CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #151
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
**Testimonial by proxy**

I reconnected with a high school friend via Facebook, and the CF/nutrition Pandora's box was eventually wide open. I challenged her to give herself 30 days without eating any grain or sugar ( I thought she'd make it 2 weeks, which would be a good start to kicking the white crack ).

Well, today is day 30, and this chick has shed 14 lbs. She feels great, loves the foods she had to eat while doing this, and has a new found interest in fitness as well.

So, this challenge really goes beyond CF. Keep it up folks.
How inspiring! Congrats to her.

Good job everyone!

--

I've been going strong. 10 blocks a day. No grains. No sugar. No chocolate (I need at least a week detox from THAT).
Yay.
I feel okay -- I have not been able to sleep... :/ but soon I hope I'll be so exhausted I just crash and have an amazing rest, hah. Workouts have been going well (3 days on 1 day off). Craving strictly consist of chocolate and nut butters. And I'm avoiding at all costs. Hah. So all's well on this end. Thank goodness for this thread <3
Old 01-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #152
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Sleeplessness usually means overtraining, rest or up the fat. But you probably knew this. Unless a baby or barking dog is keeping you awake of course. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #153
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
I've been going strong. 10 blocks a day. No grains. No sugar. No chocolate (I need at least a week detox from THAT).
Yay.

I feel okay -- I have not been able to sleep... :/ but soon I hope I'll be so exhausted I just crash and have an amazing rest, hah. Workouts have been going well (3 days on 1 day off). Craving strictly consist of chocolate and nut butters. And I'm avoiding at all costs. Hah. So all's well on this end. Thank goodness for this thread <3
Samantha,

I can say with all confidence, having never met you, and with no idea of your height or weight, that 10 blocks a day is not enough food. At all. Especially not if you are CrossFitting on a 3/1 schedule.

Try upping your blocks to 12. Really. Just try it for a week. Keep it clean, of course, but for the love of Justin Timberlake, you need to eat more food. Give it a week, then tell me how you feel.

Melissa
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #154
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
**Testimonial by proxy**

I reconnected with a high school friend via Facebook, and the CF/nutrition Pandora's box was eventually wide open. I challenged her to give herself 30 days without eating any grain or sugar ( I thought she'd make it 2 weeks, which would be a good start to kicking the white crack ).

Well, today is day 30, and this chick has shed 14 lbs. She feels great, loves the foods she had to eat while doing this, and has a new found interest in fitness as well.

So, this challenge really goes beyond CF. Keep it up folks.
I hate her. Resentment by proxy to wherever she is via Bob. OK, not really. Just jealous of the weight-loss-feels-great-thing. I honestly don't care about the scale (I have the tanita BF scale, as well-what a joke!), but am failing jiggle test. And my energy levels aren't up to par yet. patience, grasshopper.

I did the clean/dip WOD today, and felt like taking a nap pretty much all day. somehow I managed to lift my hands over my head to wash my hair afterwards, but chest/triceps so fried it was my second WOD for the morning. I love it, though. So glad I found the site, and the community here is awesome!

Keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #155
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Yes. "Patience, grasshopper" <- nice.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #156
John Penner

Profile:

0 sugar again
I have to second or third that comment on look to all the foods we get to add when eating good I dont feel guilty and eat huge salads, veggie bowls, omlets stuffed w/ all kinds of stuff
I have in the past skipped healthy meals(to cut overall calories) but thats stupid & I know it. I'm counting pros & fats to make sure I'm eating enough protien & not too much fat.(1/3 tsp. olive oil isnt very much) measuring more will get me on the right track.

I'm just fine tunning more & more, getting leaner & stronger
Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #157
Lynne Lagan

Profile:

I have been lurking on this thread for a while, and it has inspired me to experiement with the no grains/no sugar and do some reading on the whole paleo thing. I've been doing CF for a while, but only recently started reading the forums, and paleo is a concept I was unfamiliar with until I stumbled onto this thread and another with a link to Marks Daily Apple (which I am really enjoying reading). Haven't come across much press in Australia on the paleo concept.

I am now on day 6 of zero grains and zero sugar and I feel fantastic. I was not a massive carb and sugar junkie before trying to give it up completely, but did have whole grains of some description with every single meal or snack. However, I didn't have any cravings or energy drop when I gave it up, and I am surprised that I don't miss them as part of my meals. I feel it has also enabled me to kick my training up a notch. I am not in the habit of weighing myself, but definately feel I have shrunk somewhat in the last week.

This is definately something I want to commit to doing on a permanent basis and it certainly isn't as hard as I thought it would be. The main challenge for me is going to be the business travel thing. I travel a lot around Australia as part of my job, and mostly in rural areas with very limited food options. I have a trip in outback Western Australia next week which will be the real test - I am stocking up on my nuts and biltong and we shall see how it goes!

Congrats to all of those who have achieved such success so far!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #158
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Lagan View Post
This is definately something I want to commit to doing on a permanent basis and it certainly isn't as hard as I thought it would be. The main challenge for me is going to be the business travel thing. I travel a lot around Australia as part of my job, and mostly in rural areas with very limited food options. I have a trip in outback Western Australia next week which will be the real test - I am stocking up on my nuts and biltong and we shall see how it goes!

Congrats to all of those who have achieved such success so far!

Um, what the heck is a BILTONG

Yesterday was great, just the oatmeal in the morning, stayed zoned/sugar free the rest of the day.

Today has not been anywhere near zoned, but was grain free. Ate too many nuts....like maybe a whole can plus some. Yummy. There was an awards ceremony for which food was brought in, and I was happily surprised that, generally speaking, it was basically paleo! Chicken wings, meatballs, and delicious fruit and veggie trays. I also had a small white chocolate mocha, first one in like 3 months.

Oh, funny story - so on the way to the awards ceremony we stopped at the exchange to stock up on nuts. I thought "maybe I'll have a cinnabon since I've been eating so good for the past few days and lifted so heavy last night." Then I smartly changed my mind and started munching on the nuts instead. So, we get to the awards ceremony, and as soon as I walk in the building, there were a dozen fresh cinnabons sitting right on the counter. I walked away from them.

Best wishes to everyone with the upcoming weekend!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #159
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

It's been 2 weeks no sugar/ no grains. I NEVER thought I could do it and I have. The last two days have been really hectic at work and I know I haven't been eating enough(drop in energy in pm and workouts have tanked), but I'm cooking up some food for the rest of the week tonight.

I was going to get on the scale to see where I am, but I'm so afraid if it's a number I don't like, I might freak out! So, my pant fit well, I feel good so I'm going with that.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #160
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Everyone seems to be doing really well! Keep it up!

I've been pretty good. Today was hilarious. I'll call it the Great Chicken Wing Caper. It concluded with my huddled guiltily in bed gnawing on buffalo wings doused in Frank's. Hilarious. I don't know where the cravings came from, but it was an insane bodily wail for buffalo wings.

As I mentioned in another thread, it was only after eating most of them that I discovered that they are actually fried in soybean oil, which prompted me to start thinking about cooking them myself.

At any rate, no grains/sugars, just an a**-ton of chicken wings. Poor little guys. There must have been like five chickens in there.

Keep up the good work, everyone!