CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Tye Sydnor

Profile:
Increasing the volume of your workout.

So I'm trying to figure out if I'm ready to increase my workouts from 1 to 2 a day. I currently am doing 5 days from 6am-7am. My issue is over the last 2-3 weeks around 5pm I'm ready to go at another #WOD. My recovery isn't 100 percent by 5pm but I want to at least work on my lifts and some of the technical movements. Is my body telling me that it may be time to start 2 workouts a day? What are some of the other signs. Is it safe to do workouts outside of your coaches programming?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Cody Reis

Profile:
Re: Increasing the volume of your workout.

I'd start with trying to increase the intensity of your one workout first. You may feel fairly recovered but it's down time when your body actually repairs and makes progress. If you end up hitting the same areas too close together you aren't really going to make gains. If it's just metcons sure, but it sounds like you're doing strength work too and you need some time to recover/rest.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

As far as body composition and technical proficiency with lifts; I saw my greatest and fastest improvements when I started working out 2x a day - and the 2nd workout was really just practicing Oly lifts with an empty barbell, mobility work, and bodyweight stuff.

I lift for approx. an hour in the morning, then just 30 min or so when I got home from work.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye Sydnor View Post
So I'm trying to figure out if I'm ready to increase my workouts from 1 to 2 a day. I currently am doing 5 days from 6am-7am. My issue is over the last 2-3 weeks around 5pm I'm ready to go at another #WOD. My recovery isn't 100 percent by 5pm but I want to at least work on my lifts and some of the technical movements. Is my body telling me that it may be time to start 2 workouts a day? What are some of the other signs. Is it safe to do workouts outside of your coaches programming?
When you say "your coach," do you mean just the owner of the affiliate you go to? Or somebody that actually programs for your goals?

Feeling generally recovered doesn't mean you need to do another workout necessarily. As Cody says, recovery is when your body actually makes improvements. Beating yourself down all the time takes away that recovery. This is not to say that doing doubles is a bad idea if they are intelligently programmed. Just that the goal shouldn't be to feel tired all the time.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I might be wrong here, but it also depends on the lenght of the workout(s). If one is doing 1h+ in the morning he will have a hard time putting in another intense workout in the afternoon. But if the morning one is ~30mins, surely another 30mins can be done later, right?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I might be wrong here, but it also depends on the lenght of the workout(s). If one is doing 1h+ in the morning he will have a hard time putting in another intense workout in the afternoon. But if the morning one is ~30mins, surely another 30mins can be done later, right?
Depends what the workout is... length isn't the only consideration in programming.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
David Finney

Profile:

I say go for it. We can all speculate about the volume/intensity of what you're doing now, but only YOU know what you're capable of. Personally, I don't attend a Crossfit gym because I like and can handle higher volume than a 1 hour class. If you're not a pro athlete who depends on your performance for income, then I say "let it rip." Try experimenting with different volume/intensities and see what happens.

But you need to watch your body as your increasing your volume. You will have to eat more, and you will have to sleep more. One of the best indicators of over-training (or under-resting), is an elevated resting heart rate. If you can remember, take your heart rate every morning before you get out of bed. Then write it down in a notebook. If after a few weeks you see that heart rate increasing, then you're either training too much or not resting enough. If you can't get more sleep/rest, dial back the volume.

Are you training for a particular event? If so, read about periodization and "peaking" for a that event. If not, then just make sure you're programming some rest for your self. With all the being said, becoming "over-trained" sucks, and it can take some time to come back from. I grossly overtrained while in college and felt sick for a month, and then when I finally recovered, I had more ground to make up. So keep close tabs on your body, and have fun.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

What are your goals, Tye? If it's just technical work and mobility you can almost certainly handle the volume, but don't add a second session just because you feel mostly recovered. A second session should be targeted to get you to your particular goals and not just more stuff.