CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Erin Hightower

Profile:
I couldn't find a thread on training books yet

I'm starting to put together a personal library one book at a time and wondered what books people have borrowed/ bought and thought highly of.

(note: I did buy Supple Leopard.... love it... worth the money)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Erin Hightower

Profile:
Re: I couldn't find a thread on training books yet

Books that I am considering:

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches

Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training

Breaking Parallel: A Guide to CrossFit Gymnastics and Body Movement

Progress [Kindle Edition] by Chris Moore

The Westside Barbell Book of Methods, Louie Simmons

The Poliquin Principles: Successful Methods for Strength and Mass Development - Charles Poliquin

Lore of Running - Timothy Noakes

Healthy Intelligent Training: The Proven Principles of Arthur Lydiard - Keith Livingston

Ultimate MMA Conditioning - Joel Jamieson

Supertraining - Mel Siff

Last edited by Erin Hightower : 07-31-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Rob Brown

Profile:

'Starting Strength', 3rd edition by Mark Rippetoe

Starting Strength is one of the key books to have. It has helped me a ton! It goes through lifts in detail and give fairly deep reasons why each moment in the lift is the way it is. I would put it in the must have list..

I also got the ' The Westside Barbell Book of Methods by Louie Simmons (2008) ', it is decent, a tad anecdotal, and probably outside my need range right now. This one is in the fun to have list.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'm a big Westside Fan and enjoy his Squat/Deadlift and Bench Manual and feel they are a better first read before getting The Book of Methods.

You should get one of the 5/3/1 Wendler books. He just makes stuff simple and to the point.

Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik is essential.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
Supertraining - Mel Siff
Just remember that many of those you listed, they all kind of have the same info said differently as found in this one. This is kind of the bible imho. It reads a little higher in content, so you may want to work your way up to it, but it is and always has been the bible to me and the coaches I have studied under.

Some others you may want to look into....

FIT
Olympic Weightlifting for Sports
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

Encyclopaedia of weightlifting - Artie Dreschler
Science and practice of strength training - Zatiorsky and Kraemer
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky

The Ultimate Guide to HRV Training by Joel Jamieson

The Reactive Training Systems Manual by Mike Tuscherer

Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe et al

Brawn by Stuart McRoberts

The Insider's Tell-All Handbook On Weight-Training Technique by Stuart McRoberts

The Black Book of Training Secrets by Christian Thibaudeau

Runner's World The Runner's Body by Ross Tucker et al

Power to the People Professional by Pavel Tsatsouline

Strength Training Anatomy & Strength Training Workout by Frederick Delavier

Note: You should by the books that are more for lay readers first, before you delve into the more complicated ones like 'Lore of Running' or 'Supertraining'.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
Books that I am considering:

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches

Awesome book. DVD is pretty good too. But this book is probably my favorite on this list. Incredibly in depth and well written. Just buy it.

Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training

Pretty good. Depends on your interests. I don't really like Brian MacKenzie. I think Bryan MacKenzie loves Brian MacKenzie enough for all of us. It is a great overview on skills for endurance sports and has some good programs in the back. I have been reading more and more criticisms of CrossFit Endurance and hearing more about his lack of actual results in his programs lately. But as far as the skills go, I think it's good.

Breaking Parallel: A Guide to CrossFit Gymnastics and Body Movement

Haven't read it yet.

Progress [Kindle Edition] by Chris Moore

Eh. If you listen to their podcast, which I do, you'll know Chris Moore seems to wax poetic about every single thing anyone ever mentions. This books is just that in written form. I got about 1/3 of the way through and stopped. If you've ever read "Never Let Go" by Dan John, it's kind of like that but not as good. I really enjoyed "Never Let Go" btw. And for the record, I love Barbell Shrugged as a podcast, but Chris always seems to think he is the best guest they've ever had.

The Westside Barbell Book of Methods, Louie Simmons

Very interesting, but very difficult to read for me. I think there are a ton of Westside summaries and articles online that are probably enough for most people to get a decent grasp on the system. As another poster mentioned, the Deadlift/Squat and Bench Press manuals are easier to read.

The Poliquin Principles: Successful Methods for Strength and Mass Development - Charles Poliquin

I really, really enjoyed this book. It is pretty concise and easy to read and understand. It is very bodybuilding specific, however. The ideas theories do translate and I think its absolutely worth the $15 or whatever it is.

Lore of Running - Timothy Noakes

Haven't read it.

Healthy Intelligent Training: The Proven Principles of Arthur Lydiard - Keith Livingston

Haven't read it.

Ultimate MMA Conditioning - Joel Jamieson

Haven't read it.

Supertraining - Mel Siff

Haven't read it.
Other books that I have that I really like, in no particular order are:

Kettlebell RX by Jeff Martone- Great introduction and deeper level instruction on Kettlebells. More than any CrossFit coach will ever need in regards to KB, IMHO.

Anatomy Without a Scalpel- Great handbook and introduction to anatomy. Written from a coaching perspective, which helps a lot.

Starting Strength- Rippetoe is a Low Bar Back Squat guy, so that part isn't all that useful for me, but it's a great book to introduce Squats, Deadlifts and Pressing, as well as some basic programming. Very in-depth with great diagrams, etc.

5/3/1- Great, basic program for strength. When I say basic, it's very basic, but it works. I seem to recall him saying something in the book like, "you're going to think there is more to this, but there isn't, so leave it alone." And he is right. I read it and wondered where the other part was, but there isn't any need if you use it for it's intention. I think it's a great starting block and great program for most athletes. I think a lot of people want to get crazy with waves and different periodization schemes, but most people can't even stick to a short program like this for a month.

Never Let Go- Not really an instructional book, but a "Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning". It's great casual reading and he makes a lot of great points.

Movement by Gray Cook- Just started it, but very good so far. Lots of resources and videos online to go along with it. Very highly regarded amongst coaches and physical therapists.

10 Minute Toughness- Great book on mental training. If you have competitive athletes or want to use this for yourself, it's a good, short and easy read with lots of drills.

Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning- Book used for the NSCA CSCS certification. Lots of old school and traditional training ideas in there, but it's a good resource.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Steven Wingo

Profile:

It is not a book, technically, but don't forget the Level 1 Trainer's Guide--awesome info packed into about 115 pages of text and photos and all directly on point with Crossfit:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/05/...ning-guide.tpl

I think every Crossfit athlete should read it. If you read the Crossfit Journal and watch the videos, they are a great source of info. Most of it is high quality.

In terms of the books you have listed, The Lore of Running is hard to beat for everything you would ever want to know about running and exercise physiology. It is of course a damn encyclopedia, however, with a lot of demanding science in it so it is not something you would leisurely read on a day off from work or over a long weekend.

A running book, if you are interested in others, is Daniel's Running Formula. Jack Daniel's wrote Oxygen Power as an academic work and summarizes everything in Daniel's Running Formula along with providing practical programs to utilize his work in formulating "VDOT". He provides excellent info on pacing for different workouts based upon race times.

I'd also ad in a few books on nutrition--the foundation is nutrition so don't leave it out. The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain is where I would start. The Zone books (lots of them) by Barry Sears would also be good. In addition to the Paleo and Zone books take a look at the nutrition books by Gary Taubes--excellent stuff. I'm also a fan of Mark Sisson's books--the Primal Blueprint author. He advocates lots of ideas similar to Crossfit in terms of both exercise and nutrition.

Let me know if you want more running book or nutrition book recommendations. I've read way too many.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Rafe Grigar

Profile:

These two books changed the way I thought about training.

Despite being published by Men's Health, Robert Remedios is the man.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Power-T...obert+remedios