CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1396

Has anyone read this book and mind telling me what they think of it? Even if you haven't read the book, but have suggestions about putting together a strength routine built around bodyweight exercises i'd love to hear them. Thank you for any input.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
http://www.beastskills.com/

you might like this site
Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Matt,

There is sooooooo much info for free I'd pass on buying a book directed towards body weight exercises. Brad Johnson, the author of that book, posts a monthly exercise on the Ironmind site. There's a link to it on the main page.

Also, check out http://bodyweightculture.com. They have a forum and a lot of good info. I've only browsed it so I can't attest to how safe it is for work or home.

Lastly, you can checkout www.rosstraining.com (safe to the best of my knowledge). He has a ton of free info and his Never Gymless book has received good reviews from others around here (I've never read it, though). That would probably be the book I would buy if I bought one.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Dan
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
Never Gymless is very good.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Chris Crook

Profile:
I second Troy. Never Gymless is a good book. Ross demonstrates some pretty amazing feats of power and strength in the book. Including behind the back clapping pushups, and standing one arm wheel roll-outs (I think he even has a weight vest on). He does a good job at showing progressions to some of these tough body weight achievements as well. It's a good read.

The beastskills site is great too.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Your best way to build a strength "routine" is too eschew routine altogether and just experiment. It's good to get ideas from books but I guarantee that the best way to figure out what works is to just muck around on your own and experiment with different movements, reps and what not. I know that most of my favorite exercises are ones that I discovered on my own. The first goal should be to have fun and the rest will follow. Approach it from an aspect of playfulness and you will progress from there with greater gains in strength and mass IMHO. Be spontaneous, avoid routine, improvements will follow.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I agree that you should avoid routine, but do all you can to learn from others. Trial and error is a slow process. Experiment a bit, but imitate those that have been successful.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Peter Keller

Profile:
Just to add a slightly different perspective- I have long believed that books are basically the best investment that a person can make. Why not pick up a couple of fitness books, read them, AND read the free online resources suggested above?

I doubt you could be worse off for following the above strategy.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I think I have that book somewhere. I'm not impressed. I mean Brad Johnson is awesome and demos a lot of great ideas in that book. However, I don't think I saw anything in there that wasn't offered up for free at other places.

For the most part he is all about grip strength and pullup strength. Not particularly well-rounded. Don't get me wrong, Johnson is freaky good at the stuff he does. If you have come this far into CrossFit territory, you're probably better off doing more gymnastic-type skills. If you are just looking for ideas about doing pullups with plyers and other household items, then get the book.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Hmmm. Yeah I do mostly want to incorporate more gymnastic type movements. The main ones I want to focus on at the moment are handstands, planche, front lever, and iron cross. It's easy enough to find progressions for the planche and front lever, but when I try to do a search on iron cross all I get is a bunch of sites on a nazi war medal. Does anyone have any resources for this they could share?