CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Eric Douglas

Profile:
How to care for a quality olympic bar

As a new owner of a Pendlay olympic bar, I'd like to know what to do to keep this bar in top quality shape. I've searched the forums and there doesn't seem to be a thread like this, and I'm sure that other folks want to know what to do with their bars as well. (If there is another thread, please let me know where) I've emailed Glenn Pendlay for some advice and I'll post his tips here (unless he chimes in himself) but I'm guessing that there are many folks who know their stuff here too. So if you've got any tips, please post them.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: How to care for a quality olympic bar

Some thoughts:

1) Be sure your have rubber or plastic on the Vs of your racks so you don't mash the knurl.

2) light coat of oil to slow oxidation. Keep the bushings/bearings lubricated, but don't over do it.

3. Don't store it on it's end on a cement floor.

3) Filter the chalk and dust from the air in your gym...scratch that...Relax. Beat the crap out of it. Buy another in a few years. It's a tool get what you can get out of it at the expense of the tool, that is what they are there for :-)
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Eric Douglas

Profile:

Paul - I've got a question regarding the light coat of oil. I've never had to do this with my other (cheap) olympic bars. They've got a chrome coating on them, which this bar doesn't. I have the bar without the black oxide coating.

Does everyone just end up with oil all over their hands when they use the bar? Or should I just forget it and let the thing oxidize?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Alex Woodland

Profile:

just use some wd-40 on a rag. i've got bars that are 15 years old and they look brand new. having said that it doesn't really matter, as I've never know anyone to throw away plates or bars due to rust. the most you ever get is a slight surface discolour over many , many years when stored indoors. and that can be brought back to new in an hour of good rust treatment.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Pendlay bars are actually coated with black zinc, rather than black oxide. They are surprisingly rust resistant. They are more rust resistant than many chrome bars.

Glenn Pendlay's suggestions for care of the bars are the following.

1. Use a synthetic bristled brush to brush away any excess chalk once a week. (Any more often than that and you become counter productive, and will eventually wear down the coating rather than protecting it.)

2. Every few years dissassemble the sleeves and replace the motor oil.

If you do those 2 things your bar will last you a long time.

There is no need to oil the sleeves on a regular basis. You can clean off the chalk every month or so with a cloth and 3-in-1 oil. This will get rid of the discoloration.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Kim Layton

Profile:

Whats the easiest / best way to pop the ends off of a Pendlay bar to take it apart?