CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Mike Groth

Profile:
Is Starting Strength right for me?

I have been doing CF since May this year and I have just finished up a 10 week cycle of a ME Black Box routine In the beginning I was making good gains. Then about half way through I just felt that my squats and deadlifts were weak. It felt as though I had no power coming out of the bottom of the lifts. We just did CF Total today and my numbers were 250 squat, 308 dead, 152 press. Im 6'4" 230 (I know this is pretty low numbers for my size) but my PR's before the BB program were 255 squat, 345 dead, and my press was the same.

Im going to do just regular CF this coming week then Im planning on doing SS. I want to get stronger since as a bigger guy the powerlifts are where my strongpoint should be. Do you guys think SS would be a good idea?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Is Starting Strength right for me?

Yes.

You should've probably done SS before a MEBB routine..
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Kris Warner

Profile:

[quote=Mike Groth;
I want to get stronger since as a bigger guy the powerlifts are where my strongpoint should be. Do you guys think SS would be a good idea?[/QUOTE]

You said it right there. There is a reason why powerlifters are powerlifting and not doing CF.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

SS is solid. Or PerformanceMenu.com's WOD is always another option.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Mike Groth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
You said it right there. There is a reason why powerlifters are powerlifting and not doing CF.
Well I dont want to be a powerlifter...I just think my strength relative to my size is lacking. I would like to increase this then jump back into CF. I dont want to specialize just get better at my weak points.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Groth View Post
Well I dont want to be a powerlifter...I just think my strength relative to my size is lacking. I would like to increase this then jump back into CF. I dont want to specialize just get better at my weak points.
Powerlifters use the movements they do (bench squat dead press) because that's what makes them strong. If strength is your primary concern then train for it first then go back to CF. Doing SS doesn't make you a PLer.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Mike Groth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
Powerlifters use the movements they do (bench squat dead press) because that's what makes them strong. If strength is your primary concern then train for it first then go back to CF. Doing SS doesn't make you a PLer.
Ok I misunderstood your previous post.

Has anyone else done this after beginning CF and then going to a Strength routine then back to CF? If so let me know what your results were.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:

Has anyone else done this after beginning CF and then going to a Strength routine then back to CF? If so let me know what your results were.
I don't have personal experience with CF, but running SS until you are no longer adding weight to the bar will only help your CF lifts when you switch back. I do not see how you are going to hurt yourself by doing this. Personally I would rather have a strength base to build off of, which is what SS will give you.

Do you have the book? If not, bb.com (not a fan, you have to ignore all the teens) has a great write up on it along with a thread with over 7000 posts where questions related to SS are answered by a guy who works out in Wichita Falls.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:

Yeah - my squat dropped a little, DL remained stagnant, bench dropped a lot when I begun with CF and did only it for almost a year. The only thing that improved was chinups/pullups.

Switched to Starting Strength with maybe one or two short metcons a week. Couldn't complete SS completely because I got sick and my CNS blew out. But almost peaked and my squat skyrocketed, bench went up to almost pre-SS times, DL improved a little. Metcon wise, Helen improved a lot. Pre-SS I was struggling with 17.5kg DB swings and had dropped to 15kg. Post-SS, 17.5kg was cake.

Now I prefer properly planned strength work as a base and metcon work on top to remain fit (I do the WOD on Catalyst Athletics WFS).
Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Corey Duvall

Profile:

I believe the MEBB is met con-ME-met con... for the past three weeks I have been doing ME-met con-ME with the Max efforts being any lifts I feel like doing that day in either 5-5-5-3-3-3 or 3-3-3-1-1-1 fashion. I am making some good gains everytime I lift, utilizing largely squat, OHS, DL, press, push press, weight pullup, weighted dips, and clean pulls for the ME. Each day I'll do one or two of the exercises depending on time. I plan on continuing this through the winter to increase my strength base. It might be something for you to try with a little more ME work.