CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
Scott Brodersen

Profile:
Squat form check, please

Hi,

any feedback would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLDg-F2iRs

Thanks,
scott
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Squat form check, please

It looks to me like you have some pretty serious butt wink (rounding of the lower back at the bottom) to fix. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

See here for some discussion and instruction WFS:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...3D688F10C4DE1F

Last edited by Ned Ferguson : 05-10-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Celio Silva

Profile:

Hey Scott, good effort. A couple of things to work on:

You are simply dropping onto your knees (bad!). Start the squat by slowly sitting back w/ your hips and controling the weight down.

Your way up looks better but you need to focus your drive more on the hips.

Good luck. Keep it up!!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

Ned, thanks for the link. Butt wink is due to lack of flexibility I think...working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Start the squat by slowly sitting back w/ your hips
Thanks for the feedback Celio. Rip's advice is to get your knees in place during the first third of the lift, which means start by getting them slightly in front of the toes and then keeping them there. Starting the squat by first sitting back is something I've been trying to correct, because then my knees are too far back, and I wasn't engaging my quads enough.

I don't know what you mean by 'dropping onto the knees', since what I see myself doing is getting my knees in position and then keeping them there during the rest of the descent. I'd like to understand what you mean, though. Could you elaborate?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Greg Pieris

Profile:

The butt wink and the knees aren't the problem. I don't see either of them as being particularly offensive. In fact these squats look exactly like mine before I got coaching.

The issue is that the bar is tracking over and in front of your toes.

I agree that sitting back first is not ideal - you get your knees in place and sit into into the squat. You're getting your knees in place, you're lifting up your butt out of the bottom, but the weight being forward causes a few bad things to happen:
1) your chest drops at the bottom - you're trying to hit depth by allowing the bar to drop your torso down. this will turn into a goodmorning at heavy weights if you don't correct now
2) you're leg pressing the bar because it is difficult to engage hip drive with the weight forward like that.
3) your squats are high about 1-2 inches.

The bar needs to track directly over the middle of your foot. For you, because the weight is so far forward, this might feel like the bar is over your heels.

I can see you know what to do. Keep on doing everything you're already doing, but change one thing. Keep the bar over your heels. This will fix all your problems.

How to do this?

Rippetoe will say chest up, but this didn't work for me.

Now, this is Rippetoe sacrilege, and I'm only recommending this because you're on your own without a coach...look up. No need to crane your neck or anything. Pick a spot a few inches above parallel while standing and do not look away. This will make it a lot easier to allow the bar to track over your heels instead of forward and will help keep your chest up at the bottom.

Keeping the chest up does mean lifting the chest. Your torso angle should remain constant throughout the bottom 2/3rds of the squat.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pieris View Post
1) your chest drops at the bottom - you're trying to hit depth by allowing the bar to drop your torso down. this will turn into a goodmorning at heavy weights if you don't correct now
2) you're leg pressing the bar because it is difficult to engage hip drive with the weight forward like that.
3) your squats are high about 1-2 inches.
This is bang on! Weight-too-forward probably explains why, when I do feel that I've engaged hip drive effectively, I end up unbalanced forward (on my toes). I'm very encouraged by your advice -- I'll try your tip.

Thanks Greg, really appreciated.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Celio Silva

Profile:

Scott, in my opinion you are worring too much about quads engagement at the expense of hams & glutes engagement. Granted, the quads take up most of the load on the squat but you are not sitting back at all, that's why you end up lowering the bar with your upper back and coming too far forward. Sit back and you'll be able to maintain the bar over heels and drive it back up with your hips without having to look up, which you shouldn't do.

Just my .02 cents for what is worthy.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

Celio, thanks. I hear what you are saying, and it's worth many many dollars more to me than .02.

I know what you mean by sitting back. Here's some history: It used to be that I'd set up with my knees behind my toes (I was overly-focused on engaging the posterior chain). I corrected that on the descent, but on the ascent I'd push my butt back instead of up -- my knees would end up behind my toes again. I was engaging the hams and glutes too much, and not using the quads effectively. See the following thread for a related discussion (I wasn't involved in the thread):

http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4382

Since then, I've focused on keeping my knees in the correct position on the ascent, and I've managed to accomplish that. But I need to compensate for the changes I've made to knee position.

When I had the knees too-far back, I'd be forced to lean forward enough at the hips (i.e. decrease the angle between thigh and back) to keep the bar over mid-foot. I think I'm still leaning over as if my knees were too far back, and I need to correct that habit. When I correct that, the weight won't be so far forward, and I think that I'll automatically sit back correctly, as you suggest.

Thanks for listenting to me think out loud. And thanks again for your feedback!