CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Shane Atkinson

Profile:
Re: Any runners out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McKee View Post
I have done a quite a few 5k and was in training for a half when I took the elements program for learning crossfit. I tried to continue running where I was, but it didnt feel good. My legs were too tired after lifting the night before and my knee started bothering me. Ive taken some time off of running and have just been CFing, but I miss running so much I need to find that in balance between the 2!
What did your routine look like when you combined CF with running prior to feeling yourself hurting.

Are you looking to stay at the 5k distance or do you want longer distance races?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Weyer View Post
Shane, that was Monumental in Indianapolis. Great race and town. My best race was actually a half marathon in Evansville, In. Ran a 1:31. At the time, I was averaging 70+ miles per week. Just got burned out and wasnt improving any more. Not to mention all the nagging injuries. I hope to get back close to that with alot less miles.
Great time on that Half. 70 miles is a lot, I have never hit that many miles. Although I aimed to for a while but glad I found CFE.

Are you using CFE to train for that 50k?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Rory McKee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane Atkinson
What did your routine look like when you combined CF with running prior to feeling yourself hurting.

Are you looking to stay at the 5k distance or do you want longer distance races?
I had a base of running four times a week already and was doing a 3m easy Mon, off Tues, 4M Tempo or endurance speed Wed, 2m easy Thurs, off Fri, then a Long run of 6 or 7 Sat on my way building up to 12 or 13 for a long run.
I took the week off of running during the elements class and ran the same the week after cutting my long run back to 5 and was doing body weight met cons of my off running days because I didnt have any equipment at the time.
All the way through running my legs felt like dead weight and my right knee would kinda buzz at me after the first mile and get worse the longer Id go. I figured Id take some time off and took a week off of everything then tried running again and it had subsided but came back after the third run

So I guess in summary
Mon Run Tues BW MetCon Wed Running workout Thurs Run Friday BW MetCon Sat Long Run and Sun off
Would Like to go to Half Marathon distance
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
Clint Weyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Atkinson View Post
Great time on that Half. 70 miles is a lot, I have never hit that many miles. Although I aimed to for a while but glad I found CFE.

Are you using CFE to train for that 50k?
Not really. Crossfitting 4-6 week with 2 long runs.(1.5-2.5 hrs)
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Harrison Holtz

Profile:

Used to focus solely on running, ran 15:38 for 5k a few years ago. For me, once I started doing crossfit, i started doing shorter interval work on the track since it's more congruent with crossfit. So doing crossfit mon-tues, medium effort tempo run wed, crossfit thurs-sat, and a hard track workout Sunday got me down to 2:04 for 800 meters, but I sort of have up any fast 5k thoughts.