CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
8/6/3 variation of 5/3/1

found this http://www.t-nation.com/training/8-6...e-and-strength (WFS)

made the attached spreadsheet (for fun), thought i'd share it.

haven't tried it yet, but i'm familiar with 5/3/1 and 5x5 so i'm guessing it'll be similar but with a little more 'endurance', i'm guessing it would help given the high rep frequency you get in CrossFit?
Attached Files
File Type: email 8-6-3 workout.xls (22.5 KB, 1012 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 8/6/3 variation of 5/3/1

I wouldn't really say endurance just because the reps goals increased a tad. It's still a strength program.

I think it would be a good change of pace if you've been doing 5/3/1 for a while, but I don't think is really a better fit for Crossfit since you figure you hit higher rep ranges with Metcons, you probably need the lower rep work to build your strength base.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

More suited for developing swole than strength compared to the actual 5/3/1. Especially when you consider that you aim for a "+" set each time. That means your "8+" set could be more like a 12-rep set. I mean hell, my 5+ sets got to that stage when I was doing a 2-day 5/3/1.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Sticking to the original would probably be better, though staying a little farther from maximal weight might be good for more novice or older trainees.

For a young CFer worried about muscle endurance I'd just get that done with assistance work. Wendler has several templates where you work higher rep versions of the lifts after the 5/3/1. That way you build both maximal strength and strength endurance. In my experience higher rep sets (8-20 reps) that aren't part of a metcon build muscle strength-endurance better than metcons.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Michael Steiger

Profile:

I think each person needs to learn what works for their body type and their training goals. I have been using 5/3/1 for over two years and have seen very good results. I have incorporated crossfit metacons into my training for the last year and a half with good results.

I read the article on 8/6/3 and immediately knew it was for me. I am completely loving this set up so far and I will probably end up rotating 8/6/3 months with 5/3/1 months. For me 5/3/1 has not helped my bench numbers but has done great things for my deadlift, squat, and press. I always did better on bench with 5x5. I am hoping 8/6/3 jump starts some gains in the bench.

My only problem with 8/6/3 is that it goes again Dave's main rule...don't mess with changing the program.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

I should clarify about that; a big thing for me is "don't change the program . . . at first". There are a lot of people who want to jump right into the water with a Starting Strength Outlaw Mainpage Pilates Taebo hybrid of their own creation and when they do . . . their results suck. I say give programs as written an honest shot before you start tinkering.

Michael, you've been using 5/3/1 for quite a long time so I'll be happy to give you my official blessing for trying this 8/6/3 variation. Maybe it will be a better fit for you. Heck, maybe it will be a better fit for most people. But even this article starts off by saying "Be sure to use Wendler's 5/3/1 as written for at least a few cycles before playing with any program tweaks."
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Dan Douglas

Profile:

If the last set is a "+" set, I am not sure what the big difference is. It has more reps in the first two sets, but the work set is still as many as possible. You just start with lower weight.

Maybe I am missing something.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

He lost me when he kept saying that he trained athletes and they needed to get stronger...therefore he switch them from a powerlifting program to 8/6/3.....

It probably works. Like Pearse said a little more mass oriented. But honestly I think it's just some guy trying to hawk a good program off as his own. I'll stick with the original.