CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Mike Riess

Profile:
OHS Question

I'm new to crossfit- about three weeks in as of now, and maybe more than any other exercise I want to be able to do OHS. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on working towards them- right now i think maybe I lack the flexibility to keep the bar where it should be? My lower back ends up burning like crazy after maybe 8 reps using just the 45# bar. Also, my wrists start to ache (this happens with thrusters and push-jerks as well...) pretty quickly too. Any reccomendations/advice welcome!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: OHS Question

Perfect your form with a broomstick.

People tend to start using weitgh way too early in my opinion. Even if its low weitgh (#45). I'm more or less in the same situation as you. Finishing my third week in crossfit.

I do 15 OHS squat times 3 with a broomstick in each CFWU, before each WoD. And I'm still working on the form. It will take a lot of time, theres no magic unfortunately.

Make sure to fully extand your arms, and shrug ( i think this is how we say it) your shoulders into the lock position, and keep practicing. Not too long ago there was a video on the basics of the OHS demonstrated by the author of Starting Strentgh i think. REALLY WORTH IT.

Conclusion is that you'll need practice. Lots of it. And I really insist and suggest this whole broomstick thing , because it's way better to take 1 to 3 month to fully practice the form with progressively highering the weitghs, than going all out and dislocating something in your back, and be affected for the rest of your life if your not lucky, or rest due to the injury for more than the 1 to 3 months it would have taken you to practice my techniques.

Good luck, I feel you, but for your own sake, pick up that broomstick and keep practicing
Old 09-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

The lower back "burning" may be because you are "butt winking," that is, letting your fall under your body at the bottom of the squat, causing you to loose your lumbar curve... The same would happen with back squats, but overhead squats really amplify your technique errors and give you no leeway (the way it should be!).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UP...elated&search= (Work/Family Safe.)
The Squat Rx videos should have some good advice for you.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Kevin Platt

Profile:

I have to agree with Frederic - practice, practice, practice with a broomstick first to really get down the form. While you are doing this surf the net (and this site) and you should be able to find plenty of videos on doing the overhead squat. The trick will be ensuring you are looking at someone executing the movement with proper form.

Once you start doing the movement with weights, you may want to start with your basic squat (bar on your shoulders) or a front squat and work your way up to to overhead squat as it is a tough movement to master. You wanna build a good base upon which to build. Don't be afraid to work on your overhead squat form during warm-ups and cool owns as well.

The wirst ache is probably caused by working with too heavy of a weight, too soon. Take a step back, swallow you pride (which i have to do all the time in CF) and learn/perfrom the exercises with a broomstick or similar device first.

One final point are you doing the exercises with a "real" olympic bar or one of the cheap bars, as the commercially popular bars tend to have a narrow grip which is not always conducive to good form.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Mike Riess

Profile:

Hmmm... I figure it's just a standard commercial bar? The usual 45# ones found in gyms...