CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: 5 exercises for awesome Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Have you heard of greg glassman?
who???
Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
who???
http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...be341fedab.jpg WFS
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Quote:
With regard to the "exercises", no offense guys but it felt like I was watching a video from men's health magazine. I mean really, those are the five you came up with?

How about:
1) deadlift (all variations - except sdhp. that's not a variation it is a bastardization)
2) squat (all variations)
3) standing press
4) weighted pullups
5) weighted walks (all variations)

Those would not only be more effective for the abz (and please stop saying "burn" when talking about movements, it give me chills and not the good kind) they would or at least should more closely fit in to what is presumably your methodology of training.

Bottom line, adding a kettlebell to a crunch doesn't make it eleet. It is still just a crunch.
This

And - You are teaching the GHD sit-up poorly.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Adam: you listed Weighed pull-ups as your #4. I have done some weighed chin-ups and pull-ups and personally I don't feel they use the abs MUCH more than regular unweighed chins or pulls.

However, the L-pull-ups, if you truly keep those legs above horizontal at all times, seem to hit the abs/core incredibly hard. Or should I have said BURN?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Adam: you listed Weighed pull-ups as your #4. I have done some weighed chin-ups and pull-ups and personally I don't feel they use the abs MUCH more than regular unweighed chins or pulls.
Interesting you say that; there's an article here that did an informal study that demonstrated that the bodyweight chinup had more activation of the major ab muscles than any other exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-627 (sorta wfs if you're ok with giant bodybuilders)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
Jim Crowell

Profile:

Quote:
With regard to the "exercises", no offense guys but it felt like I was watching a video from men's health magazine. I mean really, those are the five you came up with?

How about:
1) deadlift (all variations - except sdhp. that's not a variation it is a bastardization)
2) squat (all variations)
3) standing press
4) weighted pullups
5) weighted walks (all variations)

Those would not only be more effective for the abz (and please stop saying "burn" when talking about movements, it give me chills and not the good kind) they would or at least should more closely fit in to what is presumably your methodology of training.

Bottom line, adding a kettlebell to a crunch doesn't make it eleet. It is still just a crunch.
Its good to hear an opinion that is different than mine. I certainly agree that the exercises you listed are good exercises for abs.

Our goal with this video was to show some exercises that are not as commonly done in CrossFit to help mix things up. And that appeal to a broad audience ranging from elite CrossFitters to people who are new to working out.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Interesting you say that; there's an article here that did an informal study that demonstrated that the bodyweight chinup had more activation of the major ab muscles than any other exercise.

http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-627 (sorta wfs if you're ok with giant bodybuilders)
Interesting article. It actually found MORE ab involvement in unweighted chins than weighted in the lower abdominals. He was focusing on keeping his spine neutral so his abdominals were tense to keep his back from arching during the exercise.

I'm not going to treat EMG results as gospel without some sort of demonstration of end point results (actually getting stronger or bigger instead of just creating a number that they THINK will lead to getting stronger or bigger) and probably a more rigorous approach, but it's still very interesting food for thought.

Last edited by David Meverden : 07-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

1. Snatch
2. Squat Clean
3. Overhead Squat
4. L-Pullups
5. Deadlift
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Crowell View Post
Its good to hear an opinion that is different than mine. I certainly agree that the exercises you listed are good exercises for abs.

Our goal with this video was to show some exercises that are not as commonly done in CrossFit to help mix things up. And that appeal to a broad audience ranging from elite CrossFitters to people who are new to working out.
Many CFers won't be a big fan of videos like this one, and I think I can summon up the reasons in a couple of points:

1) The core has parts in the front and parts in the back and both are critical to spinal stability, back health, and sport functionality. When people are encouraged to spent tons of time on the front, but little on the back, I have to question whether it is a routine based on what is works and what is good for back health, or whether it is more influenced by ripped abz being trendy. Now, I don't know what the video makers support for lower back training, but my guess is that it isn't a 15 minute circuit done several times a week to "really burn out" the back. I have seen a number of people who feel they need to do ab work 4-5 times a week while they isolate lower back musculature once, or not at all. I also talked to one person with back problems who did tons of ab exercises because they heard it helps prevent back problems yet they didn't do anything to actually strengthen the back. Videos like this, whether they intend to or not, often times promote these kinds of mindsets.

2) It is unclear to an observer (in this case me) on what criteria these particular exercises were selected. It appears that they were selected based on the amount of "burn" but there isn't really any evidence that that is synonymous with getting stronger. In fact, I would say there is evidence to the contrary, since this approach to training (relatively light resistance work focused on one muscle group for 10-20 minutes almost non-stop) isn't used by any strength focused athlete I've heard of (powerlifters, O-lifters, strongmen, etc). For instance, if you wanted a big bench press you probably aren't going to grab lightweight dumbbells and do a 15 minute non-stop circuit of bench, chest flies, incline bench, and decline bench. There would be an incredible burn and you'd be sore but it wouldn't be nearly as good for absolute strength as heavy sets. So, if we don't make our bench press muscles really strong that way why would our abs get really strong this way?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Many CFers won't be a big fan of videos like this one, and I think I can summon up the reasons in a couple of points:

1) The core has parts in the front and parts in the back and both are critical to spinal stability, back health, and sport functionality. When people are encouraged to spent tons of time on the front, but little on the back, I have to question whether it is a routine based on what is works and what is good for back health, or whether it is more influenced by ripped abz being trendy. Now, I don't know what the video makers support for lower back training, but my guess is that it isn't a 15 minute circuit done several times a week to "really burn out" the back. I have seen a number of people who feel they need to do ab work 4-5 times a week while they isolate lower back musculature once, or not at all. I also talked to one person with back problems who did tons of ab exercises because they heard it helps prevent back problems yet they didn't do anything to actually strengthen the back. Videos like this, whether they intend to or not, often times promote these kinds of mindsets.

2) It is unclear to an observer (in this case me) on what criteria these particular exercises were selected. It appears that they were selected based on the amount of "burn" but there isn't really any evidence that that is synonymous with getting stronger. In fact, I would say there is evidence to the contrary, since this approach to training (relatively light resistance work focused on one muscle group for 10-20 minutes almost non-stop) isn't used by any strength focused athlete I've heard of (powerlifters, O-lifters, strongmen, etc). For instance, if you wanted a big bench press you probably aren't going to grab lightweight dumbbells and do a 15 minute non-stop circuit of bench, chest flies, incline bench, and decline bench. There would be an incredible burn and you'd be sore but it wouldn't be nearly as good for absolute strength as heavy sets. So, if we don't make our bench press muscles really strong that way why would our abs get really strong this way?
Good post.