chemistry.

too much carbon dioxide and you pass out.. breath slow for a long time.
too much oxygen retained your lips tingle, your hands and feet cramp up and then your legs and arms cramp up which results in flexion and your are now unable to move.
wfs
http://api.ning.com/files/sP*EhI99xj...15It/spasm.jpg

You begin to panic.. which results in further increasing your already rapid breathing pattern. eventual you pass out and things correct.

Your case.. I bet when you were sitting and drinking water your co2 to o2 balance wasnt quite normal yet and you got on the bike you started huffing and puffing again.

Next time... tell someone to get you a paper bag and breath into it. you will find that your breathing will get slower and more regular and the muscles will loosen up and the tingling will go away.

This is a normal reaction to breathing hard and fast.

Just learn to control your breathing... long slow deep breaths ... in thru the nose and out thru the lips.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 11-28-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Aaron Franco

Profile:
Red face Re: Hyperventilation

Frank,
Thanks for the link and the reply.

I am going to work on my breathing. That was one scary experience. Wow, that jpg is exactly what happened! I'm still a bit taken back by this experience.

On the plus side, it puts one hell of a burn on the forearms!

Thanks again.

If anyone else has anything to add. I would love to hear it.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

I wanna know how was the visit to a japanese er????
Old 11-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
Aaron Franco

Profile:

Ha! They took me out, rolled me down into the basement of some little building. We went through a small hall that was filled with the day's lunches and up a cramped elevator into a hospital room. When I got out of the building, it wasn't really a hospital but more of a clinic. Tiny little building in a crowded street. Classic Tokyo.