CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Graham Hayes

Profile:
It took me a while to do the WOD 3 on 1 off, but now it's quite manageable and I often do extra workouts. Sometimes I'll do 2 or 3 on one day or othertimes I'll ignore the "rest day" and workout continuously..I think my record is 30 days continuous of WOD style workouts.

So anyway, as I can't tell the difference from doing either approach, would you reccommend doing the 3 on 1 off schedule but going harder on the 3 days on or just train to the posted WOD level continuously with no rest days? I think both have pros and cons, any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
What are you trying to accomplish?

I think if it's added strength, I'd scale up. If it's added "fitness" I'd train more often.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
At HQ they often will do "Phat" versions of the girls. So five rounds instead of three or lengthen the run in between or the amount of weight, etc. At least that is something I see on occasion.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I'm no expert, but I'd say intensity wins over volume and consistency. If you train harder, and stay at 3 on, 1 off, you'll continue to get the desired neuroendocrine response, and have sufficient recovery time. It is during recovery that we benefit from our training. Training every day at an intensity that doesn't challenge you will have neither effect.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:12 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Neill, I would modify and say consistant intensity is most important. Once your getting 6 good workouts in a cycle, I think you could add training. For me, throwing in workouts which work weak points may be the way to go rather than just doing another WOD. The greater our GPP the greater our capacity to train, that's why Matt could rip off three training sessions in a day!
Old 06-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Thanks for your thoughts, it makes sense that if I started at 50% and worked up to 100% that I should continue going up. Although I wonder at what point the returns diminish...I'm sure that's at an insane level, so I wouldn't need to worry about that for a loooong time.

My extra workouts recently are either max lifts or a WOD style workout with running and weightlifting as I have determined that is my biggest weakness. I liked the Cindy with an 800m run at the start in Becca's write up of the seminar, since a workout like Cindy is relatively easy I might try that and other "phattening" ideas.

Paul, both strength and fitness.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
GPP? sorry can't figure that abbreviation from context. while we are at it, i saw SPP somewhere on the board too. could someone fill me in? thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
Chuck Pelowski

Profile:
General Physical Preparedness (Crossfit) and Specific Physical Preparedness (Rugby Practice).
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #9
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
thank you.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:57 AM   #10
bill fox

Profile:

I've been going the scale up route, mostly with the weight vest. I find the everyday thing very tempting but experience tells me no matter how it's "managed" the crash, and worse, the subtle slow down, is inevitable.

Take Angie for example, I figure one of the reasons Grag, Josh, Matt etal go so fast is their stronger - so why not do lot's of the bodyweight stuff w/ weight then test every so often. (This is paarticularly true for me since for various reasons I pass on the "singles" days)but I think Matt G seems to be doing this with great results.

Bill