CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Ted Apollo

Profile:
first 5k. any advice?

m/34/6'/277

i just signed up for my first 5k and it is 30 days away.

i have been doing xfit for 2 months now and it has really improved my weakness which is respitory conditioning. I am still taking it easy on the running since i am so big and it is hard on the legs. i want to avoid overuse injuries. so i mix in some swimming for extra work. i am also aware of the crossfit endurance website and plan to incorperate that also.

i was just wondering if there were any individuals out there that have experience running these races and would like to share their experience & advice. Like how much should I eat before? when? what? how much fluid before the race? or anything else i am sure i overlooked?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Clay Warford

Profile:
Re: first 5k. any advice?

im NOT a runner. before my 1st 5k the farthest i ran at 1 time was about 1.5 miles. i hate running...however, after excelling in CF, i did my 1st 5k without stopping in 27 min...my goal was to complete it without stopping...its not bad as long as u have music playing.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
James Besenyei

Profile:

I've only done 3 5k's, I'm no runner that's for sure. Have fun with it. Don't take it too seriously unless you are really going to start rocking the local racing circuit. If you're doing it for fun then have fun! Take your ipod or talk with others around you. Take advantage of the water stations, don't be afraid to walk if you have to, and enjoy the day.

Try to get out and run a few 5k's before. Pick out a route and run it once or twice just so you know how it'll feel. Eat light the morning of, drink some water before hand (only some), and again, take advantage of the water stations. You'll have a blast and feel really good for finishing. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Besenyei View Post
Try to get out and run a few 5k's before. Pick out a route and run it once or twice just so you know how it'll feel. Eat light the morning of, drink some water before hand (only some), and again, take advantage of the water stations. You'll have a blast and feel really good for finishing. Good luck.
Good advice. The morning of..only have a banana, grapes or some other low density snack. A bowl of oatmeal also works. Make sure you stretch really good before and afterwards. As far as hydration goes, yes take advantage of the water stations and if you will, you can also get a camelbak... it works for me. As James mentioned, have fun and relax. And above all, control your breathing and pace.

I'm actually getting ready for another half marathon, duathlon and a 6 mile off road trail race in the upcoming few months.

Good luck.

Last edited by Peter Queen : 07-16-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

thanks for the advice guys. especially remembering to have fun. the race is being held in balboa park in san diego so it should be interesting just sight seeing.

the main reason i signed up was to set some goals and test myself. i think the farthest i have ran is 1.5 miles. now that i am into xfit and the fitness goals i am interested to see what i am capable of.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:

Ted,

Seed yourself away from the starting line. Even if you are feeling good, don't go out fast. If you are up front, you will be drawn in and probably run the fastest mile you ever have, then you will really suffer. Decide what your pace should be and stick to it. If the means you are passing grandmas and baby joggers (that were seeded in front of you) for the first 1/2 then so be it, just look strong as you pass them. Oh yea, and smile for the camera.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Heath Powell

Profile:

You will be surprised at yourself when you see how far you can go.

So much of running is mental. My roomate got me into 5k's and I'm no pro thats for sure but just being out there with the huge crowd in the race is a blast.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Kelly Kindness

Profile:

A 5k race doesn't require anything different from what you do on a day to day basis. It's not an endurance event and doesn't necessitate changes in everyday diet or sleep (unless you eat Mcdonald's 3 meals a day and only sleep likd 4 hours a night, then I'd suggest some changes). Just get up, eat what you normally would for breakfast, have an extra glass of water. If the race is first thing in the morning, eat a lighter version of what you normally would. I'm a big fan of a banana and some smart water.

Since you said you're taking it easy on running, I would actually suggest you not push it by trying to get in 5k's before the race. I would work up to like 2.5 miles, at least 2 times before the race, but that's all. I just helped my friend train for her first race a few months ago, and she was worried about not covering the distance but had no problems going from 2.5 miles to 3.1 -- race day adrenaline will help you out a lot.

One thing to think about...try biking instead of swimming for cross-training if you want to improve your running. One of my running coaches told me to switch to biking during my last marathon training and it helped my running so much more then swimming or anything else I did.

I would also suggest you try and run at least once a week at the same time of day as the race. If you're used to running at 5 a.m. and the race is at noon, you'll have the disadvantage of not being acclimated to the weather.

At the actual race, do not start out at the front. :-) Start towards the middle to back and start slow. Slower then you think you should. It's much better to start slower and be able to kick it up if you need to then be drained after 2 miles and struggle to finish. Run your own race, don't worry about catching up to or keeping up with anyone else--it's very tempting, but resist. During the race, it will likely take you around 30 (give or take a few) minutes...I would advise against camelbacks and drinking too much water during the race (a lot of newbies drink too much water, your body doesn't really need much for a 3 mile run). Carrying water with you is a little excessive for a 5k.

Setting goals is a great way to measure progress, when I started running I could barely finish a mile, and now I've run several marathons, half marathons and 5k's without injury. Just relax and enjoy it...have fun and finish. It sounds like you're new to running...plenty of time to keep smashing your goals!

And remember...whether you do it in 25 or 45 minutes...you did it, and that is a big deal!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Kindness View Post
I would advise against camelbacks and drinking too much water during the race (a lot of newbies drink too much water, your body doesn't really need much for a 3 mile run). Carrying water with you is a little excessive for a 5k.
Kelly, overall I agree with most of your suggestions, they are great and suggest someone who definately has good running experience. However, I only suggested the camelbak as a means to keep the body hydrated to a point as well as a preventative measure against dry mouth, which a lot of runners (newbies) suffer from if they do not know how to properly breath, especially in high temperatures or high altitudes. Everybody has various performance levels so I only offered a suggestion that does work based on certain conditions and certain levels of fitness but definately not for all circumstances.

Ted, it all boils down to what works best for you. As you continue to work towards any future runs you will begin to learn more about what works best and what is overkill. Since this will be your first run, then this will be your first best lesson.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Kindness View Post
At the actual race, do not start out at the front. :-) Start towards the middle to back and start slow. Slower then you think you should. It's much better to start slower and be able to kick it up if you need to then be drained after 2 miles and struggle to finish.

And remember...whether you do it in 25 or 45 minutes...you did it, and that is a big deal!
Kelly's advice is dead on, but I felt the need to quote the above, since it is exactly the advice I wanted to give.

I've run 2 5ks in my life.

The first one I went out WAY too fast and died during the last mile. The second one I started very slowly, and finished fast, hard, and felt great.