CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Ted Williams

Profile:
Re: krav maga or muay thai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
Remember Alex Gong was shot at close range. Nothing says you can't do both either. But if you live in a place where you are 100% sure that you won't be attacked, don't bother.
Yeah, while in thai shorts with boxing gloves on because he had an ego response to someone hitting (or was it stealing...can't remember) his car. He ran after the car and confronted the guy. This isn't advised, especially when the car is insured and is a car. A little harsh I know, but no amount of MT or krav helps when you don't use the ol noggin. Very sad...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Williams View Post
Yeah, while in thai shorts with boxing gloves on because he had an ego response to someone hitting (or was it stealing...can't remember) his car. He ran after the car and confronted the guy. This isn't advised, especially when the car is insured and is a car. A little harsh I know, but no amount of MT or krav helps when you don't use the ol noggin. Very sad...
True, but one of the things Krav Maga taught me was to be smart and avoid confrontation at all costs. It opened my mind to the fact that gun, sticks, and knives may be involved.

Theory: If a guy stole your car and he was unarmed and a pro kickboxer chased him, caught up, pulls him out of the car, head kicks him and he falls and breaks his neck, that would've been bad too. Or say the kickboxer smashes the guys head with the car door or something, but goes a little too hard. Screwed either way.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 AM   #13
Michael A. Krivka

Profile:

Andrew made an important point - look to the instructor... and look to the class before you make a decision on the system you train in.

There are a lot of "reality-based" martial arts out there and many of them will get you dead - FAST. Look for a school that promotes fitness, balance (striking, weapons, grappling, etc.) and common sense. There are a lot of schools that promote themselves as being for street fighting that will prepare you for nothing more than a long stay in the hospital.

Martial arts are about self preservation not domination...

Hope this helps!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Theory: If a guy stole your car and he was unarmed and a pro kickboxer chased him, caught up, pulls him out of the car, head kicks him and he falls and breaks his neck, that would've been bad too. Or say the kickboxer smashes the guys head with the car door or something, but goes a little too hard. Screwed either way.
There are people in every art that do stupid and ego-driven things. It has nothing to do with which art you are studying. I guarantee there are hotheads in Krav Maga and every combat art out there. Heck, when I used to study wushu (which is NOT a combat art), there were guys who thought they could kick *** in a bar fight doing crescent kicks and twists and silliness.

The hot head mentality has far more to do with the individual and also the instructor's approach, not the art itself.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
Michael A. Krivka

Profile:

Exellent point Becca! :P
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
There are people in every art that do stupid and ego-driven things. It has nothing to do with which art you are studying. I guarantee there are hotheads in Krav Maga and every combat art out there. Heck, when I used to study wushu (which is NOT a combat art), there were guys who thought they could kick *** in a bar fight doing crescent kicks and twists and silliness.

The hot head mentality has far more to do with the individual and also the instructor's approach, not the art itself.

Reminds me of an Aikido sensei I very briefly studied with. He was obsessed with proving he could kick -*** with Aikido. "Uh, dude. I'm here to study the Way of Harmony. Looks like I came to the wrong place."

Oh, sorry. Hijack over. Yes, instructor, very important.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 AM   #17
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Agreed Becca, but Krav does open minds of some people. There's a little bit of everything in everything.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
Justin Horton

Profile:

What is the Krav Maga scene like in Canada. Specifically the east coast.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #19
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

http://www.kravmaga.com/canadalocations.asp

For Krav Maga locations check out www.kravmaga.com. I do not work for Krav Maga.com or anything either. Krav Maga is just one of the most, if not the most, effective martial arts out there.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
John Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Here is a quote from BrentW a Krav Maga instructor on the kravmaga.com forum. Krav Maga is for real life. Muay Thai is for sport.

"At the Force Training Division we have a ton of thank you letters from military personnel and law enforcement officers that have used not only our handgun and rifle defenses but also stick and knife. To my knowledge I haven't heard of a case where the gun defense failed. Keep in mind that there are a lot of factors and it is very high risk and it requires significant training.
That being said - We have even had call from someone who learned the gun from the front defense by learning it from the videos and he snatched the weapon right out of the assailant's hand."

Cops wrestling guns away from people in the strict sense of bad guy pointing gun and then cop disarms is very very rare and as a matter of fact I haven't even heard of any antidoctal stories let alone seen any proof. Most disarms occur in a very dynamic situation where the cop and bad guy are already wrestling around or the cop sees the weapon being deployed and acts.

No one is faster than someone else's trigger finger.