CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
Re: Another Guy Programming on His Own (5/3/1 & CFE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
You should be groovy then.

Just a few thoughts/recaps, really no value other than pointing out what comes to mind reading your posts:

Reading the way you talk about your goals, and considering what your goals are, your programming should be pretty straight forward: Strength program with running maintenance. Your stated goals: 1000 CFT, 'respectable half marathon times'. One is very specific, one is very vague, that mentality, combined with the way you talk about the two suggests that one is more important than the other.

Luckily, your goals are very reasonable, and your focus between both seems appropriately balanced according to the demand of each goal. Hitting 1000CFT from an 800 is a big gain, and a 1000CFT is fairly challenging in itself for a guy your size, so it needs a lot of attention. On the other hand, 'respectable half marathon times' can vary, and a guy your size and experience level should be able to handle a 2-2.5hr half marathon, fairly respectable times, with very little maintenance running.

Contrarily though, I generally subscribe to traditional 'ramp & taper' running programs for races. 3hrs per week is fine for maintenance (~15-25mi/wk), but it won't be enough time when you get into the program and peak out at 40-45mi/wk. I don't usually end up doing much strength during peak running weeks either, it's just too much time and too much volume.

As we've bounced around already, just keep an eye on your oly lifting volume and intensity to make sure you're not beating dead muscles you killed a day or two prior with your 5/3/1. Vice Versa don't fatigue your muscles with Oly work the day before a big lift day (I never clean the day before I deadlift heavy = fresh back).

For what it's worth, I've been on a different co-programmed routines for a long time. My 'sports' for the last decade: wrestling, fighting, and bull riding, demand a blend of endurance and power. I've seen the good the bad and the ugly for co-programs. There's more than one way to skin a cat, just keep 2 things in mind: 1) It's really easy to overdo the volume, and really easy to counter-train if you're not careful. 2) A master of all is a master of none. Be realistic about fitting your goals together, then keep your programming in lock-step with your goals at all times.

Programming strength and endurance together really isn't as hard as some people on here want to make it seem.
First, much respect to any Cowboy that rides competitively.

In regards to respectable Half times My average is 1:55. I would like to get to a 1:30 if possible but as you pointed out strength is where my concern lies. To be honest it is hard for me to narrow down those goals. I guess I need to redesign that approach or go to a goal making class.

A post I posted a while back showed my CrossFit skills goals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Atkinson View Post
CrossFit Goals as of 20 October 2013

All goals are based off of the Athletic Skills levels found at CrossFit Seattle Athletic Skill Levels.

I essentially went through the Skills Chart and highlighted the skills that I have accomplished and crossed them off the list. I then identified those that I have never tried and the skill next in line of accomplishment based on the skill level. I than took that skill and added it to the list in a date range that I believe I can accomplish that skill goal in.

Most of the 30 day goals are those that I believe I can do yet have never tested. The 30-60 day list are those skills that I have been sporadically working on yet believe if I concentrate my efforts I can complete in that timeframe. This concept continues as the days increase.

As I accomplish these goals I will strike them off the list than identify the next skill in line and place that in the list under the appropriate timeframe of what I believe I can do. Essentially the 30 day list will dwindle in size with very little being added to that timeframe in the future.

Next 30 Days
• 30 Sec Static Hang (Done)
• 30 V-Ups (Done)
• 24kg KB Snatch x30 Each Arm
• Clean Bodyweight (180) (Done)
• Hang Knees to Elbows x15 Unbroken (Done)
• 500m Row in 1:45
• 10 inch Vertical Jump

Next 30-60 Days
• Pistols x10 Each Leg (Done)
• 400m Run 1:19
• Thrusters 45 reps @ 1/2 Bodyweight (90)
• Dips x20
• L-Sit 10secs
• Snatch 1/2 Bodyweight

Next 90 Days
• Handstand Hold x1 Minute (Unassisted)
• 2000m Row 8:10

Next 90-365 Days
• 1 Mile Run 6:00
• 40 Ring Push-Ups
• Deadlift 2 1/2 Bodyweight (45)
• OHS Bodyweight (180)
• 20 Kipping Pull-Ups
• 1x Strict Muscle-Up
These were just skill based goals. I concentrate on running because I know it is something I HAVE to do. I am not getting any younger and I need to keep up with my Soldiers. If I had to narrow running goals down I would say a 13:00 2 Mile and a 21:00 5k would be number specific goals.

In regards to specific strength goals subtracting the want of getting back to a 1000 CFT, I'd have to say I am rather happy at my strength level with the bodyweight (180) I am at with the big 3 lifts. However, I am not happy with my knowledge or lifting capacity of Oly.

Finally I appreciate all the input. It is helping me see this in a bigger picture. I will be sure to adhere to this advice right here:

Quote:
As we've bounced around already, just keep an eye on your oly lifting volume and intensity to make sure you're not beating dead muscles you killed a day or two prior with your 5/3/1. Vice Versa don't fatigue your muscles with Oly work the day before a big lift day (I never clean the day before I deadlift heavy = fresh back).
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Another Guy Programming on His Own (5/3/1 & CFE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Rode, ride, still kicking while I can, just not winning nearly as much as I used to. Added bareback's in there over the years off and on too, but couldn't handle THAT many animals in a year (used to get on over 400 practice bulls a year). Used to team rope, haven't roped USTRC in a LONG time, since before they went and jacked up everybody's numbers. Probably wouldn't have so many creaks and groans I'd have stuck with roping instead of riding, but I figure I can always go back to roping, riding's a young man's game.

And no, lol, I'm not Top 45 in the PBR. I always favor PRCA rodeos over PBR or CBR bull ridings, so I've been ranked highest on that side, but I've made good money at PBR's. Just hard to justify buying plane tickets if you don't have sponsors paying for it, and I never went to enough of the televised events to get national sponsors.
I hear ya. I would bet we would get along pretty well in real life.

USTRC.... lmfao, remember that deal well and agree. I understand the point, but blah.