CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Michael Hurwitz

Profile:
How often to work out with CrossFit

Ok, I am just getting into CrossFit and have a question re. how often to do CrossFit per week. I have seen a few articles that say you should do it 3 on/1 off, or should you work out everyother day. Does anyone work out with weights on the off days or do you really need to? Any suggestions or comments.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
David Sumner

Profile:
Re: How often to work out with CrossFit

3 on 1 off is the official workout prescription for Crossfit. Todd explained the reason for this at a Level 1 Certification lecture. Day 1, you feel great and can go 100%. Day 2, you are not yet that sore from Day 1 workout so you can go 100%. Day 3, you may be sore as hell but you know tomorrow is a rest day so you push yourself anyways.

But, the 3 on 1 off routine is hard for some to follow because it changes your workout days and rest days each week. I like to do 3 on (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday), 1 off (Thursday), 2 on (Friday, Saturday), 1 off (Sunday). I will vary my workouts between morning and evenings at random. Well, I say random, but it usually depends on whether I feel like waking up at 4:15 AM or not

Five or six days a week of working out won't leave much in the recovery tank for extra weightlifting or intense workouts. Do too much and you will begin to break yourself down spiritually, mentally, and physically. Want to see a grown man cry? Have him do high intensity two a day WODs for a few weeks, usually not a pretty outcome.

Last edited by David Sumner : 09-16-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Frederik Beck

Profile:

Though being new to CF and the methodics, I do think I can get this one right. Do not skip the off day - you might be tempted but for your own sake don't. There are some people who do lift weights on the side, but most likely they do the lifts instead of the WOD.
The body needs to rest and it will not get that rest if you punish constantly.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Train hard and rest often. Stick to the 3 on/1 off as closely as you can, adding extra rest days as needed (and not adding extra workouts. Do the WODs harder if you feel you need more)
Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Tim Crawford

Profile:

The other thing to do on your rest day is a strict movement, just practicing doing some of the olympic lifts (no weights, just the bar) or working on a OHS with just a bar or even practicing doing L-sits. This has helped me, and helps keep me in the rhythm of going to the gym.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Jason David

Profile:

I would add days as needed. I started off at 3 days per week. I moved up to 4...now I'm at 5 or 6. Everybody's different and most work towards a specific goal.

I've gotten to a point where I suppliment when I can/need...sometimes I use a light 5 K and sprints as bookends to my week. I also add strength or O-lifting days if the workouts at the affiliate were more metcon focused.

If you can do 5 days per week you're probably right in the middle.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #7
Randy Kite

Profile:

Quote:
Train hard and rest often. Stick to the 3 on/1 off as closely as you can, adding extra rest days as needed (and not adding extra workouts. Do the WODs harder if you feel you need more)
Well stated Justin.

I think alot of folks miss this idea. I know I did until I went to the level one cert.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

The rest day in the 3/1 is the most important day. Use it wisely. I seriously use that day for yard work and Wii Mario Kart, thats it.