CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
William Lewis

Profile:
Im currently on my second week of Riptoes program. I chose this to try and get my strength up before attempting crossfit. My stats arent impressive but here goes.

Bench - 180
Squat - 200
Deadlift - 210

How should i be incorporating xfit into my routine? I squat everyworkout as riptoe perscribes and i am a little worried of overtraining my legs. Any advice would be great
Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
I think I am in the same boat as you... I started out with some WOD's and olympic lifting but I need to rebuild my strength after too long not working out.

I am working on Rippetoe's novice program because it has all the core lifts. I squat every training session because I give myself enough time to recover. Soon I will be working front and overhead squats into the program as well as the power clean. I also do strength related ab excercises like paralette holds and weighted situps.

Once my strength is back up (and hopefully even higher than it once was) I am going to start incorporating the WOD's back into my program.

In between the lifting days I usually do some sort of MetCon like rowing or elliptical or something. That way I can still get a workout on off days and be recovered enough to increase my work set weights for each excercise at every workout. The ability to increase the workload at every training session is Rippetoe's hallmark of the novice program. I figure after 3-4 months of this my progress will stagnate. When I cannot increase my poundage at each workout I will begin to diversify. The stronger you are when you start your WOD's the better off you will be. You will be able to perform more work and scale less. Then you can start working on the time aspect. Thats my thought anyway.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
David Bennett

Profile:
William, you may want to pick up his second book, Practical Programming. In PP, Rippetoe suggests backsquat on Monday and Friday, but working on your frontsquat on Wednesday, along with some other minor changes to the novice routine after you hit your first sticking point.

I don't know how to successfully incorporate crossfit into Rippetoe's program because each time I've tried, I wind up getting too exhausted to complete the next workout. So I am doing something similar to what Stefan says he is doing - focus on Rippetoe for 3-4 months till I stagnate then back to the WOD 3/1.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
John McBrien

Profile:
Also consider using the Blackbox ME template found in the Performance Menu. If you search for a thread under Practical Programming or Starting Strength, you should find a few posts where they mention that Blackbox ME worked very well.

In case you don't know what Blackbox ME is - you can download a free issue of the PM on their website.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Reece Holliday

Profile:
I have been doing the Starting Strength Program for 4 weeks now w/ good results. Deads went from 220x5 to 295x5/1 and presses went from 88x5 to 110x5/3. I feel like I could do more on both exercises but decided to take this week easy. I have been doing the program 3 days a week with "metcon" two days a week (density KB snatches),running (short distance)3-4 days week, and few other things. Though, this isn't the WOD, I have been able to measure progress and enjoy the routine.

My squats, however, are not improving at the same rate. I started at 132x5 and squeeked my way up to 196x5/3. The squats are subpar when compared to the other lifs. (According to the Strength standards chart weight =140)It seems that the squats have been too much for me.

Thought it would be best to share my experience, as this may help answer your question?

Best of luck and have fun lifting!

Reece
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
Yeah I think BBME is a great idea... once I get my strength levels back up I plan on incorporating that into my workouts. Practical Programming is a great book by the way. I really learned alot about training in general from that book. I may never move beyond the novice program because I want to work more metcon, but the more knowledge you have the better.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Hey guys

I've just started combining Rip's beginner program with 2 x week CrossFit. I want to increase my strength on the 5 lifts in Starting Strength, but still want to train 5 x week. My week looks like this -

M - 5 x 5 (Squat, Bench, Deadlift)
T - MetCon WOD (I just grab one from the main page WOD that looks suitable)
W - 5 x 5 (Squat, Press, Clean)
T - MetCon WOD
F - Same as Monday
Sat & Sun - Rest

Have only just started this plan, I've done M,T,W,T of week 1 and feeling pretty good so far.

My current 1RM stats are (all in kg's):
B/W: 85
Squat: 110 (goal 130)
Bench: 95 (105)
Dead: 130 (170)
Clean: 87 (100)
Press: 65 (70)

Will see how it goes. Biggest issue I see is overtraining and soreness, but I should be able to manage that adequately. Will keep this up for 4 weeks, have a back off week, then do 4 more weeks and see how it's going. If I've reached my goals, which I'm actually hoping to do in the 1st cycle, I'll back off the 5 x 5 and continue with the WOD.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
John Rowland

Profile:
I tried the whole 3 days heavy with MetCons like Fran and Elizabeth in between em. All I can say is you are going to have to pay extra hard attention to your body because you'll be pushing it pretty hard especially if you are not scaling and are getting pretty decent times. My suggestion is to just stick with the straight strength for a couple months and when you hit your first sticking point slowly implement stuff while gaging how it is making you feel. I dont know how your body is but I came pretty close to burning out after three weeks of trying that and had to revamp things.