CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
David Smit

Profile:  
I am going to be teaching an intramural conditioning program starting next week and even though it is just twice a week I thought it would be worthwhile to apply the crossfit methodology. Is twice per week enough stimulus and should I use the program plus provide additional work for the kids to do independently or would it be more preferential to teach the crossfit exercises?

Dave
Old 01-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Dave,
I started my son Connor on CF twice a week for the first few months. We saw excellent results. Over the summer he bumped it up to five times a week, but I think the twice a week preped him well for it. I have been working with an Intra Soccer team for the past few months. They have been getting the CF workouts only once or twice a week. Their coaches have begun calling them the second half kids, because they are smoking their competition in the last half of the game. We have also started posting a CrossFit for kids workout on our site. Some kids use it every day, others only a couple of times a week. We see progress in all of them. I think you'll get good results with the kids to start them out twice a week. As they get used to the program it would probably be benefical to provide some additional work.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
David Smit

Profile:  
Jeff
Thanks for that positive information. Good to know some are doing it and working well with the kids. What is your site you speak of?
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 01-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Dave,

I'm not Jeff but hopefully he won't mind my responding to you.

Jeff's website (and awesome training facility, from what I've heard) is Brand X Martial Arts:

http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/main.php

He has a discussion board on the site, too:

http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/forum/

Take note of the "CrossFit for Kids" discussion topic about three-fourths of the way down the page.

I believe Jeff roams the boards under the name of Garddawg.

Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Dave,

Is twice per week enough stimulus and should I use the program plus provide additional work for the kids to do independently or would it be more preferential to teach the crossfit exercises?

I don't see this as an either or question - you can do both. Building on what Jeff said - I think two times a week would be fine for starters. Use this time to use the team workouts (covered in one of the CF journals) and to teach them CF exercises. At a certain point, you could start assigning them 'homework.' I'd make it something simple, maybe a focus day involving running or bodyweight exercises. Besides refrencing Jeff's site for ideas you could check out www.goanimal.com. It has some great ideas for games with kids.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 01-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Dave,
I've been using the crossfit principals with jr high girls with great success. As a GPP program, CF can't be beat. Besides, the kids usually take to it as a game; sort of a challenge to one another to finish. I liked giving them "chippers" (a variety of exercises done for a certain amount of reps, each done once for time) and letting them go. Using crossfit, I was able to get these girls to start doing pull ups, proper squats, burpees, jumping rope, box jumps, 400m sprints, etc. for fun and health!
The tip from Ryan to check Go Animal is great as well. They have games I plan on using to train our basketball team starting next month!
Also, look around for a thread about Rutman's dumbbell exercises. There are great posts there from Rutman (Michael Rutherford) and Mike Burgener about training young athletes.
Welcome and enjoy!