CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I was looking at a box of triscuits (original) to see how bad they were.

Ingredients: whole wheat, soybean oil, salt, monoglycerides.

serving size: 6 crackers

fat: 4.5g
carb: 19g (0g sugar, 3g dietary fiber)
protein: 3g

So, that would seem way better than I would have thought. Does this food qualify as "not terrible" or am I missing something.

If that is true, would a little cheese on top be a reasonable snack from time to time?

Thanks...

howard
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
o man are you serious?

Sir please step away from the triscuits...

(Message edited by kmckay on June 06, 2007)
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:
Welcome to the minefield that is the Crossfit nutrition forum, Howard! Apparently the consumption of wheat-based products is a sin worthy of excommunication from the Crossfit Church.
Many believe that if a foodstuff can't be killed with a spear, picked from a tree or dug up from the ground, you shouldn't be eating it.
Grains and dairy are apparently the cause of all modern ills, whilst sugar is no better than crack cocaine.
Yet even if you confine yourself to a Paleo-friendly diet of meat, fish, vegetables and fruit, with the odd nut or dash of monounsaturated oil thrown in, there are still those who will not be satisfied.
Legumes such as beans and peas? Evil.
Tomatoes, peppers and potatoes? Members of the nightshade family, therefore evil.
Soya? Full of oestrogen, so eating this will make you grow breasts and your testes shrivel like raisins. Or something.
Fish - healthy enough you think, but actually full of mercury and also unethical due to overfishing.
As for Triscuits, they may have been excreted from the bowels of Satan himself.

Personally, I believe in moderation, and you will find a few other like-minded people here who think the same. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, some nuts, and lean meat, but I also enjoy several strong cups of tea with skimmed milk a day (well, I am English!), the odd dessert or box of gourmet chocolate truffles and anything that appeals if I'm eating out with friends.
If you really, really want Triscuits, then one or two isn't going to kill you (unless you accidentally choke on one). However, if you are going to have a wheat-based cheat meal, I'd personally rather have a fantastic piece of crusty bread or some fresh pasta.
Cheat meals are fine every so often but it's best to limit your treats to foods that give you real pleasure rather than snack that are "not terrible."
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
That was funny Cal. Nightshade even sounds evil.

From a zonish perspective, they don't sound too bad. Low sugar, reasonable fat and protein. A few crackers with cheese would seem like a decent snack (perhaps a little heavy on fat, but not outrageous assuming portion control).

It does seem like there is nothing left to eat but beef, chicken, and broccoli sometimes.

In defense of those folks (most definitely not just Kevin) they are likely healthier than me...and over time I seem to be getting more and more strict. Perhaps I'll continue to progress in that direction and one day preach on the evils of nightshades and milk.

But I'm definitely not there yet...

We can agree, though, that high-fructose corn-syrup is the devil, and I was expecting it to be in the triscuits and it wasn't.

howard

(Message edited by howardw on June 07, 2007)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The "moderation" statement is always fascinating to me. What EXACTLY does that mean and from where does one draw a center to be "moderate" from?

Somewhere on this site a term to the effect "forging Elite Fitness" is displayed. This would seem to imply elite nutrition to accompany that. By and large that has translated into some kind of a "paleo/zone diet". Esnetailly food quality and portion control.

Now we can find thousands of sites that endorse a grian based diet. The governments of many lands endorse this but I'm fairly certian this is not where optimum health and performance is found...yet we are Zealots for recommending a high standard?

I have seen far too many people benefit from a paleo/zone diet to feel at all good about recomending anything other than this approach. I think it makes sense to at least try this and see how one feels and performs and then reintroduce other foods. Then one has a real baseline to compare from.

Is it a viable proposition to say "Try this and see how you do?" Can that also be considered moderate?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
"moderate" would be one serving which is 29 grams of triscuits, probably 3 or 4.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Why eat anything that comes out of a cardboard box. No life and it's processed. I'd guess, you're almost paying as much for the packaging / advertising and shelf space as that crap in the box. I agree with all the above posts and especially Kevins, "step away from the Triscuits an no one will get hurt"

Jay
Old 06-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #8

Profile:

i'm with robbie. elite = extraordinary. moderation = mediocre. if mediocrity is what we're striving for, the rules are very different than if we're striving for the extraordinary.

so the answer to the original question requires another question: What are your priorities? Eating tasty little things that offer zero nutritional benefit but a host of problems ranging from potential to definite and minor to serious? Or achieving the ultimate degree of fitness/health?

if the former, eat some triscuits. if the latter, which, as robb said, would be presumable considering the location of the question, don't eat the triscuits.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
That's all true of course, but for some/most of us there is a trade-off. Namely, eating stuff that is very tasty.

I could live on twigs, berries, and meat I've killed myself (little sarcasm there) and likely lose fat faster and perform better...but I'm not sure I would be happier. To never again have beer/wine/chocolate/pasta/etc would be miserable to me. And that doesn't even get into virtually never being able to eat normally with family and such. If y'all have achieved such a state, more power to you (and you likely have that power with your better eating).

Were I working towards the olympics I'm sure being totally pure would be the plan. But I'm not. I'm working on gaining strength/skill and losing fat. I'm am trending appropriately in both of those. I generally eat zone-ish (though not paleo) most of the time with a usually a planned-cheat during the weekend. This seems to have minimal effect on me, though I'm sure there is some. That's what moderation means. A balancing of all things important to me of which crossfit performance is an important one...but not the only one. Over time, as I mentioned, I've gotten more strict and there could come a time where I lambast people for eating rice...but I'm not there at this point.

Re: the triscuits...yes they are out of a box and I've mostly eliminated that kind of stuff...so I was pleasantly surprised at the ingredient list (i.e. no HFCS). I don't crave them and they aren't that important (I haven't had one in a couple years for example)...but I do like them and thought I would ask. Given the profile they seem to fit into zonish eating. Perhaps not, hence the question.

Thanks...

howard
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Cal Jones

Profile:
Howard, my sentiments exactly. You have to pick something you can live with. In the past I've done these ambitious low carb, no fun diets and what always happened was I would tire of the tyranny, rebel and go on tremendous binges that would leave me feeling like crap, mentally and physically.
Food is one of my chief pleasures in life, so if I can eat very well most of the time and then allow myself the things I truly enjoy on occassion, that is fine by me. I actually turned down moussaka and chocolate eclairs when I last went to visit my parents, not because I felt I had to, but because I genuinely didn't want them. However, if I really want something, I'm going to have it. So there.