CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Need help choosing an AF Base

Hey all,

I'm a junior in AFROTC, so this month I get to fill out my dream sheet for jobs and bases.

I know that my AFSC can determine where I go, but I have that more or less figured out and plenty of leeway. So I'm looking for information on what bases are available and have a good solid community.

My fiancée will be in Boston for two years after I commission while she finishes school. I'm not looking at Hanscom AFB, but I'd like to stay somewhat close, at least East Coast. I was thinking Wright Pat as one, but I don't know what it's like to work there.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
-Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:
Re: Need help choosing an AF Base

Michael-

I'm in the Air Force, and am actually waiting on an assignment right now. If you are looking at the East Coast, then there's Bolling (D.C.), expensive, Andrews, same. Hanscom, really really small base, but very nice. They just put in a new gym too. Dover is small but Delaware is close to a lot. Same with McGuire in NJ. (that's one of my choices this time around). WP in Ohio hosts the AF marathon every year and houses the Air Forcce's Museum. Ohio is kind of a sleeper state too. A lot of people think of it as midwest country, but there's a lot of big citiies. Further down the East Coast, you have the Carolinas, but you don't want to go to Pope. I've heard good things about Seymour Johnson. Where are you going to school right now? If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me or send a pm.

-hub
Old 01-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Michael Lynn

Profile:

Thanks Hub, I really appreciate it. If I may, what's your AFSC?

I'm a student at Boston University. Eventually I want to head West, my brother is at Ellsworth and I just love the country out there (plus the riding there is amazing). But until my fiancée finishes school and gets her commission, I'd like to stay close to Boston, just without actually living in Massachusetts (not a fan of the state).

-Mike
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL is really nice - we had 2 seminars on CF basics there and there's quite a few CF'ers there. Huge base, gym is neat, they even have a platform with bumpers already, that only cf'ers use and it's right next to pullup station.
Plus there's an affilliate there now a few minutes away in case you need coaching/critique etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

The owner of my affiliate (CrossFit Alexandria) has regular WODs at Bolling AFB.

wfs

http://www.crossfitalexandria.com/ww....com/Home.html

Link re. WODs at Bolling. wfs

http://www.dcmilitary.com/stories/10...or_28032.shtml

The DC Metro area is a great place to live - lots of things to do/see here, but as noted above, it can be expensive, depending on location.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Darren Zega

Profile:  

STAY OUT OF McGUIRE!

Advice from a very close friend who was stationed there (he's in the sandbox right now). While the post itself is not bad, NJ is ludicrously expensive and the area around the base is horrible.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Another vote for Seymour Johnson -- great jet (F-15E), great people, great mission. Goldsboro might not be the most happening town but it's okay and the base community is excellent.

Spent 5 years stationed there and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Just a thought -- but there are things to consider besides location -- like the aircraft and the mission. While your fiancee's location is understandably a factor, life in the AF encompasses a lot more than where you hang your flight cap. Just something to consider . . .
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Shannon Kissling

Profile:

I picked up the base out and about newsletter thing the other day as i was leaving the gym and turned right to this article! i'd say any military gym offering CF has my vote for a pretty dang good base! we are navy so i really can't offer much assistance here. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
The owner of my affiliate (CrossFit Alexandria) has regular WODs at Bolling AFB.

wfs

http://www.crossfitalexandria.com/ww....com/Home.html

Link re. WODs at Bolling. wfs

http://www.dcmilitary.com/stories/10...or_28032.shtml

The DC Metro area is a great place to live - lots of things to do/see here, but as noted above, it can be expensive, depending on location.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Daniel Hubbard

Profile:

I'm a SSgt, electrician (3E071). I've also been to Macdill and yeah, the gym is really big. It's nice, but realize that I've never been to an AF base that didn't have an amazing gym. *unless they're in the middle of renovating/rebuilding a brand new one. Let me know how things work out though. When are you supposed to get your assignment?
-hub
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Michael Lynn

Profile:

Won't get my AFSC until end of this semester. Base could be the same time or it could be next year.

Lisbeth - I understand what you mean, that's one of the reasons I'm asking here. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't choose Hanscom, from my understanding it's not very effective for career movement.