CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #481
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Chantal's Workout Log

Wow... your Joshua performance was awsome.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #482
Chantal Brien

Profile:
CFT & the workout after

Thanks Matt and Camille!

As some of you may have figured out, I'm working a cycle behind right now so 2 days ago I went to go attempt the CFT. I was really stoked heading out - it's one of my favorite workouts; but I sucked hardcore. I don't think I'd recovered fully from the combination of Mr. Joshua and that overhead lunge/ burpee madness. I debated just not posting it and forgetting it ever happened - but it would kindof defeat the purpose of keeping a log if I only recorded workouts where I performed well.

CFT / previous CFT (for reference)
squat 165 / 175
press 80 / 80 (after doing the thruster insanity workout)
DL 205 / 255
*the 205 may actually have been 215... nowhere near last time either way

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over! I've done more squating since last time and it's been more solid, I put up the same weight in press as I did the day after a crazy thruster workout that destroyed my shoulders and DL, my favorite lift of all, sucked in a big way. I'd been hoping to set a PR on since I pulled 235 for 3 times the last time I did 3s, but I was having trouble keeping my back in a safe position at weights I'd normally use as my heavy warm-up sets. It was enormously frusterating because I know I can pull more and I eventually had to walk away after trying a couple time because I knew I was going to hurt myself if I didn't leave.

I decided I was probably not recovered enough from the previous cycle so I took a day off (work helped with that... I got home last night at 2300 so it wasn't completely my idea). Today I got on the treadmill to warm up for Barbera and just stayed on for a while. Training has been pretty intense lately. Interesting and fun and the good kind of challenging - but busy with a lot of different things to learn and apply in a short time. I'm enjoying it, but when I started running I realized that I kindof just wanted to turn my brain off and run for a while... it felt really good (6 mph so not CrossFit intense or anything) so I did that for a half hour and then practiced rowing for a couple min and then got on a spin bike for just over 45 min. I'm now feeling ready for bed despit the fact that its about 1830 but far more relaxed and ready for the weekend.

Last edited by Chantal Brien : 01-30-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: my brain is dead
Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #483
Mike Bishop

Profile:
Re: CFT & the workout after

You aren't the only one dismayed with your CFT. A few of the folks at my gym too thought that the burpee/lunge workout hurt on the CFT.

You still riding your bicycle around in the snow and freezing cold?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #484
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:

Mr. Joshua is major suckage. Kudos for doing it with the Rx'd weight!

Sounds like you really needed to active rest day, both mentally and physically. Don't sweat the CFT - as much weight as you've been throwing around, I'm sure it will go back up!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #485
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Hey Everyone!

I'm back in Canada and back to work. It'll be a while before I can check out what you've all been up to as I have to get my life sorted, but I hope you've all been well. I took a break from following the WOD while I was overseas and spent more time working out outside with tires and running because going to the gym felt too much like going to the office, and then took a massive break while on post deployment leave to give my body some much needed time to recover.

Hopefully my body is just taking some time to get back into the swing of working out because my C&J sucked today. I stayed at 95 for the whole workout because I wasn't happy with my technique. Even when I was thinking about it I was sluggish getting my elbows around and kept letting the bar get too far away from my body. By the end of the workout they were starting to look better, but I was dissapointed because overseas I was able to put up 125 with everything looking pretty. The staff at the gym who saw me lift was pretty stoked about what I was doing though...
Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #486
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Welcome back!!!!!!!! Great to see you here.

That 125 will come back quickly!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #487
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Welcome back!!!!!!!! Great to see you here.

That 125 will come back quickly!
Here's a picture of me seeing you back on the boards =>

Glad to have you home safe & sound Sista! Now, let's get that C&J back up to snuff, ya dig?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #488
Chantal Brien

Profile:
So I've decided to hang out with the Cardio Bunnies and 5lb pink dumbbell crowd...

So my brilliant plan to start posting again regularly after getting back to Canada following my first deployment was foiled by a short notice deployment to Haiti to help out there following the earthquake...

Early on in the deployment (back in January) I hurt my knee, but figured I could walk it off. Apparently the popping sound I remembered hearing when I landed was the sound of me blowing my ACL at the same time as I ripped a big hole in my miniscus. Apparently injuries like that can't be walked off. Who knew. I did do the responsible thing and had the medical staff on the ground take a quick look at it but the conditions were pretty austere and with the equipment they had all they could tell me is that it was swollen. I could still do my job (though getting around got a lot more interesting) and there was lots to be done so I stayed on the ground until my team redeployed back to Canada.

