CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Leon Robotham

Profile:
I've managed to secure a place in the Great North Run which is a half marathon held in North East of England. My motivation is a Charity, the children of the North East and also to say that I've completed the Great run in my home city of Newcastle. We will be receiving sponsorship from people to present to the charity which i'm really looking forward to. Anyway the race day is 30th September 2007 and I plan to give myself plenty of prep time running up.

The tricky thing I have is this, I fight in Muay Thai for the Sorthanikul club in Newcastle and staying sharp means training as a fight may come up, which ofcourse can't be accepted unless fight ready. So, I train in Muay Thai anything from about 6hrs per week 3/4/5/6 days per week depending on whether there's a fight coming up. Muay Thai training consists of warmup - bwt exercises callisthenics, shadow boxing, pad work, sparring, stamina, strength and conditioning.

I'm now working at completing as many CF wods as possible scaling back even the workouts I feel I can complete to ensure that I progress better. When I first started CF last year I was hammering attempts at WODs as well as all other training on top and to be fair was probably overtraining. Not listening to the body!.

In my training for the half marathon I want to come in at about sub 1hr40. I know I can hit 1hr 45 as it's been done before but not in a long time.

Seeing as though there can't really be much slack given to the MT training I plan to work like this.

Mondays - Intervals/kettlebells
Tuesday - Speed day - Muay Thai
Wednesday - CF & KB work
Thursday - gradual distance + pace day - Muay Thai
Friday - Hill runs/ CF /metcon
Saturday - Muay Thai/ KB work
Sunday - Off.

Each week i'll be looking to increase the distances and the number of intervals. I was thinking that if i begin at 3m for the runs increasing a mile each week cutting short at say 9/10 mile would help me with joint conditioning and just general getting used to the milage again. Increasing the time ran for the intervals instead of the distance and working at pacing also.

I'm attending the CF cert in Valencia in August also so I know that i need to get as many of the WODs in as possible. I'm thinking I could squeeze more in but just scale them back?

Any help, ideas, tips, pointers are really appreciated.

Thanks,
Leon.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I'd skew in another rest day, e.g. simply combine two of the days, knock it out hard and rest completely the day after. The obvious choice would be taking mondays work to tuesday, but after your boxing.

An even more oboius choice would be to dedicate yourself to running, CF and boxing and simply skip the kettlebells until after the race. You'd still be fit as h%&# ... With the extra rest day put in, I'd say a feasable plan could look like this:

Monday – Medium distance running (5-7 K) with sprint intervals
Tuesday – Boxing/CF
Wednesday – Off
Thursday – Boxing/Medium to longer distance (5 K and up) fartlek (try to run on a 3 min. higher pace, 1 min. slower to simulate ring fighting)
Friday – Hill runs/CF
Saturday – Boxing/CF
Sunday – Off

All CF-sessions should ofcourse be scaled if the need's there ...
Old 05-27-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Thanks Gorm

thinking about it, your template seems like a good one. I undersand that there has to be some kind of sacrifice to ensure adequate rest. I'll have to make sure that its a work in progression for the distances.

Do you think that running no more than 9 mile on the distances will be sufficient to pull in my time of sub 1hr 40?

Leon.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Well that rather depends on how fast you are doing the 9 miles ;) but one thing I can only recommend too little, is finding your 1h 40m pace for 21K (that'd be just about 13K per hour or 8 miles per hour (and to be on the safe side, you ought to strive for a number slightly higher than that, for instance 8.5 or 9 mph)). So simply train that pace once in a while to get the rhytm worked in. Ideally find a piece of music that has a beat that you can run to at a pace that'll get you running those 8 mph, and take that tune on repeat on your mp3 player (if you got one) during the race, and you'd be pretty safe to hit it at just about 1h 40m.

To get back on the if-9-miles'-enough-question, I'd say that it's more than good enough physiologically ... and since you've ran the distance earlier, it shouldn't be a problem psycologically either.