CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
George Okungu

Profile:
A quick question

5'11 220lb's. Looking to get to 5'11 around 185lbs.

1.I did the lemon detox diet last yr(aug07) and lost roughly 24lbs in 13 days.

2.I took some clemburol(yes, the one for horse's) for 1 week and noticed a ridiculous increase in heartrate(so i quit it)

I'm alternating between cardio,interval training and weights 6 times a week. Just wondering if i can be pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Re: A quick question

What is up with the lemon Detox diet? Where do I sign up? As far as horse drugs- unless you like eating hay I would stay off the stuff.
6 Days a week is rough. How is it working for you? I do a 5 Day routine and it crushes me. It works for me but I am a little light on sleep lately which hurts.
Good luck.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Okungu View Post
5'11 220lb's. Looking to get to 5'11 around 185lbs.

1.I did the lemon detox diet last yr(aug07) and lost roughly 24lbs in 13 days.

2.I took some clemburol(yes, the one for horse's) for 1 week and noticed a ridiculous increase in heartrate(so i quit it)

I'm alternating between cardio,interval training and weights 6 times a week. Just wondering if i can be pointed in the right direction.
< - I knew this smiley had a reason.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Buy the zone diet book and start doing the crossfit WODs... you'll drop fat weight faster than you can imagine... that is, if you start eating strict zone, which I'd imagine is easier than extreme dieting and taking horse drugs @_@.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

George:

Since you are talking about horse drugs, I'm going to assume you are talking about Clenbuterol, not Clemburol (which doesn't return any good results on Google, btw). Clenbuterol is a close relative of ephedrine but more potent. So that stuff that is now a prescription-only drug...you were taking its big bad cousin. I was prescribed a very high doseage of ephedrine and it wrecked my physical and mental health for one week. (Literally one week without an more than three hours sleep total. I was a mess when I simply refused to take the drug any more.) Respect the powers of drugs and stay away from them unless they are prescribed: the damage they can do is far worse than the benefits they offer. /soapbox

That said, I'm glad you're here. You'll get quality, safe advice from the people here. The overall theme is to experiment and find what works for you, known as "Black Boxing" in the parlance of the board. People will make recommendations, sometimes at odds, but take what seems worthwhile and give it a try.

As for my own recommendations, I recommend following the main page workout of the day and the Zone Diet. I am currently posting my dieting experiments in a thread. I spent one week on a strict Zone diet before concluding that, as RX'd, it was unsustainable for my activity level. I am experimenting with it to make it suit me (refer back to the Black Box.) However, I can say I lost fat while maintaining lean body mass, and I did it without an unhealthy eating plan or drugs. I am now tweaking it to avoid hunger and gain muscle mass as well as losing fat. Follow along if you like:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36771

Most importantly, read everything you can find on these boards that interests you. You are bound to learn many awesome, interesting things.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Chris Scott

Profile:

If you have the combination of intensity and discipline necessary to do things called "lemon detox diets" and "f***ed up horse drugs," then you'll definitely go far, in life and Crossfit (if you don't kill yourself along the way).

Easiest way to get started/things I wish I had been told:

--on crossfit.com (the "main site"), there is a tab near the top left called "Start here!" Mouse over it and one of the options is "BrandX Scaled Workouts." Follow this link, and you'll find a message board specifically devoted to scaled versions of the main site WOD (Workout Of the Day).

--Although you clearly have a different definition of "intense" than almost anyone I know, consider starting slow. The workouts can be sneaky hard, and in fact, there are many stories along the lines of "I have this friend in SEALs/Delta Force/Recon/Air Force Spec Ops (translation: US military special forces) who tried the main site WOD unscaled and got totally crushed."

--Speaking of which, there's a link to a good article about this (getting hurt by starting too fast) in the FAQ. The FAQ is large and very helpful. It also can be found near the upper-left-hand corner of the main site.

--Seeing as how you live in Sydney, there are at least two (and quite possibly many more) affiliates that I found with a quick Google search that may be very near you. Starting with an introductory course at an affiliate is well worth the time and money. The instruction, encouragement and camaraderie found in affiliates is invaluable, especially when beginning.

--If your main goal is to lose weight, eating will be as important as working out, and probably more so. Read about the Zone in the FAQ, search for it in this forum, and/or pick up a book by Barry Sears (since it was all the rage in the US a few years back, I found several in used bookstores). At least one highly respected coach has said that he's never seen someone who did Crossfit and followed the Zone diet and still remained overweight.

--Consider starting a workout log on this forum. The people here are incredibly helpful, and may very well drop by your log to give you encouragement and advice. I'm continually amazed at how kind and enthusiastic people are here.

Hope this helps. Have fun, and stay safe.

Chris Scott
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Kevin Hewell

Profile:

A novel idea- Do Crossfit!!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Kevin, that's exactly what I was going to say. Go to "start here" on the left toolbar.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
George Okungu

Profile:

thanks for all the answers.
i did read the start here and i will re read it again and follow.

1.the thing I was taking(not sure the name, i put it away) was a gel like substance used to treat breathing problems in horses, you take 1mg per 100kg body weight, i am sure it is called clemburol but will check.

2.the lemon detox diet that i did(no food for 2 weeks, just lemon juice(freshly squeezed) did/does work, however it was just amazingly long(2 weeks without food seems like forever) and i dont believe it encourages healthy eating habits as afterwards, you might find yourself trying not to eat at all. you do 3 days soup, X amount of days lemon detox,3 days soup(to get back into eating)

now my life belongs to crossfit and muay thai if i can afford it this month..
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
George Okungu

Profile:

read the start here, and i will be started tonight or tommorow. thanks to all