CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #141
Jill Kroos

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
Still ODing on chocolate and nut butter.

I love some apple with almond butter! I'm trying to develop a taste for super dark chocolate.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #142
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Kroos View Post
I love some apple with almond butter! I'm trying to develop a taste for super dark chocolate.
After quitting sugar for some time -- you grow an appreciation for more bitter-tasting things. IE dark chocolate. Try to not become too addicted ... like myself

I love almond butter -- and I just tried cashew butter, DELISH.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #143
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Yeah, I totally LOVE dark chocolate now! If it's not 85% or higher it tastes sweet to me!

You'll grow to love it, even my hubby likes it now and he is a sweet-a-holic.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #144
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Hi Lauren - glad you had fun in N'awlins! Welcome back!

Claude - steak for breakfast!

I told the BF he REALLY needed to consider sending me some organic dark chocolate for V-day coming up......looking forward to that!

Otherwise, I am off to the gym soon, and have already decided my PWO snack, which will finish my day in a great ZONED manner. I had one ounce of oatmeal again for breakfast, otherwise sugar/almost grain free day! Wait, disclaimer - I am trying Muscle Milk out this week, for days when the DFAC doesn't offer a lot of good protein options. I was surprised that the carb/sugar content was actually quite low (compared to others). 8/2g respectively, for a 35g serving.

Until tomorrow.....
Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #145
Harley Jennings

Profile:

I use to fight with grains and sugars while I was home in the states when all of it was so available. After several deployments I have learned to cut all of them out. My problem now is balancing the nutrition and eating enough calories. Kind of the same problem, just the other side of the scale.

I am working on it and trying to find the answers to what is best here, I'll have to keep checking some of my threads!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #146
Christine Parry

Profile:

This has been going very well for me. I've cut out all grains, and the only sugar I have in a day is from a tablespoon or so of flavored coffee creamer in the morning (which I'm fine with and don't really plan on changing for a while... but at least it doesn't have any HFCS!).

What I was surprised by was how little I craved carbs. I guess I'll work in a cheat day pretty soon, but I'm amazed that I don't really want them that much (except right before I go to bed -- then it's a little harder).

Still no change on the scale though. (rrr.....)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #147
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Ok, it's day 14--
two weeks of paleo.
I've lost 2 pounds-- lots more to go.
energy level is not great, but I'm not craving carbs as I thought I would. and I'm not crashing at 3pm as I was before, so that's a plus!
Performance in gym is about the same.
I'm keeping track of diet online, and taking in around 40/30/30, although I'm trying to up the protein %. eating about 1500 cal a day. I think I need more veggies and less fruit.

I'm not sure what I expected, but I think I need to give it 6 weeks or so to make a fair assessment.
If anything, it's been good for me to have a reason to walk past the rows of candy and cakes that pollute my office every day.

Keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #148
Pete Mielo

Profile:

It's going good for me so far this week. I've been eating 3 block meals/snacks of meat, fruit, vegetables (including baby spinach), olive oil and nuts, almost exclusively from the "favorable" list.

I have, however, cheated a couple nights with the chocolate/coconut cookie squares my wife made last Saturday. Gotta' get rid of them, right?!

I've intentionally steered clear of the scale until this week until I start to see some changes in the mirror. I tend to get too wrapped around the scale.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #149
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Well, I'm heading out in a couple minutes for a couple beers with friends. This week has been good so far (I haven't actually consumed the beer yet, right?), and I'm finding it easier to get back into the swing of things after my vacations.

Hopefully posting here will keep me accountable and keep my brewskie drinking to a reasonable amount (I'll cap it at two IPAs for the night).

Good luck, everyone!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #150
Bob Guere

Profile:

**Testimonial by proxy**

I reconnected with a high school friend via Facebook, and the CF/nutrition Pandora's box was eventually wide open. I challenged her to give herself 30 days without eating any grain or sugar ( I thought she'd make it 2 weeks, which would be a good start to kicking the white crack ).

Well, today is day 30, and this chick has shed 14 lbs. She feels great, loves the foods she had to eat while doing this, and has a new found interest in fitness as well.

So, this challenge really goes beyond CF. Keep it up folks.