CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
Help! Can't do any compound lifts for 4-6 weeks!

Due to a rib injury, I can't do any compound lifts for 4-6 weeks.

I usually do strength training 4 times a week, mostly centred around squats & deadlifts. All I can do now for 4-6 weeks is walking on the treadmill (with incline) and maybe the elliptical trainer. I guess this will force me to improve my endurance (which sucks).

How often and what sort of progressive endurance training should I do? High Intensity Interval Training with incline on treadmill?? Long & Steady cardio?? How many times a week and how long should the sessions be??

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Re: Help! Can't do any compound lifts for 4-6 weeks!

http://crossfitendurance.com/2016/01...ort-intervals/ (WFS)

Crossfit Endurance has WODs, most at least contain some monostructural training.

can you use weighte back pack or farmers walks? that might make things a little more spicy.

Generally CF Endurance discourage from using treadmill, but aside from the time it takes to speed up, i don't see any issue. i generally do a 1k every day and a 3k when i feel i need a little more (with and without loaded backpack). interval stuff, i keep off the treadmill.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Om Puri

Profile:

Thanks, Kenneth. Unfortunately I can't do the WODs @ Crossfit Endurance as I can't do any burpees, OHS, etc. I will try and see if I can manage lunges, split squats, etc. But having injured myself in the past (rotator cuff), I've learned the hard way to not start doing exercises that may aggravate the injury and/or delay healing time. I think it's wise for me to not overdo it for 4-6 weeks and just let my body heal.

Treadmill with incline (and maybe elliptical, and stationary bike) is about all I can do for now.

From what I understand, it's good to do a mix of HIIT (10-20 mins) twice a week & also 2 long stead cardio sessions (45-60 min) a week. Is that correct??

My goal is to increase general endurance and cardio vascular fitness for the next 4-6 weeks.

Thx.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Can you row and use an AirDyne?

If you can row and use and AirDyne or Assault Bike, that is what I recommend. Both of those can absolutely kick your *** and will also give you a full body workout. I can give you a bunch of workouts for those machines which will seriously increase your fitness.

If you are really limited to walking (not running) or an elliptical, I'd say get used to walking on an incline and go for an extended period of time. Doubt it will get your heart rate up into the "speedwork" zone, at least for interval training, but over time on an incline you can probably get your heart rate up.

I'd stay away from the elliptical. It is a waste of time in my assessment. If you can't use an AirDyne, but can use a regular stationary bike, the regular stationary bike would be a great cardio tool.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Ben Kissam

Profile:

Second the airdyne. Get on that thing and hit intervals (timed, distance, etc.) 4x a week. Your engine will be there at the end of the 4-6 weeks.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Steven Thunander

Profile:

1. In this case don't be afraid to go to a globo and use the machines to bypass the issue, as your goal is to maintain muscle while not aggravating the injury. Obviously any sort of pec deck, lat pull down or chest press is out, and I would check with your doctor before doing leg press. While it is not ideal it is better than nothing.
2. You probably can still do air squats, lunges, and perhaps some core work. Again make sure you are clear to do this.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Om Puri

Profile:

Thanks, guys!
Unfortunately I can't do any rowing and I don't know what an Airdyne bike is.
I will do steep incline on treadmill. My endurance isn't great so I'm sure it will be enough of a challenge, at least for the first couple weeks...
I've injured my rotator cuff in the past and got back into barbell training before I was ready and then re-inured myself (took 6 bloody months to heal!!!) so I have learned my lesson and will not pick up a barbell before I'm good to go.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Popped a rib last year, myself. All I can say is to relax and let those 6 weeks come and go. Get outside, go hiking, ride your bike, take your dogs for a run. When you get in the gym, live on the GHD. I did a lot of sit-ups and hip and back extensions during that time. Work out any imbalances in your hips, too. I can't stress that one enough. This is the time to do the boring single leg suitcase deadlifts with 25 lbs. Make your glutes STRONG!! Lunge a lot, do some reverse hypers if you can, bridges, stability ball stuff, all the things that would help balance out your hips. See a professional if you think you need some guidance. It'll be money well spent.

I subluxed a rib last year and kept rushing to come back because "it felt okay". No, the capsule that the rib sits in is super fragile and it will come out if you rush back. Take those 6 weeks and don't do anything. Mine went from 6 to 12.