Long story short, I had surgery at the end of June and now have a brand new ACL courtesy of my hamstring, no miniscus, and enough metal in my knee to make trips through airport security a little more interesting. I was going to give up on this log and start a brand new one as I'm not looking at hitting my old PRs, or even CrossFitting, anytime soon, but upon further reflection I decided to stick with this one because I plan on working my tail off until I get back to fighting form and having my old PRs in this log will make it easier to keep track of when I start breaking those and setting new ones.

I also didn't want to start logging everything again until I was at a somewhat less pathetic level of physical fitness, but I figure that what I'm doing now is all part of the journey to where I want to be. That, and I want to make sure that I stick with doing all the physio exercises I'm supposed to be doing and posting online has helped me keep myself accountable in the past. Most importantly though, given that I'm a big enough idiot to walk around on a seriously damaged knee for a couple months, I figure it's wise to leave myself a public reminder that toughing it out isn't always the best course of action and that I generally need to do a better job of listening to my body. My PT time is now largely spent on stationary bikes with minimal resistance/intensity or doing exercises such as quarter squats with pink vinyl-covered weights against a wall with a swiss ball or, my personal favorite, leg lifts. Much as hate announcing to the world that I'm basically emulating everyone I ever laughed about at the gym, if documenting this helps me keep myself from getting back to this place than it will be well worth it. That said, without further ado:

Today's Workout

15 min on stationary bike *started at resistance 3 and moved up to level 4 (I'm pretty happy about this because I only ditched the crutches last week and was limited to 2 min on the bike with no resistance when I started)

3 sets of (10 bodyweight calf raises/30 sec balancing right leg/30 sec balancing left leg) *balancing done on wobble board

Hamstring stretching/leg straightening 30 sec x 3

3 sets of 10 Wall squats (1/4 squat with blue band around knees to cue me to prevent my knee from collaping inward as I come up) 8lb dumbbells (pink of course, ) *held first set for 5 sec at bottom and next 2 sets for 10sec

3 sets of 10 standing bodyweight hamstring curls *held for 5 sec, was able to get knee past 90 degrees on all sets

2 sets of 10 side-laying single leg lifts *held for 5 sec (both legs, because apparently I suck at these)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #489
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Good to have you back, but Ugh! - ACL rupture. The workouts will probably seem deathly dull before long, but the hard-nosed approach is the same. At least you can mix in some pullups, dips, presses and whatnot. Between the two of us, we could build one fit athlete around our rehab.

Here's to graduating to the blue dumbbells and half-squats.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #490
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Thanks Patrick! I wasn't allowed to do any pullups and dips for the first while (the doc was worried I'd blow everything again if I fell) but I'm looking forward to mixing that stuff in again. Your comment about the two of us making one fit athlete made me laugh; hopefully we'll both be back to being individual fit athletes before long!

Thursday

20 min on stationary bike *resistance 4 throughout - 181.3 calories

3 sets of (10 bodyweight calf raises/30 sec balancing right leg/30 sec balancing left leg) *balancing done on bosu ball

3 sets of 10 Wall squats (1/4 squat with blue band) 10 lb dumbbells *held for 10 count @ bottom

3 sets of 10 standing bodyweight hamstring curls

ran out of time for leg lifts

Friday

20 min on stationary bike *resistance 5 throughout - 221.0 calories

3 sets of (10 bodyweight calf raises/30 sec balancing right leg/30 sec balancing left leg) *balancing done on floor with eyes closed

3 sets of 10 Wall squats (1/4 squat with blue band around knees) 10lb dumbbells * held for 10 sec at bottom

3 sets of 10 side-laying single leg lifts *held for 5 sec (both legs, have I mentioned yet how much I hate these)

Saturday

rest day

Sunday

This is the first time I have been able to go swimming since surgery and the physio gave me a set of modified exercises to do in the pool

3 sets of gait retraining walks - I can walk without a limp in the water! Not fast, but no limp is very exciting. I did these with one of my military friends who is also recovering (but from a vehicle accident where she broke her hip, femur, tibia, fibula and wrist) and she kicked my ***! Next time...

3 sets calf raises

3 sets 1/3 squats (I did them without the band and had to focus really hard to make sure my knee wasn't collapsing inward.

3 sets of 10 standing single leg side lifts (both legs - had to focus hard to keep my hips level)

I then swam laps, both front and back crawl. I have no idea what distance because I lost count, but it felt awesome to be able to do something that got me out of breath, if only slightly, for the first time in forever. Well, maybe not forever, but it sure felt that way... I may have to do more of this.