CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #21
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Interestingly the local news has yet to blame the firearm or implicate the NRA, hunting, red meat or unfunded social programs. The main header is "Follow The Screams" which is what he told the 911 dispatcher in answer to a question about where he was going to shoot. A subhead tells us that "Friends describe complex young man." Yeah complex, oh and an enigma to. The story tells of his difficult life, family turmoil, playing army, a criminal background and a defense attorney that represented him in a burglary case wanted us to know that Maldonado struck hm as "...an intelligent teenager and loyal friend willing to take the rap for his buddy." His defense attorney says, "Anything as horrendous as this must have some genesis. It's my job to make sense of something that's not easy to make sense of." That's the defense attorney's job to make sense of 8 counts of first degree assault, 4 counts of first degree kidnapping and 2 counts of unlawful possession of a firearm? Sure perhaps we'll all feel better if it makes sense. Sorry defense attorney, shooting up a mall and terrifying a bunch of people you hold hostage cannot be examined into sensibility.

One of our major problems today is the notion that everyone is valuable, has worth and that you can't hate the person, you hate the things they do. You know what...there are some really evil stinking people in this world that should never see the light of day and cannot be allowed to interact with society. But for some inexplicable reason there are people who will blame just about anything or anyone associated with the bad guy, but not the bad guy himself. Society has failed him, the system let him down, he was economically disadvantaged, he didn't have a father in the house...the litany goes on and on.

I teach at a driving school and I have a class tonight. Twenty-two 15 1/2 to 17 year olds most with the attention span of aluminum. I drive with them too and that is a terror you will never know...unless you teach your kid to drive and they are really, really bad. Pray for me.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #22
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Always Eugene...for you and all the other guys/gals out there who've got our backs.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #23
Don Woodson

Profile:
Eug, I know well the terror of which you speak!
I taught my neice how to drive. The first time I had her negotiate a left turn from a stop sign, she didn't understand that once she completes the turn, she has to allow the steering wheel to return to center. The car continued turning left into oncoming traffic. Fortunately, my reflexes were still working and I grabbed the wheel and spun it back just in time. I remember well the horrified look on the driver in the oncoming vehicle, and that sudden surge of adrenaline.
That's our Eugene. The adrenaline junkie and temptor of fate. If he can't find a bad guy's door to bust down, he satisfies his craving by getting into a car with a teenager at the helm. Major cajones!:kiss:

And where was that team picture on top of the C-17 taken? I'm QA on the manufacture of those.
I tend to think of them as C-141's on Crossfit. She's my baby.

(Message edited by 54ford on November 23, 2005)
Old 11-23-2005, 06:23 AM   #24
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Eugene, we are working a case now where a guy gives us a video taped confession. Shot a guy in the back, three times, guy went to the hospital and died a week later. He claims the guy was holding a gun, but not pointing the gun at him. Witnesses did not see the victim holding a gun. Both gangbangers, so it's possible. SA's office decides it's self defense...no charges. Now if I shot the guy, I'd be hung, because I'm a police officer...but I guess it's ok to engage in gun battles in the streets, as long as you say the other guy was holding a gun, oh and this is one of the poorest areas in the state, both gentlemen were disadvantaged and grew up in a fatherless home. See, the victim was the babydaddy of the 18 year old girl the shooter was "seeing".
Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #25
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Echoing Matt's sentiments--and hoping you survived the drivers Eugene!