CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Mike Breslin

Profile:
Hello
My name is Mike Breslin and I came across this website while simultaneously searching for quick, hard workouts for a high school wrestling team I will be helping to coach next season, and workouts to get me in shape for returning to the Marine Corps as an officer, once I finish school.

I came across this site and researched it for about a week, and did the WOD's for about a week and a half before scheduling a training session with Tom Brose of Crossfit DC (which was great, by the way).

I guess I am about two weeks in. I haven't noticed anything crazy happening strength or conditioning-wise yet, but I think I may be in muscle breakdown stage right now. Anyways, its awesome so far, and I thoroughly enjoy the looks my fellow gym rats give me when I do some of the workouts or attempt muscle ups. Thanks for the great site. I will probably ask many questions.

My first one is, if there are any wrestlers/ coaches out there, do you use Crossfit with the wrestlers, and if so, how do you structure practice. My plan is to preexhaust them with CF, and then get get into the wrestling portion of practice. Any ideas?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Mike, welcome to CrossFit!
Lots of military folks here on the message board, I served with the Airborne, but you'll find plenty of Marines.
For advice for the striking & grappling fighting systems, checkout the CrossPit section.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Hi, Mike, and welcome.

I'm 99% unqualified to advise you . . . but that never stopped anyone on the Internet before, so here goes:

Most trainers would say NOT to attempt to learn new skills in a "pre-exhausted" state. So while I like your idea from a purely conditioning viewpoint (having to wrestle when already "worked"), I worry that your guys might not get something new you were trying to get across.

I'd also consider doing the reverse sequence . . . coach, train new skills, wrestle hard, then ask them to extend themselves even further in the WOD.

Caveat: there are sometimes some relatively high-skill moves required in the WOD (snatches, etc.) . . . I wouldn't suggest approaching those for the first time in an exhausted state, either.

Good luck, and, again, welcome!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Mike Breslin

Profile:
Thanks for the advice guys. David, In response to your post, I will not be using the O-lifts initially, as am not satisfied in my own proficiency. Mainly we will focus on bodyweight and gymnastic moves, at least until I get better at them (the O lifts).Plus, our facilities are struggling.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Welcome, Mike!

I coach a college jiu jitsu club and I started implementing some crossfit ideas in the warmup and found it worked great. I found the CF warmup in Journal #8 was a great way to start laying a basic foundation. I shortened it to 3 rounds of 8 reps of samson stretch, squat, pullup, pushup, superman (back extensions), situps, and bridges. Sometimes I would change the rep scheme.

In addition, warming up with some running, takedowns, handfighting, breakfalling, armbars and other skills is good too.

Once they have a basic strength and skill level. The warmups started looking like mini-WODs. For example: as many rounds as you can of Angie in 6 minutes (the length of a jiu jitsu match); burpee/pullup ladders; tabata squats; etc.

If you have more time to train them outside of the wrestling room, then you can get more creative with some lifting and stuff. Otherwise, I recommend searching the boards for bodyweight workouts and team workouts and you'll come up with lots of ideas.

Since they are high schoolers, I would take it "easy" on them. Get them warmed up by running some laps and doing some shadow wrestling (3-5 minutes). Then blast them with a 10 min or less warmup/WOD (I would shoot for 5-8 minutes). Then have practice. Try to focus them on performing the exercises correctly: good squats, good pullups, good pushups, good situps. Slowly up the intensity as they get stronger.

PS - Don't forget sprints, burpees, broad jumps and buddy carries.

(Message edited by musashi on May 24, 2006)