CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Bill Rogers

Profile:
Re: Should I do SLAP surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Shrug. It's ultimately up to you.

If you don't want to do it then don't do it.
Steven - I'm trying to gage whether it's worth it. Is the pain and recovery versus potential benefits worth it? What are the percentages of risk for people over 40?

I hear people like you say that you don't even feel the screws or anything and I know that it's either a miscommunication via semantics or just not true. I know what it feels like to have screws drilled into your bones and the PT and recovery period is months, with at least a year's time until you begin to forget that you had the surgery. Perhaps in a year or two you won't feel the screws but that's not only not guaranteed but you're going to be in a good amount of pain for several weeks and crippled for several months during recovery. How much or how little I'm not quite sure as I don't know who is suffering from unusual complications or what is normal and expected.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Read this wfs
http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/...s/Default.aspx

Ask your doc what type of anchors they're going to use.

Anyway, I'm done here. It's really a personal choice so good luck deciding.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Heather Armstrong

Profile:

Bob... you really need to relax. I haven't had a SLAP repair, but, last September I had a biceps tenodesis, reverse Bankart, and posterior capsular shift on my left shoulder. I was 37 at the time of surgery. No, I can't feel the anchors in my shoulder (or my knee from the ACL reconstruct, or my ankle from the ankle reconstruct). I was immobilized for 6 weeks post op because of the tenodesis. I was back at work 7 days post op, and I was diving again in January, I started CF in March of this year. You aren't "crippled" for months afterwards.

My Dad (who is 63) has had 2 knee surgeries and a rotator cuff repair since the age of 47- he has no problems either, nor does he feel the anchors (I asked) even from the rotator cuff and knee repairs he had done in the late 60's (back when they filleted you open).

Last edited by Heather Armstrong : 07-25-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Bill Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Armstrong View Post
Bob... you really need to relax. I haven't had a SLAP repair, but, last September I had a biceps tenodesis, reverse Bankart, and posterior capsular shift on my left shoulder. I was 37 at the time of surgery. No, I can't feel the anchors in my shoulder (or my knee from the ACL reconstruct, or my ankle from the ankle reconstruct). I was immobilized for 6 weeks post op because of the tenodesis. I was back at work 7 days post op, and I was diving again in January, I started CF in March of this year. You aren't "crippled" for months afterwards.
My doctor said I have to wear a sling for a month. It will make doing much of anything impossible, including typing, which I am still supposed to keep the arm in the sling. But here's the real challenge - it appears you had some serious problems you had to correct. Honestly, in the last month or two, other than a twinge of pain when moving my arm I haven't had any problem. Showering is fine, sleeping is fine. Just picking up heavy boxes I might have some weakness here and there but I really don't notice it.

So there are two issues:
(1) Will doing surgery now really prevent a greater likelihood of further tearing?

(2) Will doing surgery make more than a marginal difference in improvement?

For #1, I was told it doesn't make a tremendous difference. If you're likely to tear it can happen again, it depends upon the activities you do. I don't play much basketball which shouldn't be a problem now either. Throwing a baseball would be nice but I don't throw so much any more anyways, or a football, mostly catching. Don't lift weights.

For #2 I was told I might have marginal benefits and potential issues. Many people report stiffer shoulders afterwards. Your limb never returns to the same as it was - I know that from my ACL and that was an excellent surgery. But with that one, I had no choice. With this one it's marginal. I'm hearing to do it mostly from people who had a real need to decide whether to have quality of life or lose a chunk. From my symptoms, I'm wondering whether I just have a more surgery happy doctor. I'm getting another opinion this week before surgery.

Quote:
My Dad (who is 63) has had 2 knee surgeries and a rotator cuff repair since the age of 47- he has no problems either, nor does he feel the anchors (I asked) even from the rotator cuff and knee repairs he had done in the late 60's (back when they filleted you open).
I'm sure that years later you don't feel them although I know on occasion I do feel my knee. Right now I'm younger and still single and out. Being out of the circuit for 6 months is a long time and it will probably be more. I remember how long it took with my ACL and it was a full 6 months until I could think about being somewhat active and really about 10 months until I could play sports properly. I'm trying to gage what the odds are.

And the last factor is, of course, insurance. I found out that mine runs out in a month after surgery. If that's the case, then there is a LOT of PT and appointments that will cost me a ridiculous amount of money. As much as I hate to say it... I'm not sure how to factor this in. We live in a different time and grew up when our country was wonderfully subsidized with all kinds of great quality of life plans.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Bill Rogers

Profile:

So yesterday I played tennis with an orthopedist for an hour and change and he has two torn labrums. I feel absolutely no pain or discomfort today and nor yesterday, perhaps an occasional "click" or possible soreness deep in the shoulder joint (which might have been just the use of the arm for a sport I don't play.) His opinion is that I must be crazy to even consider any surgery if I don't absolutely need it. If my insurance won't pay for it later, maybe I should consider it but reluctantly.

The more I realize how pain free I was playing tennis with my bad shoulder, the more he may be right about waiting until I really need surgery. I'll get the second opinion tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
Justin Metts

Profile:

Did you ever go through with surgery? If so, how did it go? How was recovery time? I am in a similar boat as you. I, however DO crossfit on a regular basis and am pretty sure i am going to go through with it (have been debating for several months now)
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

You have a SLAP lesion?

If it's interfering with working out and daily life it's probably best to get the surgery...

Recovery, if you are active, tends to take 8-12 months. Usually on the lower side... for those who are consisteny with working otu and eating healthy. Maybe even as low as 6 months before you're out of PT.