CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Erin Hightower

Profile:
Programming two a days

Hi all,

I'm a home cross-fitter.
I am considering going up to two workouts a day a couple (only 1 to 3) times a week only on the days where I feel good.

Given that, when you program two a days, how do you program them to not injure yourself and to work on things that don't counter-act each other (like a push with a pull)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: Programming two a days

I used to make a chart; I would list a bunch of movements I wanted to accomplish. Then I would pick 2-3 of those and assemble a workout that would work towards achieving a goal or meeting a specific time domain. I would try to keep the majority of multi-days on the shorter side (less than 12 minutes).

It wasn't really the muscles that got beat-up (unless I was doing a lot of abdominal movements; sit-ups, GHD, TTB, KTE, ect). It was my hands. KB Swings, pull-up bar movements and the weightlifting movements (oly lifts, I hate that word) would all tear up different sections of my hands if I didn't take care of them.

Anyway, something may look like: I still wanted to perform HSPU, Double Unders, Wall Balls, Ring Dips, Power Cleans, Box Jumps, Walking Lunge Steps for the week.

One MetCon may be 3 RFT: 10 HSPU, 20 Box Jumps, 30 Wall Ball. Rest for the amount of time it took me to complete that one and then do AMRAP/10: 5 Power Cleans (heavy - at least 75% of 1RM), 10 strict Ring Dips, 25 walking lunge steps.

I didn't knock out double unders, but I can just move them to another day or warm-up with them the following day because I don't want to do box jumps and DU on the same day. My list would start off pretty large and I would mix and match while checking each one off the list.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Erin - kind of depends on what your goals are.

If you're looking to gain strength mostly and are beginner/intermediate level, you could do a couple of two-a-days a week as a seperate strength session and a MetCon. Don't want to do that too many times a week though, you want your body to recover for the more important weightlifting in that case.

If you're working on GPP, you just have to make sure you aren't overworking a single muscle group or metabolic pathway. Ideally you'd want two different things on a single day - a lifting workout and a bodyweight MetCon for example. You could do two different domain MetCons, but I would probably stay away from two heavy lifting workouts or two LSD workouts in one day for obvious reasons.

If you're going for CF-competition preparation, you could do whatever your standard one-a-day WOD would be, then a second session of something like gymnastics skillwork or Olympic weightlifting technique work wouldn't be stressful at all.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Adam Shreim

Profile:

As Jeff said, which I agree with, figure out your goals. I quickly shifted away from doing 2x MetCons and started doing strength session and then conditioning session. Some of things improved, some things declined. I was also able to complete some workouts I wasn't even close to touching because I was finally strong enough to complete them.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Erin Hightower

Profile:

My goals are a bit of "improve everything" but that's post-games talking there.

My strength is alright (not amazing) so I'm setting it aside for a good part of this year to focus on this stuff in order from what I am worst at to best at:

Endurance
Flexibility and Mobility
Running
Gymnastics (focusing on pullups, handstands, handstand pushups, and if I can afford rings soon ring work)
Squat bottom and squat quality
and then strength

My year is planned thus-ly:
From 4/8/2013 for 12 or so weeks of work I am doing crossfit endurance
Depending how I do in that testing (a 5k in July) I will either do a metcon/10k for endurance prepping (if I do poorly in the 5k) or gymnastics and metcons with some weightlifting (If I hit my goal on the 5k) That will be July through November. November through January I will be exceeding caloric intake and focusing on weight lifting in oly and power lifting, with a couple of metcons a week, and then after the first of the year returning to whatever endurance worked out better for me to clean up weight gains through the weight lifting until game next year where I'll re-test all facets of fitness.

So the big question mark on the two a days starts July and runs through until November on how I want to structure, and if I want to structure, two a days
Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

Give your body plenty of time to adjust to 2-a day workouts. Keep in mind you are changing from a 23- hour recovery period to a less than 8 hour recovery period. Your body will be saying, "WTF Dude, I just worked out."

Start with just one double a week. Don't expect too much from yourself the first time you try it. Make sure you eat lots of protein after the first workout, and then again an hour before the 2nd workout.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

As Jeff said, split modalities and don't repeat them even if they are heavy then light.

Quote:
Make sure you eat lots of protein after the first workout, and then again an hour before the 2nd workout.
It's not a bad idea but given that a dose of 30g of whey protein lasts 3 hours, it's not entirely necessary protein wise. However most people will end up getting hungry an hour or two later.

Erin, while rings are pricey, you can make a homemade set for really cheap.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Rick Schwing

Profile:

Im currently doing 2 a days twice a week. Cause of my work schedule. Since my box offers Str training before all metcons and wods in only back squat, front squat, deadlift, push press. I follow the same plan with bench press and power cleans on days I can two a day. Then after that, instead of anything intense, i will work on things im weak in. Double unders, Olympic lifts etc etc.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Erin Hightower

Profile:

response thought #1-
"ease into it so body doesn't got WTF Mate"

Pretty much why I'm doing CF-Endurance now. They have you doing 3 on 1 off with a Single, two a days, single, rest. Easing into this schedule (granted I'm only a week in) has been super easy and body responded surprisingly well to it.

Response thought #2-
"split modality and repeat nothing between the two workouts"

That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking to find!!! Easy ways for me to find a process to sneak stuff in that will work no matter my wod is. I figured, looking at that, maybe pairing a wod (mainsite or CF-FB or I love invictus' stuff) with something easier like gymnastics/oly lifting is perfectly reasonable given that advice.

Response thought #3-
True beans on the protein. Haven't found one yet. Thought I did, but it had an allergen in it so now I'm back in the market again sadly. But I eat 4+ eggs, plus a lot of meats and nuts so for now, my nutritional protein is usually 100 on a low day and 130-150 on a good day

Last edited by Erin Hightower : 04-15-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: English is hard and I am dumb
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would look into GymnasticsWOD for gymnastics assistance to your CrossFitting. Movement and progressions, less focus on gymnasticky metcons like Tuck's which is more of a hybrid standalone CF/Gymnastics Program.

For Olympic Lifting, I'd probably gank the daily lifting program from Outlaw so as to keep it light in volume versus doing a standalone lifting program.