CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Melissa Whittle

Profile:
Increase fat blocks or total blocks?

I've been CFing for 4 months and Zoning for 3 months. I have steadily been losing body fat and gaining muscle. I began as a 10 blocker, but I think I may have crossed the threshold and should now be consuming 11 blocks, based on my LBM increase. I have looked for info on this on boards, and it seems like most of the advice out there says to increase fat blocks but not overall blocks. This seems strange to me, given the block system is based on lean body mass and activity level to begin with. I don't want to lose any of my hard-earned muscle! I have added fat blocks to 2-3x but am not sure I am getting enough protein & carbs because I just don't feel as strong during the WODs lately.

So the question is -- should I increase my overall blocks by 1 to support LBM, or do I just increase fat blocks some more? I am hesitant to simply black box this only to find my fat loss or performance stalling.

Some stats:
May 10 BF: 34.6%
Weight: 144

Aug 2 BF: 28.6%
Weight: 147

I typically eat lots of veggies, esp spinach, asparagus, brocolli and zuchinni; fruits about 3-4 blocks over the course of a day, and no grains at all (okay, on rare occasions, rice). I eat eggs, chicken, beef, pork and fish for protein, and a little dairy but not much.

Looking for good advice on when you know it's time to increase blocks, and whether total blocks or just fat blocks?

Thanks!

Last edited by Melissa Whittle : 08-15-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Increase fat blocks or total blocks?

Increasing the fat blocks is usually a means of maintenance.

Since you've gained LBM, you should be eating the appropriate blocks for that new LBM, and supplementing with 5x, 10x, whatever fat, if you need the extra energy, so that you:

a.) Don't lose the LBM you've gained
b.) Have enough energy to tackle the WODs

So you're right on the money...

You eat a certain amount of blocks until you reach a LBM you are happy with. Then you increase the fat as a means to energize and maintain your current LBM. Should you gain more LBM, you need to adjust accordingly.

The only other times you should really need to increase total blocks (without having the LBM to call for it), should be if you're trying to gain weight. Since you've already gained weight, you're already in the situation to increase.

Hope that helps...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

See the other thread on this just a few down from this one for more information.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Thanks for the help fellas.