CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
The Ultimate Omega-3 Diet

Just wondering if anyone has read "The Ultimate Omega-3 Diet" by Evelyn Tribole and if you have, what's your take on it? I haven't read it but ran across it in a bookstore on my way out and didn't have time to flip through it.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Juan Cantu

Profile:
Re: The Ultimate Omega-3 Diet

So, I have been a google fan every since the day it was released/created.

They have a lot of awesome resources/tools ... and one of them is online books.

(WFS)
http://books.google.com/books?q=The+...G=Search+Books

Have fun.
*edit*
That probably wont due you much good.
They have some thing that actually has the book in PDF ... let me find it, and i'll repost, sorry.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I was always under the impression that Google's book database was just excerpts from the books and not the entire book? That'd be cool though.

You can always see if you can find the book on Amazon or other popular book sites and see if you can find some reviews.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Chris Lampe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bearden View Post
Just wondering if anyone has read "The Ultimate Omega-3 Diet" by Evelyn Tribole and if you have, what's your take on it? I haven't read it but ran across it in a bookstore on my way out and didn't have time to flip through it.
I have the book and enjoyed reading it. One thing she touches on that I haven't seen discussed here and PM is the two kinds of Omega-3's: Plant-based and animal-based. She emphasizes that we need both and her recommended source for plant-based (ALA, I think....) is flaxseed, which some around here seem to be against. Her book also made me hesitant to eat nuts because of their high Omega-6 content. She also identifies what she thinks is the the major Omega-6 source in the American diet: Soy (mainly in the form of soybean oil which is in SO many foods).

I haven't read any other books on the Omega fatty acids so I can't compare it to any others.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Jeff Bearden

Profile:

Thanks Chris
Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lampe View Post
I have the book and enjoyed reading it. One thing she touches on that I haven't seen discussed here and PM is the two kinds of Omega-3's: Plant-based and animal-based. She emphasizes that we need both and her recommended source for plant-based (ALA, I think....) is flaxseed, which some around here seem to be against. Her book also made me hesitant to eat nuts because of their high Omega-6 content. She also identifies what she thinks is the the major Omega-6 source in the American diet: Soy (mainly in the form of soybean oil which is in SO many foods).

I haven't read any other books on the Omega fatty acids so I can't compare it to any others.
I'm not sure why so many here bash flaxseed (many know I am a huge proponent of flax). If you have a good ratio of omega-3 to 6 you'll convert much more of the flax ALA to EPA and DHA then a person who has a very high omega-6 count. It is a staple in my diet along with fish and omega-3 epa/dha supplementation. You also cannot beat the fiber in flax, I swear you could use it in a paint stripper it cleans you out so well!