CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Brian Lim

Profile:  
So I find out that I did not meet the requirements for the Canadian Forces Fitness test. The only thing I failed was the hand grip test. I don't understand why my grip is soo weak when all my other friends have stronger grip then me and they dont even work out. I got a strong forearm but still have a weak grip. Does anyone know why?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Brian Lim

Profile:  
is everyone ignoring my post? =/
Old 01-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Eric Moffit

Profile:
im not ignoring it but i have nothing to add and only listening to do (i consider my grip a limiting factor for myself, too)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I had my hand crushed recently by the strongest handshake I've ever felt; it was delivered by a 15 year old. So I'm not pretending to be any expert in grip strength.

The youngster is tall and thin, so working out is obviously not helping him any, but he does play the guitar *very* well, so I imagine that that and genetics are where the grip comes from.

To cut an overly long story short, I get the feeling that genetics plays an inordinately strong part in grip strength, but there are any number of things that you can do to improve...

Farmer's walks, sandbag work, thick bar work (deadlifts and pullups etc)... and more direct work from COC grippers etc.

I've not done any extra work for grip but have found my grip getting *much* stronger from regular adherence to the WOD. All the pullups and deadlifts, cleans etc... I *never* have a problem with grip in deadlifting any more and rarely do with oly lifting, but it used to be a weakness.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #5
Brian Lim

Profile:  
seems like I got a problem then :lame:
Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Here are some links to grip training and other information:

http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/grip.htm

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?s...c960400de19b4&

The GripBoard Has a lot of articals and guys that can help, I have just started reading some of the stuff there. You will have to register but it is free and they will send you an email password.

One thing I have found is there seems to be two kinds of hand strength holding which is more forearms and pinch and crush which uses more of the hand. I lack the same one as you crush strength so now I add some grip training to my WODs every other day or so.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
Mike Yukish

Profile:
What exactly is the hand grip test?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
Alex McClung

Profile:
Brian,
Pat is spot on that the WODs will develop your grip strength. All the pullups, DLs, and Oly lifts demand a strong grip to connect you with the equipment - you'll notice lot's of comments like "could have gone more but grip failed."

I began working out with the COC grippers a few months back and it's made a great difference, but my grip strength is still catching up with the rest of the chain. That's a great thing about CrossFit, you'll always know exactly what your weak link is ! The grippers are about $20 USD from Iron Mind. I started with the trainer 3 months ago and moved up to the #1 this week. These are surprisingly tough little monsters and worth the investment IMO.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I have a weak grip (IMO), which is particularly noticeable to me as an experienced wannabe climber. Maybe some of the experienced climbers here can comment on the best way to improve grip strength. An article I've read recently describes a technique that is purported to have caused increases in forearm girth and increases in grip strength. It's by a respectable climber with a long history of testing training techniques and writing about them. I'm starting to add these to my end of WOD workouts a couple of times per week. Here's the link:

http://www.nicros.com/New%20Training...er-rolls.shtml

Sorry to hear about the test. Do you plan to take it again? If you do, please comment on the training methods you used and what worked :-) !

Best,
Rene'
Old 01-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Pullups, deadlifts, cleans, farmers walks, all will improve grip strength. In other words, do the wod and then maybe some additional grip work, I have the #1COC gripper from Ironmind, give it a try.