CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Re: ankle mobility help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Southworth View Post
I saw a chiro very briefly today. He believes I have an issue in my SI joint and that I have some sort of nerve entrapment kind of thing where the nerves/muscles responsible for keeping my heels down are getting cut off.

He recommended glute activation exercises, lax ball work in my glutes, and squatting with my back against a wall, going down as far as I can without my heels coming up, and repeating this several times. He described it sort of as, the point in my squat where my heels come up is the point where my nerves are getting cut off and I'm losing the ability to keep my heels down.

I'd really like to hear what your thoughts are on this. I really have a hard time believing this. Mostly because deadlift is my best exercise, my butt got way bigger after deadlifting for a year or so, and I even included glute bridges with a heavy barbell on my lap into my workout for awhile.

Also, if my problem is my nerves are getting cut off during my squat, wouldn't that mean that in a standing position my nerves aren't cut off and I should have full ankle ROM? but i definitely don't

I'll see him again on tuesday and I will try and find a way to get him to work more on my ankles without being completely dismissive of his previous ideas
SI joint dysfunction can refer pain to the posterior thigh, low back, or buttock, but it is not usually implicated in nerve entrapment. This is because there is a negligible amount of movement at the SI joint. Furthermore, a nerve impingement would result in weakness, numbness, and/or tingling, and you don't seem to have these issues.

Without examining you, it's hard to say for sure what the issue is. Typically a loss of ankle dorsiflexion is due to a loss of soft tissue extensibility (capsule, ligaments, muscle) and joint dysfunction (altered mechanics).

There could also be some issues higher up the chain, included stiff gastrocs and hip musculature.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Good videos. Bad squat.

You have a major motor control fault before we worry about mobility. If your have "Becoming a Supple Leopard" see page 82 for Air Squats.

You are driving your knees forward instead of sending your hamstrings back and down.

A great drill to fix this is go to Home Depot and get two scrap pieces of 2 x 6 about 2' long (will be near the saw where they cut wood for customers). Balance the boards vertically about 1" in front of your toes in your squat stance. Your mission is to learn to squat, while keeping tight back position, to full depth, without knocking over the boards.

I my guess is your ankles may not be great, but have enough range of motion to squat once you learn how to squat correctly.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Very good points. If you are not in pain, definitely gonna be cheaper to get some squat coaching first.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Ryan Wooley

Profile:

From your videos, you seem to be lacking a little ROM in ankle dorsiflexion, but it is not something that should hold you back from squatting. I don't have much better dorsiflexion and I can squat and keep my heels down just fine. I think your issues could be resolved with just some good coaching and cueing.

Have you tried cuing yourself to 1) lift up your big toe and 2) sit back into the squat while shoving your knees out?

The 2x4 drill mentioned above or squatting while facing a wall may also be very useful drills.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Kurt Southworth

Profile:

I'm gonna spend the next week really working on my hip hinge. I currently have a hard time starting my squat by getting my hips back.

One thing that will be a problem regardless of my hip hinge and my motor controls though is still my ankle eversion. I have no problem driving my knees out as I get my hips back, but when I do drive my knees out, even a little bit, I end up on the outside of my feet and I have no balance...

I'll post more videos next week after I improve my hip hinge and my squat form. And I'll also try and get a better video up of what is happening with my ankles so you can see it.

Thanks for all the help guys. You'll hear from me soon
Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yeah, just from a video and as a layman, I feel like 90% of the issues is just mechanics. Just standing here, if I try to start a squat the same way you look to be doing it, the "easiest" way to get down is something like you are showing.

I think part of the problem is you are trying to stay too vertical. Verticality is good in general and specifically important for some CF-related squatting moves, but it is secondary to proper mechanics for knee and back health as well as where your weight balances on your foot. It is not a bad thing to be a little off of vertical if it means these other things are correct.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Ben H Young

Profile:

Try the rebuilding the feet series...especially this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8uxhXhozY

You might also try some minimalist shoes.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Zach Long

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Southworth View Post
I saw a chiro very briefly today. He believes I have an issue in my SI joint and that I have some sort of nerve entrapment kind of thing where the nerves/muscles responsible for keeping my heels down are getting cut off.

He recommended glute activation exercises, lax ball work in my glutes, and squatting with my back against a wall, going down as far as I can without my heels coming up, and repeating this several times. He described it sort of as, the point in my squat where my heels come up is the point where my nerves are getting cut off and I'm losing the ability to keep my heels down.

I'd really like to hear what your thoughts are on this. I really have a hard time believing this. Mostly because deadlift is my best exercise, my butt got way bigger after deadlifting for a year or so, and I even included glute bridges with a heavy barbell on my lap into my workout for awhile.

Also, if my problem is my nerves are getting cut off during my squat, wouldn't that mean that in a standing position my nerves aren't cut off and I should have full ankle ROM? but i definitely don't

I'll see him again on tuesday and I will try and find a way to get him to work more on my ankles without being completely dismissive of his previous ideas
Unless he said the two were separate...SI joint problems typically don't affect things further down than the knee

Some moblity and more importantly motor control issues at play with your squat. Find a good trainer to help you out here. Maybe someone trained in the Functional Movement Screen or PT/Chiro/Doc trained in Selective Functional Movement Assessment would be a good resource for you
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 AM   #19
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Im borrowing this thread for my own question, hope the OP wont mind.

I have a rather solid ankle mobility when moving it forwards and I can do a nice squat with a slight angle on my feet (fingers out). But I have a horrible lateral mobility, almost unable to move in left-right, its like a fixed joint, not a joint. Even if I hold the ankle in my hand I cant move it left-right.

Are there special exercises I could do to improve that, as this also prevents me from doing a nice pistols.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #20
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Im borrowing this thread for my own question, hope the OP wont mind.

I have a rather solid ankle mobility when moving it forwards and I can do a nice squat with a slight angle on my feet (fingers out). But I have a horrible lateral mobility, almost unable to move in left-right, its like a fixed joint, not a joint. Even if I hold the ankle in my hand I cant move it left-right.

Are there special exercises I could do to improve that, as this also prevents me from doing a nice pistols.
Do you have a history of ankle injuries? If so a physical therapist can often help.