CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I started working the ME black box yesterday and my first ME day(today) felt as though it was far too little amount of work.

I got a good metacon workout yesterday (4 rounds - deads, ring pushups, L-holds; 2 rounds - ring pullups, 45lb dumbell swings). Today I did bench @ BW 5x5. Each set felt as though I would barely be able to complete another rep although I did bang out a 6th on the last one. Afterwards I worked a few rounds of box jumps & dips.

My question is - would it be better to do a metacon style workout afterwards or another ME execise @ 5x5?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Jim Glover

Profile:
I believe the template is ME day 1, conditioning day 2, ME day 3, rest day 4, conditioning day 5, ME day 6, conditioning day 7, rest day 8, lather, rinse, repeat.

But all depends on your goals.

If you are more interested in gaining strength and maintenance work on your conditioning I'd hit ME on days 1, 3, 5, and 7 and only do conditioning on days 2 and 6.

Or just if the opposite if you want to emphasize conditioning.

You don't have to be wore out to have had a good workout.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Russell Greene

Profile:
If 5X5 bench presses is easy try 5X5 deads or squats, or 10 X 1 snatches or clean and jerks.

That said, don't evaluate your workouts by how they make you feel, evaluate them by what they enable you to do.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Joshua Canipe

Profile:
ME work isn't a lot of work, but it is high intensity work. By intensity I mean a high percentage of your one rep max. It doesn't tax you metabolically, but taxes your CNS. You can't do a lot of high intensity work. You will feel like you worked your bench pressing muscles tomorrow and the next day even if you didn't today.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Thanks guys.

I am working the original ME template from PM issue #2 which would be geared more towards metacon vs strength and goes MC, ME, MC, rest. I have deads & clean and jerk in my formula but they are on the lower body & total body days on the 2nd rotation. For some odd reason I decided to start with UB vs the TB as per the template so I started with the BP and selected weighted PU's for my exercise on the next rotation through. I have no doubt that I will feel today's workout tomorrow but after the 5x5 I had so much left it just felt wrong to not keep going.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Jim Glover

Profile:
I'm not a big fan of single motion upper body work.

Instead of doing just bench make it a push pull workout.

Bench and T-bar rows supersetted with plenty of rest between sets.

Another upper body push pull could be handstand push ups or overhead press and pull ups or wide grip upright rows.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
John McBrien

Profile:
When you incorporate ME days, are you performing 5x5, or triplets, or singles of a single exercise or multiple? I wouldn't know what to do if I was doing 2 MEs per 3 days.

I think I should probably buy PM #2 and #3 since I know many of you have mentioned its in both.