CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Eric Lester

Profile:
I am at 162 pounds, 5'7" and around 15-18% body fat. I haven't checked it in a while.

A while back I calculated my Zone blocks to be 14 a day. I was checking an average day's diet today and found that I was getting about 10-12 blocks of carbs and 12 protein, but only 3 blocks of fat. (Only about 1000 calories!)

Obviously I need to get my carbs and protein back up. However, if I am wanting to get to below 10% body fat do I need to continue with 14 blocks of fat? If I only eat 3 blocks of fat a day will I burn body fat in its place?

Note: I have not felt weak in my workouts and have been putting up more weight more easily.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but here's what I believe. First of all, one of the main principles of the zone is to eat fat to burn fat. If you are only eating 3 blocks of fat per day, you are not in tune with that principle. Yes, I would recommend that you bring your fat intake up, at least equal to your proteins and carbs. Start there. For other reasons, your body is probably craving some of the benefits of having fats in your diet. I expect to see dramatic improvements accross the board by adding fats. I'm curious, why is your fat intake so low?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Where do we get "continue with 14 blocks of fat" from? I thought you were on 3 blocks?

Jordan's got it right, you'll burn fat if you eat less calories than you expend, regardless of fat percentage. 1000 calories a day is VERY low for an active CFer. I can't believe that you aren't feeling weak if you really only eat that much.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Ian Malone

Profile:
One of the reasons for adding fats to the diet apart from ramping up calories for athletes and getting 'essential' fatty acids is to help control insulin. The fat eaten as part of every meal will slow the absorption of insulin promoting carbohydrates into the blood stream and mitigate the levels of insulin. Controlled blood sugar means acceptable levels of insulin. Keeping insulin levels down means the opposing hormone glucagon can do it's job metabolizing stored body fat. It's all in Sears 'Mastering the zone' and if you feel inclined most physiology books under metabolic regulation. You need at least the prescribed zone blocks of fat. You'll lost fat the fastest possible way.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Eric Lester

Profile:
Skylar, poor wording on my part. I have only been getting about 3 blocks of fat a day.

Jordan, my fat is low because I'm eating only lean meats, vegetables, and whole grains. I have mostly worried about getting carbohydrates and protein and haven't given fat much thought until now.

I will start adding in some olive oil and guacamole to my diet to get my fat blocks up. Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Calorie in calorie out is bs in numerous ways. The body is way too complicated to make blanket statements like "eat less calories then you expend". I wrote a long post about this a couple of years ago and don't want to re-hash, but just food for thought: eat 1000 calories of candy and 1000 calories of lean protein...is it the same, does it have the same effect on the body? Thermic effect of food, the bodies use of energy digesting the foods are completely different for different foods. Additionally 1000 calories of candy will effect your hormones (think insulin) drastically differently then 1000 kcal of fish. Eric, if your not eating 40-30-30 or increasing fat blocks, your not on the zone....weight watchers, Jenny Craig, may be....not the Zone. You need to get your fat blocks up to at least 30%. Fish oil will help you burn fat.