CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #21
Allen Tluczek

Profile:
Re: Organic Eggs and Animal Abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
That's fine. I think people should be able to buy what they want. I just don't like the people that imply (not saying anyone here is doing this) that you must be a horrible person or a lazy monster if you don't want to garden or buy free-range/grass fed animal products.
No, only for shopping at Wal-Mart. Kidding.

Really, once I get out of an apartment I plan on growing some of my own food, especially heirloom tomatoes. About 1/4 of my eggs for the month come from local, organic, cage-free farms. About 1/2 are either Michigan free-range organic or Eggland's Best Cage Free organic. About 1/4 are just normal grocery store eggs as a concession to saving money. I figure since most of my egg money is going to support at least cage free organic, I'm "voting with my dollar."
Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I still wouldn't garden, but the idea of owning chickens and harvesting their eggs would be cool if I didn't live in the city.

But, I rarely eat eggs and I'm a big animal lover. Like I don't mind eating meat I bought at the store because I had no attachment to that animal and I didn't have to look at it when it was killed. But because of that I could never own farm animals that I turn into meat because I'd grow too attached. Same with hunting, I don't think I could actually kill an animal myself. I currently have a mouse that's found it's way in through my dog door and I'm having trouble setting traps b/c I don't want to kill him.

But, owning chickens to produce eggs and as a pet (i think they're cute.....) would be cool. However it's not possible in my current location and I doubt I'll ever live in a country area. I'll probably always be a city boy.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #23
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
No, only for shopping at Wal-Mart. Kidding.
Haha. Well I have two grocery stores close to me: Crest and Wal-Mart. A package of Hormel Black Label Maple Bacon (my favorite) is 2.98 at Wal-Mart and 4.99 at Crest!
Yeah, I'm going to Wal-Mart.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post

...But, owning chickens to produce eggs and as a pet (i think they're cute.....) would be cool. However it's not possible in my current location and I doubt I'll ever live in a country area. I'll probably always be a city boy....
Clearly, you have never spent much time around chickens!