CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
I just left a typical gym, talked to the head trainer and introduced myself. I talked to him about CF and possibly running some weekend seminars for free to introduce his members to CF. He told me that I was not certified and a CF cert was not good enough! So, I asked him what certs would be acceptable, he told me, ISSA, ACE, and ACMS. I then asked him what his certs were and he told me that it was known of my business and esorted me to the door! By the way he was probably 15-20lbs overweight and sickly looking. So, do I need any other certs to be legit? I am going to Boston in Oct for round one. What do you suggest?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Mark Miller

Profile:
Dolph - I did not utter the name Crossfit. The gym I am working at wanted me to get certified so I asked them to pay for the course. They said OK but asked for a year commitment. We all know every contract has and out so I agreed. I have been designing my programs with a crossfit basis and going forward. They seem to be ok but I have had some talks with the fitness director about working people too hard, notlong enough, and the most recent one was not using regular sized dumbbells with female clients. I suggest getting hired at the gym first and then do what they tell you until you get a chance to design your own programs and go from there. Hope that helps. BTW its still a work in progress for me.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
I own and operate a landscape design/build, so working for a gym would be impossible. I thought that running CF on the weekend would give them a taste. In hind site I probably upset the guy and he became very defensive of HIS gym. I may get certified as a CFT anyway, until I am fully certified by crossfit.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
Mark
I talked to a trainer at the gym were I am a member and he showed interest in running some seminars. Never thought they would have interest, they are more of a family gym. I need to talk to some of the other trainers and come up with a plan. See what happens.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Mark Miller

Profile:
Dolph-good job. I was going yo say that I am a full time cop and do PT part time. So I know you are busy running your business but I think you are headed in the right direction. Good Luck!!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
I will keep you informed.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Dolph

Here in NYC we have been thrown out of several gyms for doing our weekend CrossFit workouts. Persistence! Most gyms require some nationally recognized certification for their insurance purposes, but you can also get yourself insured and have the gym named as an insured and show them the certificate. That might reassure them more. I have my NSCA-CSCS in addition to my CrossFit Cert.

Have a good time and good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Joshua Newman

Profile:
To second Keith's statement: even the few gyms that will let you in the door seem to quickly blanche once they see the workouts in action. Largely, I suspect, because it makes the other trainers and clients look like pansies.

Nothing like seeing Fight Gone Bad in action parallel to your workout to make you question whether that hip adductor machine is really doing anything.

Our longest pre-kicked-out stretch to date was at a martial arts school; they also seem less likely to care about 'nationally recognized' certs. Might be worth exploring.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 AM   #9
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
Great advice. I think the first gym head trainer was intimadated. His hands were shaking and seemed that I would even suggest such a thing--plus as I said he was at least 15-20lbs over. The gym I belong to seems interested because they do not offer any strength type group lifting. One of the trainers that I am friends with really supports the idea and wants to run the program with me, he really wants to get into Oly. I am in the process of getting a cert and would have to complete 20 hrs of internship at my gym. I just recieved my LLC for Crossfit Mercer, I am working on liability insurance today and will send in the affilation papaer work as soon as the insurance in ligned up. I am going to be at CF Boston for cert. The head trainers know my workouts and have been open to new exercises, ie virtual shoveling. I see them using the same CF exercises on there clients. I am going to persue this to the fullest and make it work, even if it is at a turtles pace in the beginning. Keep you posted.