CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Gabriel Ortiz

Profile:
Weighted Kipping Pull ups

Hey guys, So, i tried to do todays WOD.

Well, things didnt go well. I am used to doing the kipping pull ups now--after following the CF training program.

However, they did not seem to work with the KB dangling from a belt between my legs. The KB sorta rocked back and forth and almost crushed, well, ya know. So, i extended the belt, but then the belt was sorta dangling right past the goods.

Am, I doing something wrong? Should the KB not be swinging that much?

Thanks a bunch.

sinc, -g.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Weighted Kipping Pull ups

I'd go with a dumbbell if you want to kip, it seems much easier.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Ortiz View Post
Hey guys, So, i tried to do todays WOD.

Well, things didnt go well. I am used to doing the kipping pull ups now--after following the CF training program.

However, they did not seem to work with the KB dangling from a belt between my legs. The KB sorta rocked back and forth and almost crushed, well, ya know. So, i extended the belt, but then the belt was sorta dangling right past the goods.

Am, I doing something wrong? Should the KB not be swinging that much?

Thanks a bunch.

sinc, -g.
For ultimo stability, if you can find a weighted vest that can adjust up to 100 (or more) pounds, you'd probably be best.

I've had zero luck using dumbbells, they're tough to hold onto for me, I have a hard time holding onto one when doing a deadhang, I couldn't imagine a kip, but maybe I just need more practice.

And yeah I'm right with you on the pullup strength. I think I need to mix in more deadhang pullups in my WOD's and/or warmup because I used to be able to do 6 deadhangs in a row like 4 months ago, and today I can do... 7. Of course I get over the bar much better now though.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Weighted vest is the best. If it's able to swing between your legs, that's a no no.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Craig Loizides

Profile:

For kipping pullups with dumbbells I find it easiest to hold the weight between my knees and do an Annie style kick rather than a swing.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Jonathan M. Guberman

Profile:

Do any of you guys know where one can get a weighted vest that goes up to 100lbs? The one that most places seem to carry is the Xvest, which, as far as I can tell, only goes up to 84 lbs. It's also awfully expensive (although I guess you are paying for a lot of weights). Also, some of the heavier weight vests seem like they might restrict shoulder range of motion for pull-ups. Is this not a problem? Are there heavy vests that are better for pull-ups than others?

Last edited by Jonathan M. Guberman : 09-13-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added ROM question
Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Jon Gilson

Profile:

The weight vest is definitely the best option if you want to kip. Other placements (dumbbell/kb/belt) tend to screw with mechanics.

I've found that once you get past the capacity of a 40-pound vest, the added weight makes kipping more difficult, perhaps counterproductive. Why tax your grip with a swinging motion when you're trying to build pulling strength? Just pull!

Heavy pullups (for me, at least) are always deadhang.

When going for a weighted pullup max effort, I'll often stuff weight plates in the front and back of a weight vest, and supplement with a dumbbell between the feet as needed.

Best,

Jon

Last edited by Jon Gilson : 09-13-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: latent perfectionism stemming from childhood
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Ian Carver

Profile:

I agree with Jon in that a kip with a DB or KB between the legs or dangling is pretty hard and somewhat goofy. Some people can pull off a kick/kip motion, but I just have a hard time with it. Go with a deadhang and work on your pure strength and pulling power.

I just don't have the cash right now for a weighted vest, so I do the next best thing and put on a weighted backpack. I wrap a DB in a towel (to keep the thing from digging into my back) and put it in a backpack and go to town. It feels a bit unwieldly at first, but it works. Of course, you can use other wieghted items in there are well, i.e., sandbags, med balls, etc. Most backpacks aren't going to last too well under heavy weight, so don't try and stick 100 pounds in your kid's Thomas the Train pack or get a quality mil-spec ruck from a surplus store that will take more abuse.

Mind you the backpack ideas is good for small runs, pull ups, squats and a few other movements, but it will not work out real well with something like burpees or any other movement with a lot of crazy motion.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

100 lb weight vests: www.weightvest.com

Personally, I kind of wish I would have been more patient and saved up my money for one big vest, rather than the two 40lb and one 20lb that I have currently. Rocking out ring dips and pull-ups with 100lb worth of vest on is a real kick in the pants.

Be very cautious with the kipping once your numbers start climbing, my first experience with 60lb of vest on for high reps left my elbows and shoulders crippled for two weeks. Work your way up gradually.