CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Erin Hightower

Profile:
Re: Programming two a days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I would look into GymnasticsWOD for gymnastics assistance to your CrossFitting. Movement and progressions, less focus on gymnasticky metcons like Tuck's which is more of a hybrid standalone CF/Gymnastics Program.

For Olympic Lifting, I'd probably gank the daily lifting program from Outlaw so as to keep it light in volume versus doing a standalone lifting program.

I already have my weightlifting program picked out (lift big eat big) and gymnastics I was going to feather together Gymnasticswods and al kavaldo's bodyweight programming and now with this talk some metcons
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i would look to cluster workouts to make sure you get enough rest
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Erin Hightower

Profile:

[What do you mean by clustering workouts?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
Matthew Rowzee

Profile:

Good luck on your two a day journey.

I've been doing three, two days plus one day of just conditioning for four months now. If you do a strength, as I am doing, make sure you do that first.

The stress is really intense, if you feel like you need an additional rest day then take a rest day. I've had to plan out a "deloading" week every two months to give my body a chance to fully recover.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Clustering means basically doing it connected or back to back. Maybe with a bit of rest.

For example, it might go something like this:

Olympic Lifting

Strength work

then Metcon

then GymnasticsWOD

endurance run/CFE stuff.

Or just 2 or 3 modalities.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
Alex Novak

Profile:

How should i start doing two a days? Should i first time just do wamr up, next time just something light etc. or i shoould do workout just first time?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Alex - you might consider starting your own thread on this to be couteous and not hijack somebody else's.

You might start such a thread with where you are and what your goals are if you want any kind of personalized advice.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
[What do you mean by clustering workouts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Clustering means basically doing it connected or back to back. Maybe with a bit of rest.

For example, it might go something like this:

Olympic Lifting

Strength work

then Metcon

then GymnasticsWOD

endurance run/CFE stuff.

Or just 2 or 3 modalities.
that is not a bad way to workout but that is not what i meant...

i will explain it maybe longer than needed but to be sure it makes sense, plus it may also help some of the other posters above that are doing two a days or thining of starting especially since matthew said he struggle with recovery...

for the purpose of this explanation to keep it simple let's assume all workouts will occur at either 6am or 6pm...

we will start with a person that was working out 4 days a week and decides to bump it up to 6 days a week. one option would be to workout everyday at the same time, let's say each morning. in doing that you would have 24 hours between workouts and sleep once between each workout. if you took sunday off then you would have 48 hours between sat morning and monday morning with two sleep periods. another option for this person would be to cluster the workouts, so that you workout monday night, tuesday morning, wed night, thur morning, fri night, sat morning. by doing it this way, you still workout the same six days and take sunday off. you still get a sleep period between each workout. but by doing it this way, you get 36 hours of rest from tues morning to wed night, from thur morning to fri night, and a full 60 hours from sat morning to mon night. for many people this helps them recover much better.

now lets take this same person once they are use to 6 days a week and they decide to add in some two-a-days 2 or 3 days a week, we will say 3. person one that is working out every morning simply adds in another workout in the evening a few days a week, let's say mon-wed-fri, so that they never have more than 24 hours for recovery and less several times, except for the 48 hours between sat morning and monday morning. person 2 however can still cluster something like mon night, tues morn, tues night, thurs morning, thurs night, fri morning, sat morn, sat night. so that they still get 36 hour rest mid week, 24 hours between fri and sat, and a full 48 between sat an monday. they wound up with one less workout in this example but it is just an example. obviously the times, days, rest, etc can all be tinkered with.

the point is that this can offer a way to fit in more work in a week and still maximize rest. additionally, it works well for a lot of people because it allows for flexability in schedule from week to week and day to day. it also allows a person to adjust based on how they are feeling. i have found this to help many people with much needed recovery and still be able to get fit in more work. often times with this schedule they can actually get more work and still recover better than by working out on a set daily schedule.

it is just an idea. too many people get locked into rigid schedules and they plan the perfect plan but they don't think outside the box and they just start with thinking you have to workout the same time everyday or that you can never miss a morning or evening or whatever.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Melissa Stern

Profile:

i just started doing two a day three times a week.. well i have done it three times this week (sunday, tuesday, thursday)

i workout back to back in the morning on these days when theres a WOD 6-7 and then 7-8am there's workout that's like a wod but instead for time you do a variety of movements for the full hour (lean & mean). Needless to say i am exhausted after the works outs (and at halfway through hour two) but it feels great. in between these days i have been hiking, biking, or working out lightly at the gym in my office.

Hopefully i can keep this up and not hurt myself! Hopefully you can do it to!!! (and i just started crossfit two weeks an a few days ago!)