CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Question Starting Strength

Apologies if this is an obvious question. Reading through the forums last night I notice that a lot of people are doing "starting strength" - and quite a few are following a nutritional plan of a gallon of milk a day. Can some explain starting strength to me or is it as simple as buy the book and follow the plan?

cheers
Jaime
Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Steele View Post
Apologies if this is an obvious question. Reading through the forums last night I notice that a lot of people are doing "starting strength" - and quite a few are following a nutritional plan of a gallon of milk a day. Can some explain starting strength to me or is it as simple as buy the book and follow the plan?

cheers
Jaime
It's as simple as buy the book and follow the plan to a T. It's not complicated and it's not rocket science That's the beauty of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Until your book arrives(you should buy a copy, it's a classic), this link might help. W/F/S.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
Old 02-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
Benjamin Murphy

Profile:

i'll 3rd the recommendation to get the book. Great, great stuff. No other book will give you technical instruction like that. So far as the gallon of milk a day goes.. Rip says it, so it must be right (I love that guy), but it kills me for some reason so I got off it after a few weeks of acne and weird sore throats and stuff. But it's supposed to work like a champ, I just figure that anything that effects my system like that is no bueno. Also for more info on SS/PP, and some highly entertaining Mark Rippetoe Q&A, head over to the strength mill forums. Some of the forum posts are not that clean, so reader beware.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Until your book arrives(you should buy a copy, it's a classic), this link might help. W/F/S.
Agreed, but definitely get the book, unless you are sure your squat, bench, DL forms are superb or have access to real coaching. I had no less than 15 DOH! (palm slapping forehead) moments while reading it. Basically every lift I was doing wrong wrong wrong, and on multiple levels. Granted, my only weightlifting coaching I had previously came from still photos from Men's Health, so it was to be expected.

Not only that, but the book is a hoot to read. Coach's "take" on wearing gloves while lifting made me literally laugh out loud.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Jaime Steele

Profile:

I'll definitely order a copy.

Jay - thanks for the link - looks like there is a lot to keep me going there until it arrives.

Cheers

Jaime
Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Let me jump on the bandwagon, too...

SS kicks ***. Simple as that. My squat went up 20 pounds just by reading Rip's discussion of it. When I actively concentrate on the Valsalva manuever, I can do at least 1-2 more reps in a set than without it (I fatigue less, I'm working on making it unconcious). I've gone up 40 lbs on squats (in my sets of 5, not maxing), 15-20 lbs on bench, clean, and shoulder press, and 60+ pounds on deadlifts. I'm deadlifting my old max in sets.

Buy it. Do it. But prepare to ****ing hate milk.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
Jaime Steele

Profile:

I have found "Starting Strength - A Simple and practical guide for coaching beginners" and "Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Training - which one?

Cheers
Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Per Rip's Website:

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training is the new expanded version of the book that has been called "the best and most useful of fitness books." It picks up where Starting Strength: A Simple and Practical Guide for Coaching Beginners leaves off. With all new graphics and more than 750 illustrations, a more detailed analysis of the five most important exercises in the weight room, and a new chapter dealing with the most important assistance exercises, Basic Barbell Training offers the most complete examination in print of the most effective way to exercise.

Available now at the Aasgaard Company store

So buy it already, you can't go wrong on any of his books, considering you have read none of them.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Cheers Jay.

I did read that on Rippetoe's site - but the wording "....it picks up where Starting Strength: A Simple and Practical Guide for Coaching Beginners leaves off..." lead me to believe I should read that book first.

I'll order it up now.